1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin your Point Guard of the Future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SF3isBack!!, Apr 28, 2013.

?

How many of you are comfortable with Jeremy Lin as our starting point guard?

1. Comfortable

58.6%
  2. Uncomfortable

41.4%
  1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

It was a potentially high lottery pick at the time of the trade. It was top 3 protected, so it could have been a 4th overall pick.

It was not "peanuts" because it was based on potential. Rockets traded a potential top 4 pick, along with lots of potential in Lamb and other picks. Just as the Rockets got potential in Harden.

It could have ended up as a top 4 pick, Lamb and those other picks blossoming into superstars, and Harden failing as a number 1 option and becoming a bust in a starting role and not worth a max contract. Or it could have turned into a bottom pick, Lamb and other picks becoming busts, and Harden becoming the next superstar breakout. More likely, it's somewhere in between the two extremes.

Morey addressed this specifically in an interview. He said that the pick was the largest and most important part of the trade. Without it, the trade doesn't get done, it's not just "icing" but the prime ingredient.

And as for Houston having the best package...the last time we felt that way was during the Orlando negotiations for Dwight last summer, and we all know how that turned out.

And the original demand from OKC included another additional pick and Chandler Parsons. If you didn't have the Toronto pick, you better believe Parsons would be in OKC right now, along with another pick and maybe taking back bad contracts. You needed something to make up the value of a potential top 4 pick from Toronto.

You really need to listen to Morey's interviews, so you don't come off spouting incorrect stuff like "icing" and "peanuts" when Morey states point blank that the pick was the primary piece of the deal when an interviewer posed the question of whether the trade would have gotten done without the Toronto pick. Maybe someone can refer you to the link.

2. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

+1

Protected top 3 in 2013, top 2 in 2014-15, top 1 in 2016-17, unprotected in 2018.

3. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

As none exciting as this draft is a 4th round pick may be nothing to pop bottles over. Maybe Morey knew this draft wouldn't be a great one so it's not like Presti had to pry it from him.

And it wasn't like there where a lot of teams out there willing to give Harden the 5 year max (or didn'tl have the cap space) so Presti wasn't really in a demanding position.

4. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Great one, espceailly since I am in it ;););)

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Shut this **** up. Just when the garm becomes readable again.

6. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I hear ya, especially since the bump is for crap like this:

7. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I give a "B" for Lin's performance this year, but Lin has not yet shown his stuff during playoffs and has been too inconsistent. A lot of it is mental.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nope!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VPuAOnATEdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too much of a wimp.

9. TheJet

TheJet Member

Anyone else disagree with this line of thinking? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying Lin should and will consistently perform at Linsanity levels if not for injuries and coaching? If that's the case I have to disagree. Time will tell but we have a much larger sample size of his play as a starter outside those magical weeks. Of course there's a built in excuse of "he has the wrong coach" to fall back on.

I think he's done well this year considering the expectations of some and the dislike of others. Unrealistic expectations are only going to get you frustrated.

1 person likes this.
  10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

If he can give the Rockets 14-16 points and 8-9 assists regularly with a back-up that is more fierce in driving in then I have no problem with Lin. If anything less then he is a glorified mascot that is only there for bringing in money from the Asian community.

11. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

No, no, no. Read my longer post (last page) regarding this topic. I was specifically responding to this:

12. zdrav

zdrav Member

You DO realize that if Lin averaged 8-9 APG, he'd be averaging more than Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, and Deron Williams did this regular season?

I think 15-7 should be a realistic expectation. Steady, but not dramatic, improvement from his first year as a starter. Of course, those numbers could change significantly depending on the Rockets' roster. My predictions are based on the roster staying the same. If, say, Howard or Smith joined the team, Lin's APG could jump up to nearly 8.

Also, "money from the Asian community" doesn't really exist. We've been over this before in other threads.

13. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

I think 16-7 is a realistic stat for next season. Post all star break where presumably he has recovered 100% from his knee injuries and was well-accustom to the system, he averaged 14.9 PPG and 5.9 AST. Of course that doesn't tell the whole story but the upward trend that he displays throughout the season is encouraging.

He just lacks the killer instinct when the team needs it. Next season I would like to see him trying to take over the game in short spurts if Harden/Parsons is struggling to score. His desperation-fueled game is always a fun thing to see.

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think Lin is a pretty good fit. He improved throughout the season, and should learn more and learn to play off the ball of Harden. He's a young player and should only get better, and has showed a high upside.

My main concern is that his high upside can only be achieved when he is primary ball-handler and running the offense. Obviously Harden is the better offensive player, and if Lin is just playing off of Harden wouldn't it make more sense to start a PG who is a better outside shooter and better defender?

1 person likes this.
  15. nickb492

I don't care if he averages that but if he can show up in big games and be the player that he is being paid to be then I'm fine with him. And this year I noticed and influx of more Asian people coming to the game that I had not seen since Yao was there.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

OMG how dare they, its almost as if they're proud someone of their ethnicity is in the nba

1 person likes this.
  17. zdrav

zdrav Member

Kinda tends to happen in a society where Asian role models, especially Asian male role models, simply haven't been allowed to exist for a long time.

18. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

That doesn't make any sense. How can they not be "allowed to exist?" Either people look up to someone or they don't. Or are you talking mind control?? Wrong forum, buddy!:grin:

And I don't know where you have been all this time, but there are plenty of male Asian role models today and there have been for many years.:confused:

19. nickb492

I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Nothing in what I said even hinted that I was saying that negatively. I just said that his coming to the team has brought more Asians into the center. As long as the place is semi packed I'm happy. But to say that there is not money coming from the Asian community due to him is silly.

20. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i2jVY1mavr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>