1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ WATT more popular now than Akeem (and others)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Breaker

Breaker Member

Yes jj watt is a better player in his respective sport... thus more popular

Hake Em was one of the best centers in history, but not the best...

JJ could potentially be the best player on the entire defense in all of NFL history

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stop inventing arguments. Dream is my favorite athlete and he can be argued as the greatest basketball player. This thread is about "popularity", so that's what I'm speaking on.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In overall greatness or in the pantheon of all-time Houston greats? No... but at no point was Hakeem as popular either locally or nationally as JJ Watt is right now.

There's more people living here now, the NFL is more popular than ever, Houston is absolutely football crazy (in part because the other two sports have fallen into purgatory due to a lack of viewership), and he's doing things 3 years into his career that very few (if any) has ever done at his position.

I was as big of a Hakeem fan as any... but he just wasn't popular. Just like Tim Duncan isn't really popular. They're still two of the GOAT though.

4. Remii

Remii Member

I don't have to invent arguments when you make statements like this --->

It seems like you're insinuating that companies like Nike didn't want anything to do with Dream because he was African when in actuality Dream wanted nothing to do with them... And BTW, it's not like many of those athletes had a lot of dialogue in their commercials. I know Yao came later but remember his "Yo" commercial... When you're an athlete and good at your craft ethnicity doesn't matter _ see Earl Campbell being beloved all over Texas during that day and age.

Dream was popular _ he just wasn't iconic.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Sure you do. You disregard my praise for Dream.. then invent emotional, idiotic statements like....

I'm not doing everything I can to dog Hakeem, I'm simply telling you why he wasn't all that popular. Stop acting offended.

6. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not offended because I'm not African... I just think your statements are just based on how you feel about Africans.

And I grew up in NYC during the 80's when sports didn't have as much media attention as it does now _ and I'm not saying Dream was a house hold name, but he was well known to mostly anyone who paid attention to sports starting in his college days... And Especially when he made it to his 1st championship because practically everyone outside of Boston was pulling for Houston.

You're just putting the stipulation of being popular with commercial success.

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

LMAO

You don't have a clue how I feel about Africans.

8. conquistador#11

locally, Hakeem and watt can both wear pink on Wednesdays and like totally get away with it. When the texans exorcise their demons and win a superbowl, then, and only then will watt surpass the legend of dream.

nationally, watt is more popular because of the nfl being king and social media.

worldwide, it was big yao. makes me tear up just thinking about 2009.

9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

THREAD CLOSED

10. ubigred

Exactly.

How many national commercials does he have? The lame NFL Mobile one and that's it's it.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

3 (at least)... besides NFL Mobile he had 2 Fantasy Football commercials and gets regular rotation on NFL promos. His face is definitely out there.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Of course, JJ is more popular right now. He's playing like a beast. Watt needs to be retired at least 5 years to compare.

JJ may go Tiger Woods on us. Or we discover he's a pedophile. Or the Texans never have a winning season while he's on the team. He still has lots of time to tarnish his legend.

Legends are created over a career, not over two seasons.

13. ubigred

There is hope for this site after all. Thank you for the rational post.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Oh, you can call that post rational, but the one that actually answered your question gets ignored? Your hating self just didn't like the answer.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The question WAS answered. JJ is more popular "now" because JJ is still playing. But any rational personal would agree that the story book has not been finished. Lets revisit the question in 10-15 years.

Hakeem is one of the greatest NBA players of all time.
    As of right now, JJ is NOT one of the best NFL players of all time.

JJ has the "potential" to be an all time time. As the cliché goes, that simply means he hasn't done it yet. JJ is popular but popularity it fleeting.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Mostly agree with your thoughts,... I was talking to the other poster who asked how many national commercials Watt was featured in. He thought it was only one and called it lame. After being informed it was more than one, he disregarded that fact, then propped up your post. Classic case of not being able to admit you're wrong AND hating. Personally, I like whenever a Houston sports figure is propped and wouldn't call their commercial lame and just leave it at that. Dude was hating.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So who has all of the tweets from the Eagles, especially from Riley Cooper who called him a lame cracker? Supposedly they're all trying to mind **** him with tweets making fun of his "meltdown" last Sunday but they were deleted soon after they were put up.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dream has a statue. Watt hasn't even gotten a plaque