1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Johnny Football the Pick We Are Missing?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Would be something this franchise had never had. I'd be for it. But obviously if traded down.

2. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

A QB that is not clutch? We've had plenty of that. Ill pass

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A lot of the criticisms of Manziel's game as it relates to the NFL I have heard before when Seattle selected Russell Wilson. We all have seen how that has turned out. With the right coaching, Johnny would be a lot closer to Wilson than he will be to VY.

The on field results for Wilson have changed everything for running QBs. That is the blueprint for being successful.

4. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I don't remember hearing about all the off-field issues for Wilson though.

5. Major

Major Member

They are both small, but I don't think they play similar styles at all. Wilson in college wasn't really a running QB. He scrambled a bit, but he only ran for 300-400 yards a year and averaged a terrible 3 ypc. Manziel takes much more direct and brutal hits than NFL Wilson (didn't see enough of college Wilson to know what he did there) - he needs to figure out how to stop that while still remaining effective and dynamic.

6. ths balla

ths balla Member

yea all that "partying" in the offseason was really a detriment to his game this season:rolleyes:

7. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Manziel would be great! Also it would be funny to watch all Aggie hating Texans fans heads explode.

lol..

Gig em!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed. Wilson never struck me as a runner. I'm sure a lot of people here would be surprised to hear Tannehill is just as fast as Wilson. Wilson also never had 9 seconds in the pocket on a regular basis. Aside from their height I really don't see many similarities.

Manziel really does look like Tarkenton when he moves out there but I have no idea what that means in today's NFL.

I'm not too worried about Manziel taking hits. He isn't like Tebow or Newton, I think his game can evolve and he will learn to reduce collisions. I am worried about him not having time in the pocket though. I can see him taking sacks if he cant get used to 3 second windows and learn to walk away from extending every single play with his feet. Manziel seems to look 25-40 yards down the field on every single passing down.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Johnny Football or Teddy Touchdown?

As long as we win..

10. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Lots of fail on the analysis of Manziel on these posts.

I am not sure the Texans should take him #1 overall, but people are stupid to think that he will last until the 2nd or 3rd round. Guy's competitiveness will cause him to shoot up the draft charts. Fairly certain he will be a top 10 pick

11. today

today Contributing Member

I feel the complete opposite, I think his ability to perform in the clutch is one of his strengths.

Manziel has had PLENTY of clutch 4th quarter performances over the last 2 years. IMO he would have completed the comeback against Auburn (playing hurt) were it not for a blatant horsecollar that was blown by the refs. It would have been 1st and 10 from the 12 yard line with 20+ seconds left, plenty of time for 4 shots at the end zone.

I'd love to see him as our QB next year, but I'd rather see his stock fall for some reason and have us get him at 2.1 instead of in the first round. I think he's the only QB in the draft that has a chance to become elite (top 5 QB), but his downside is his elevated risk of injury.

#31 today, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Manziel will go in the top 10.

Tbh, I don't trust his work ethic. He's all about being famous, girls and partying. Great for him but not at the expense of the team I root for.

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's doing things now that quarterbacks do when they turn pro anyway. There's almost a case to be made that he's better prepared for these challenges because he's already been through it all before.

From everything I've read he has a great work ethic and even does his own training on the side. Not sure what the Manning camp deal was.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Like this guy?

[​IMG]

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is funny that there are writers out there advocating taking Manziel because he is a dynamic personality and the Texans have been too bland to this point. That's a stupid reason to advocate for one player over another. No one would care how boring Matt Schaub was if he was putting Aaron Rogers numbers up there and winning Super Bowls. If you think Manziel is the best QB in the draft and has the best chance to make the Texans a SB contender, you take him first. None of the other personality stuff should factor in (except as far as it might effect his on-field product...like getting DUIs and being suspended).

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Can't tell me that McNair and OBrien won't have a "conversation" about the possibility of Manziel. He is a once in lifetime kind of talent. Whether his skill set will transfer to the NFL no one knows, but is he worth the chance?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

The ultimate "wildcard" but I can't take a wildcard at number one.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

He's 21 and the first freshman ever to win the Heisman. Tell me that wouldn't go to your head, even a little bit.

And what has he done during the season to make you doubt his work ethic?

20. today

today Contributing Member

Another example of his ability to perform in the clutch. Hands down he's the best leader in this draft, and has that "it" factor, the intangibles that make superstars rise above the rest.

I'm hoping we trade down and get him someplace in the teens.

NFL Combine? CAN'T WAIT!!! 7 weeks away!

#40 today, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.