1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Johnny Football the Pick We Are Missing?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Yes I honestly believe he will be a success in the NFL and there is a lot of love for the guy out there as well. Just wish we would have traded up. So much excitement going to next season. Now I'm thinking 5-11 or 6-10 and not a whole lot of excitement. Just hope they are building a Old School Raven/Seahawk style dominant D.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... just saying there are far far (FAR) more examples of guys with his sort of pedigree failing vs. succeeding.

And even if he's the second coming of Fran Tarkenton, the Texans have far more needs to be able to go from 2-14 to 12-4 in just one off-season. A new regime, with an entirely new staff/system, a much needed talent infusion coming, and some unsureness as to how the older/existing players will "fit".

You take the best player available, which Clowney was, and go from there. If you don't believe the QB's out there have "it", you don't give up extra picks to get them.

As it is, if they were truly special, they wouldn't be falling to the late first round.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Do you mean like Rodgers :confused:

4. Bogey

Difference of opinions I guess. Not too upset about Clowney, was somewhat expecting that. But when Johnny slipped and the price of teams moving up in that range did not seem too high, I was dissapointed we did not trade up. I believe we could have added two possibly elite level players (one being at the most important position on the field) in one night. Would have been great for the team.

Now they just need to focus on getting an elite level D in this draft and go from there.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, you act like he's such a sure thing. I guess that's why he slipped to 22.

And I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Clowney if we traded down. Or picked someone else at 1.

6. Summer Song Giver

if you can't see that this team lacks a winning philosophy then I can't help you.

This draft went off like any other draft from the past and that hasn't exactly been a winning formula.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, lets keep bringing up the one example of a player who fell who actually turned out to be good... vs. the countless examples of flashy phenoms who were either taken too high, or taken somewhere in the first round and ultimately failed.

Rodgers was still a very highly rated player coming out of college... people expecting him to go #1... but once he was passed over by San Fran, it was the perfect storm of a bunch of remaining teams that didn't really need or value a QB.

Unlike this draft, where several teams expected to get/need a QB early (hell, even the team that eventually picked him), and passed over Manziel for other players.

Hell, there were only 2QB's selected in 2005 during the first 2 rounds (so none in the second round)... showing you the true "need" and depth of the QB position that year.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And reaching for a QB that obviously shouldn't have been a top pick (or even mid-round pick) is the way to do that?

Again, if he's the second coming... why did he slip so low? Why weren't other teams who desperately needed a QB just as much as the Texans clamoring to move up for him?

Why didn't the team he ultimately did get drafted by pick him with an earlier pick?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But you said it yourself... he slipped dramatically, and the price to get him was also pretty low.

Not a lot of support for a supposedly "elite" player by any of the NFL teams who all desperately needed a QB.

Why do you think that is?

10. Summer Song Giver

He slipped because he's small but this isn't your grand daddy's NFL, you can't touch a QB anymore. Now if he's RG3 dumb and refuses to slide, all bets are off but if plays with just a little bit of smarts then the Texans will regret not moving back up and getting him.

Bridgewater miss is debatable depending on who they pick, I think him and Carr are a wash but if they Jimmy G tonight then this team needs to be run out of town on the first bus leaving. You probably could have had Teddy for just a 5th and your 2nd.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again... don't all the NFL teams know this? BOB helped take advantage of the new rules by modifying the Brady offense to focus on quick passes prior to teams being allowed to make contact. You'd think he would know what "works" and doesn't work in today's NFL.

Also, his "size" has been known for some time, yet people were still saying he should be a top 5 pick regardless.

You still think that's the only reason he slipped?

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And Johnny Manziel is a winning Philosopher that would have provided the metaphysical winnery the Texans lack?

Just stop. It's over, he went to Cleveland. Good for him.

13. Bogey

Ok like I said, it is my OPINION and I'm not a gm, coach or scout. I thought he was the best player in college for two years and feel like his talent will work (or he will make the adjustments to get better) in the NFL.

All I'm saying is I am dissapointed and my excitement level won't be as high going into next year. I don't think I'm the only one. Seems a lot felt the same way about not trading up for Bridgewater.

14. Summer Song Giver

Let's hope either Ryan Fitzpatrick can or that Case Keenum can tap into that overwhelming greatness that is the Houston Football tradition to channel some metaphysical winnery instead; or maybe TJ Yates is the answer.

^ That's your plan A man?

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, getting the best player in the entire draft was really a complete failure. BTW, you know the draft isn't over yet, right?

Where have I heard this before.....

16. Summer Song Giver

JDC is a project now, trying to learn a new position, let's hold off on crowning him. Remember, Reed and Mercilus were asked to make the same transition, it hasn't exactly worked for the team in the past.

granted he's more talented than either of the others but he's also more in the prototypical 4-3 end mold than they were as well. Both Reed and Mercilus are more of the tweener college DE that are often transitioned to 3-4 OLB in the pros.

17. Raven

Raven Member

What's done is done. The Texans could have traded up. Manziel was there for the taking, but it's obvious the Texans didn't think he's worth the investment. They better hope they are right, because if Manziel has a strong start and Clowney has a slow start, it's going to get ugly.

18. Indaface

Indaface Member

All i wanna say is hearing sports radio this morning and hearing all the hillbillies call in butthurt that call in that the team didn't take Manziel is pretty good entertainment.

19. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I would've liked if the Texans grabbed Manziel along with Clowney. I think that would've been a great haul for the first round. Good for the Browns though, they got who the FO wanted and they got who their owner wanted along with more picks next year because the Bills really wanted Watkins.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

and Manziel is a finished product? again, no one knows how any of these guys will perform on the NFL level. manziel may turn out to be the best player in this draft. all that means is you got lucky in predicting so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.