1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin your Point Guard of the Future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SF3isBack!!, Apr 28, 2013.

?

How many of you are comfortable with Jeremy Lin as our starting point guard?

1. Comfortable

58.6%
  2. Uncomfortable

41.4%
  1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

This will be an important offseason for Jeremy. By some accounts, he couldn't add new wrinkles to his game given his rehab. Next season will be very telling to his NBA future in my opinion. For example, Mike Conley was a mediocre point guard for the first few seasons of his career and now he's on the cusp of being an All Star. When it's all said and done, Jeremy might be a better fit on this team as a spark off the bench like JJ Barea was on the Mavs. But, if he and Harden can start together then even better.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

You are one of the reasons LOFs get the hate they do.

Lin has outplayed his contract?

Laughable. :rolleyes:

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i never once said anything about me feeling my opinion is at an "expertise" level. its just my opinion. i just think peoples expectations for lin are very unrealistic. hes a very limited basketball player who thrived in a free for all pick up basketball environment under dantoni. the desperation of the knicks market manufactured a "star." and were the ones paying for it.. le$ $aw an opportunity to rekindle hi$ relation$hips with chine$e inve$tors..

4. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

He's not a bad PG, but I just think we can do better, especially with the trade value he could have to get a PF or something. I'd like us to just sign Jose Calderon in the summer if we could work some kind of deal to trade Lin.

Maybe that's a "grass is greener" mentality, but with Harden playing with the ball so much, I would rather have a PG that's a dead-eye 3 point shooter with a high assist/turnover ratio, which Calderon fits perfectly.

5. Pubsaint

Pubsaint Member

ClutchFan seriously has tons people make knee-jerk reaction threads if Lin doesn't perform well in any game.

6. Luca

Luca Member

Nicely said. Repped.

7. AVoiceInACrowd

I wish people would stop making it seem like Lin is being paid like a star. You have to look at it in context. 8.3 million is WELL BELOW average for a starting pg not in their rookie contract. There are only four starting pgs not in their rookie contract making less than 8 million a year. They are Dragic, Lowry, Felton and Chalmers. Even Beno Udrih is making 7.3 million and he was coming off the bench this year for the Magic.

8. rockets0_12_7_1

I love Patrick's hustle and defense , and I think starting him in the playoffs is right, he has more experience in this type of stuff especially since he played in the Euroleague , Patrick is great off the bench in the regular season because he provides a spark, but you got to give Jeremy at least into the 2nd season to judge whether or not he is our future starting point guard , some of you need to be more patient, Jeremy is capable of producing efficient amount of points but he still needs to learn to be more aggressive , and I noticed his defense has been improving so he is working hard so give him a chance.

9. AVoiceInACrowd

You know you listed 3 guys who will be getting max contracts, once their rookie contracts run out. You would hope they would be better players.

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I mentioned something about Lin being traded, but does the poison pill kind of make him untradeable or does it not matter that much?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm just not feeling Jeremy as our starting point. He is still a valuable player, but asking him to come off the bench for that amount of money would be pushing it. So look for him to be traded.

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

What is this per 36 stuff? He played 32 mpg for 82 games.

And how did he have a better season than Gogi? Last i checked..nearly 16pts and 7 and a half assists is better than 13.4 and 6. They both shot ****ty percent, but gogi shot good last year for HOU. His confidence was never shook either.

But, whatever, he's our pg. And i doubt Les lets Morey trade him. Lin's got 2 years left. Get to work.

13. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I'm curious about this as well. He technically only counts for us as a lil over 8 mil for all 3 years. But, if traded to another team, would they have to pay the 15 mil in year 3? Or is that only if NY had matched? Basically he was already paid his 8 mil for this year instead of 5 mil bc the full contract was avg'ed out. And so any team who acquires him will also just pay 8 mil for the next 2 years?

14. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I am comfortable with him because he is Asian-American, and that is why I have extra incentive to watch the Rockets. If, tomorrow, we trade him for Ty Lawson or Lou Williams, I will still be a Rockets fan, but I wouldn't be as glued to my seat.

I watched 10 home games in person this year. That's a personal record.

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

You're right; It's terrible.

I'm not comfortable with him as the starting 1, but it's more due to the fact that his game doesn't mix with Harden's. Not only are they both ball dominating scorers who rely on getting to the rim, but they combine to make one of the worst defensive back-courts in the league.

Lin would be better playing with a Ray Allen/JR Smith/Klay Thompson type. He's not as bad on Harden on D, but he doesn't score enough to compensate.

I still think Lin could be a top 10 point guard in the right situation. In this situation, he's not close to that.

1 person likes this.
  16. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

JLin is not a championship caliber starting point guard.............

17. Roxs

Roxs Member

PTS and AST are an excellent way to evaluate PGs. With that said, it is not the end all be all. Scouting matters and as much as I love stats, I trust that Daryl doesn't use only stats to evaluate players.

But the problem is that people have blinders when it comes to Lin. He has been an excellent PG this year but everyone suffers from recency bias - either that or they've already made up their opinion about Lin long ago and it would take moving a mountain to change that. And when you present clear statistical evidence that contractions someone's bias, the typical response is that the stats that must be wrong or you must be an XOFer "manipulating" stats. (Not saying that you're doing this, just that it's the typical reply to me here.)

Would I take those PGs that you listed over Lin? Absolutely (maybe not Conley though, due to age/cost). The guys you mentioned may have better per game stats but they average 12% more minutes. We have the ability to get granular with PER MIN stats, so why don't we? When you do that, Lin is up there as a top PG and he has been for several months now.

Look, as a Rocket's fan, if you ask me if I want Lin as the starting PG, I would say no. Lin is not a finished product (no one is on the team) and I have concerns about him playing along side Harden. But we don't live in a Houston bubble. There's market forces, restrictions on player movements, and so there are very few players that are free agents or trade candidates that are going to be better than Lin while being cheaper than Lin. So I accept that and hope Lin continues to get better and gains more consistency in terms of game to game production, because in doing so, he would make the Rockets better. However, this isn't really that bad a situation as some here makes it out to be.

18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

"That's not a thing," said Jason Williams.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Im sorry but how are people still confused over this. forgot what goes into his bank account. The cap hit is 8/8/8 for the three years. if the knicks matched, the cap hit would be 5/5/15 THATS why the luxury payments in year 3 wouldve destroyed them. But because houston got him, its 8/8/8, for anybody who trades for him now. His bank account goes 5/5/15, but that is freaking irrelevant.

20. FearTheBeardJH

Lin is 0-3 in playoffs in his NBA career, I'll go with no.