1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ WATT more popular now than Akeem (and others)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No, he wasn't.

Watt is huge everywhere... partly because the NFL is huge everywhere.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Until JJ helps bring a ring NOPE he is not .

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

it's about popularity, so I think you're wrong

if it were about greatness at his craft, then you're probably more accurate, although 1 player in the NFL has much less impact than 1 in the NBA, simply due to numbers

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

NFL is popular in the USA. But no one gives a crap about the NFL overseas.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

JJ plays the most popular sport in this country and is top 10 in nfl jersey sales nationally for an expansion team that hasn't won anything. He's an all American white dude who is easy on the eyes. To answer the question, he is and it's not even close.

6. Summer Song Giver

Hakeem all day for me. JJ is doing his thang but Dream brought home the trophy, twice, once as the lone alpha dog on a team full of role players, something I can't remember being done before or since.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

not until he wins a superbowl MVP

8. Remii

Remii Member

All of that but yet James Harden and Dwight Howard are probably more recognizable in this country and around the world...

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah I'm not sure Deion Sanders or Ray Lewis are bigger than Dwight Howard across the globe either. Why should Watt be?

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

In this thread: people confusing popularity with talent

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm sure it's an age thing. Younger people would say Watt because they don't remember Hakeem, Earl or Nolan.

I would say Earl because I was an impressionable little kid during LUV YA BLUE. And Earl Campbell was like a GOD to me.

I said last year the Texans should change Watt's number to 34. Can you imagine the mystique the number 34 would have in Houston if Watt was added to the list?

12. Remii

Remii Member

I also said across the country.

But guys like Payton Manning and Tom Brady are probably more popular around the globe.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And in this country, on a US message board, with the majority of people posting are located within this country (or are from this country originally)... nobody really cares about what people overseas think.

Hell, there are a lot more things overseas that people care about than US sports.

Overall, Watt is the most popular Houston athlete ever... doesn't mean he's the most accomplished or will guarantee to be the most revered. Its just the power of the NFL in this era... had Watt played 20 years ago, he likely wouldn't have gotten this much exposure.

O/U for Watt commercials tonight is 12. You could never say that about any Houston athlete... ever.

14. Remii

Remii Member

We do live in more of a social media and advertising era and this is Texas so J.J. is probably more marketable amongst local advertisers like HEB and Ford..

I got the over...

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wait. Are you asking who is more popular now? Or are you asking who was more popular? Hakeem in his prime vs JJ now? The questions have two different answers.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... his marketability, and the era he plays in, weighs into the discussion on popularity.

Hakeem was certainly the more accomplished, and had a bigger impact on his team... but he played in the less popular league, he was less marketable due to his persona and being from another country, and he played during the very beginning of the "internet" era where you had to still rely on local news, sportsradio, and newspapers for actual news.

Like I said earlier... if Watt had played 20 years ago, he doesn't get even half the exposure he's getting now. Likewise, if Hakeem played now... he'd be much more appreciated and would get a ton more national exposure than he did (still may not be more popular than Watt, for the other reasons I mentioned).

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You'd probably lose that bet. Dwight might be more popular, but he's had a 5+year head start and he's also a little hated. Just a matter of time before Watt passes him if he hasn't already.

Rick Barry '75

The Olympics helped Dwight and James worldwide, but I doubt either is more popular in the US.

... and accomplishment

Hakeem was never really popular.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If you lived through the Luv Ya Blue years (as I did), there's no debate - it's Earl by a 3 trillion miles. Bum was very popular and beloved but he was a coach, and no coach is going to rank above a player - if the player in question is a transcedent star (which Campbell certainly was).

Olajuwon really didn't... what's the word? Soften until those championship years - he rattled cages early in his career - he had a very contentious relationship with the team in the early 90s. But he was never fully embraced the way Earl was (the fact we're still talking about Earl nearly 40 years after his career started is a testament to that...)

Watt is playing in a much different media environment; the opportunities for exposure are far greater and he has taken full advantage. But the team was terrible last year; looks average-ish this year, and that's going to hurt his image a bit (not that it's his fault).

I will say this - I don't think there's another defensive player in this league who garners "must-see" - expect him to be focused on *heavily* tonight. I hope he can have the same impact Campbell did on a MNF at Three Rivers in '78...

19. Remii

Remii Member

On the flip side Earl and Dream were very popular during their era...

I grew up in NYC _ and when I was young all my Dad and uncles talked about was Earl Campbell. The 1st NFL game I ever went to was a Jets vs Oilers game and it seemed every Jet fan in the stadium was there to see Earl...

According to who... You...???

Everybody knew about UH basketball dude... Olajuwon's name was buzzing when he was in college and not just in Houston. I know that for a fact.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

According to reality. Hakeem was known because he was awesome, but he wasn't marketed or truly embraced.