1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ WATT more popular now than Akeem (and others)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NBA was in another place back then. NBA on ****ing NBC, bros. We lost football eventually. Hakeem had the UH connection. I'm not sure how you can compare Watt to Hakeem when the eras they played in were so different. The climate in the city was different. I think even Karl Lewis might have had the spotlight for a minute.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hakeem is the best and most popular athlete in the history of the city. JJ is the only person I can think of that can potentially dethrone him, but he has to win something

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll agree with the original premise.

Here's the key...I can't think of a Houston athlete in my lifetime that was so incredibly popular among casual sports fans in the city. Maybe it says more about people I know than it does about JJ, but I know people that weren't all that into the Texans (or sports in general) that know own JJ Watt jerseys and watch every game. My mind also goes to what I call the Facebook test. Basically any time he does anything positive on the field, my Facebook news feed is literally nothing but comments about what he just did. And when he scores touchdowns, forget it. It's another level.

I can't imagine that being the case with any other Houston athlete in any sport.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Cruz over Bagwell/Biggio? And as wrong as it is, they're so connected at the hip I would put them together in a list like this as one person.

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Popular locally or nationally?

Locally given the football fanatics (personally not a big football fan), I'd say probably.

However nationally, basketball players are generally a lot more recognizable then football players, I'm willing to bet James Harden and Dwight Howard are widely known then JJ Watt.

6. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I agree with what most are saying. JJ is at a high right now, but no way is he ahead of Hakeem imo. Like one post said, just ask the age group of around 30-40 and Hakeem will trump JJ.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In this city, VY had a moment too.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'd say as far as national popularity it would go to Watt. We've probably never had a Houston player that was this well known in all 50 states during him prime.

If we are talking just Houston and for me personally I'd say Dream will always be the most popular to me. JJ is well on his way though.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's probably more popular, but The Dream is the greatest professional athlete we've had.

10. what

what Member

Akeem never reached the high of popularity that Watt has. I think you, along with a few others, are misunderstanding the statement I made. Or else, you are coupling Akeem's greatness in the discussion. We are talking about pure popularity here, not greatness and not what Akeem brought to the city.

And don't give me this crap about how this is a different time, because I remember Bum and the oilers selling out the astrodome in the 70s after the playoff lost to the steelers and you couldn't walk around in the city without seeing Luv Ya Blue everywhere. Hell, they made a Kenny Stabler cola, in houston, for gosh sakes. And while he wasn't particularly part of Luv Ya Blue era, it was a testament to what houston fans support.

Also, and no matter what anybody wants to say about it, the houston rockets of the 80s (which included many of akeem's best years) languished in obscurity. The twin towers fizzled out so fast it made your head spin. After that, houston forget about the rockets till 93.

11. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Justin briber is also very popular........

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am an old timer Houston sports fan, and I love JJ but I am on board with you. The Dream and Earl, pure greatness. JJ has to earn it. He is on his way, but really he is just beginning his career. The Dream and Earl are legends.

1 person likes this.
  13. Remii

Remii Member

Didn't the Rockets make it to a championship in the 80's with Olajuwon :confused:

Anyway, Olajuwon had arguably 2 of the best back-to-back years of any player in the color television era and capped both of those years off with a championship. You could feel the electricity flowing through the city because We Believed in the Heart Of A Champion... The name of the city was changed. Is there a site called WattFans...???

You don't have to knock Dream to make your case for J.J.

14. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I remember when you guys on clutchfans discussed who's more popular between watt and parsons

15. what

what Member

Yes, it was called the twin towers. And again, I am not equating the greatness of Akeem, but just the relative popularity of the two players.

Also, for your information, I, along with most others who actually grew up watching the early 80s rockets but had little money to go to the games, watched sampson's miracle last second shot against the lakers on tape delay at midnight.

What can you take from that? Mainly that, not only hakeem, but the entire nba, was second class citizens in the early 80s. It took a while before the nba grew to what you know it is today.

Also, don't lose the fact that my #2: Bum Philips is also, in my opinion, ahead of dream.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Probably Yao Ming or JLin.

17. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

This!! Hakeem was all my group of friends talked about and we were all football players. Cambell 2nd, then JJ. IMO. Sprinkler in Nolan, Bum, Andre, Bagwell, Biggio, Cruz behind them.

18. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

Also you can't leave out Batty Bob

19. Remii

Remii Member

I just said that Olajuwon went to a championship in the 80's when you said his years were wasted...

And if you don't think Olajuwon was popular during the championship years... Ok.

20. what

what Member

I actually said that he languished in obscurity, far different.