1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin's race still a handicap? (rational responses only please)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Geronimo, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

1. I bet you there are TONS of Dirk fans in Germany. Why don't you make a big stink about that? Also, it may be a national country pride thing as opposed to you making it about race.

2. The fact you bring up Yi JianLian in a thread about Jeremy Lin, an American, is a good example of how some people like yourself still don't see Asian Americans as American.

3. To reiterate, if you actually go to Rockets games around the country, you'd find that most of Jeremy Lin's millions of fans are white, black, and hispanic families. The kid is very easy to root for, underdog story, overcoming struggles, humble, team-first, funny and articulate. None of those things that people like about him have to do with his ethnicity.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

1) I am Chinese, from Hong Kong.

2) I was responding to Second_Cousin's claim that Yi Jianlian did not have a rush of fanthom. I did not bring him up.

3) Your victim mentality is what pisses so many people off in this forum. Who said I don't like Jeremy Lin? Or said his ethnicity was the reason for his popularity?

You just flat out went on the offensive when ALL I did was post a link of Yi Jianlian's fan votes.

Good Job making Lin's face base look even worse.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Like that can even be possible.

4. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

Resorting to ad hominem is expected when you don't actually have a point.

Most of Lin's fans are not Asian, his fanbase transcends his ethnicity because of his underdog story.

To even try to bring up that he's only liked because he's Asian, is offensive and also completely misses the point.

People who try to say he's only popular because of his race, are the same ones who don't like him specifically because of his race. They dismiss that he might actually have game, and in their heads think he's only in the league as a marketing gimmick. It completely ignores his history where he was held back at every level because of his racial markers (the opposite of being helped by it).

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

it's all this 'eyeball' test. Sometimes out expectations and unconscious desire for a narrative which conforms to it. People are all individuals and sometimes like in the movie 'goodwill hunting ' a talent can emerge from the less expected soil. I think it's MORE than a race issue here, but race gets pulled in. It's the way we classify people, peg and pigeonhole them.

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Take a look at twitter dude, most of the ppl that tweet about him are Asian and there's a reason why it's Asian night in every arena he goes to.

7. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

The fact it's "Asian night" is totally out of his control, and more a reflection of society and the NBA than it is his actual fanbase. As I said before, some people honestly still think he's only famous because of Asian fans and that he's a marketing gimmick. NBA arenas see him with his racial markers, and treat him accordingly. If his racial markers did not factor in at all in the minds of NBA decision makers, there wouldn't be any Asian nights.

Just because some people, including NBA arena officers, think most of Lin's fans are Asian doesn't actually make it true.

8. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

I think there's a couple of posters in the past who said "Ling" has a Chinese National jersey or some craps like that. I find that to be pretty funny (and sad).

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Clutch said that I'd be surprised. Can someone confirm this allegation?

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Of course race is a factor, as it is in every other part of life. It decreases as folks get to know you. People who have witnessed more and are more ingrained in their thoughts are harder to sway and change than others. Confirmation bias exists for everyone at all times, and those who think that they are zero percent affected are just willingly ignorant. Most Asian Americans I talked to before, during, and after Linsanity thought that Lin was not athletic and had no special attribute, even ballers, despite the fact that all scientific tests and NBA results proved the opposite, so obviously Asian Americans are not immune to this. I myself can attest to having been guilty of the same thing when I watched an all-Asian team play at one point.

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

He's not famous because of Asian fans but it would be crazy to think that a majority of them aren't Asian.

As for the main topic. It comes down to his hardcore fans can't rationalize McHale's decisions so they just make up conspiracy theories to fit their agendas.

12. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

Was on YSR 1560AM just now.

Said Beverly is a better shooter, defender, turns the ball over less, and supported Beverly playing 15 straight minutes to finish the game.

If Jeremy Lin were black or white, people would see how ridiculous it was for a guy who did what he did last year and this year, to be immediately downplayed to be worse than Beverly who was playing in Russia a month ago.

It reminds me exactly of Stephen A Smith screaming every week last year that Lin was a scrub, a marginal player, how much better Felton was as a replacement, and how Lin is a bench player who had zero business ever shooting more than Melo

13. Ultimate6thMan

For what it's worth, I think you made entirely great points, regardless of how many people want to attack you for them.

And I'm african american btw...not a LOF, but probably a McOH.

14. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

I've been watching Lin since he was a player at Harvard, I've watched most of his games and been to many in person.

The TV cameras, I've noticed, love to zoom in on Asian fans during Rockets games, but I promise you that if you actually walk around an arena, most of his fans are not Asian.

Lin has tons and tons of white and black fans. For some reason people keep trying to say his only fans are Asian, when it's completely false. The TV's try to spin it like that too in their fan shots but it simply isn't true.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Holy crap, did you just completely ignore what I wrote?

16. VanityHalfBlack

You got yellow fever, you got yellow fever, you got yellow fever Chin Chan Love!!!!

17. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

I confused posters, what I wrote was not intended for you but the person you were responding to

18. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Did he mean in the Dallas game only or overall? If the latter, did he suggest to start Bev? It is understood that He may not like Lin's game but quite surprised he said it in the public (radio). Hmm.

19. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

He said there's basically no drop-off if Beverly is in there.

It's a great example of nonmalicious confirmation bias, the same deja vu from last year where guys like Stephen A Smith were absolutely convinced the kid was a fluke and that over time would prove to be a marginal fringe player

20. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Given his attitude toward... actually nevermind. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.