1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jason Terry Expendable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Nov 15, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

In a recent podcast Zach Lowe said expiring contracts have no value anymore.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The new CBA took a lot of their appeal away, but they can still be useful.

3. baubo

baubo Member

You shouldn't take what people say literally. If you listen to Zach Lowe, you should be able to understand what he say in terms of context of the language for a particular situation. The expiring contract has no value in the sense that teams aren't willing to pay a price to obtain that expiring. This is different from the idea that it is literally worthless. Until the CBA states that you do not need to match salaries when making a trade above the salary cap, expiring are simply necessary to make the trade go through.

For example, if the Rockets want Rondo and won't trade Howrd/Harden/Ariza, they MUST include Terry to match salary. This has nothing to do with the "value" of expiring contracts and whatnot to the Celtics. It's just a necessary part of making trades. So clearly, Terry making $5.8mil does have value to the Rockets in so that it allows them to make a trade for Rondo.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

What you're pointing out is salary matching.

5. baubo

baubo Member

Yeah. I'm so bummed that we don't have Alonzo Gee and Scott Hopson anymore. If only we had them, man, we'd be championship contenders. What was Morey thinking? I mean, who cares about 2nd round picks when you have Alonzo Gee sitting in your lap?

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

With this lineup we are very well off. Terry has the necessary experience. Here is a big reason we are better than last year.

Harden: leader of FIBA gold medal team this summer
    Ariza: ring
    Terry: ring
    D-Mo: FIBA playoff experience this summer
    Garcia: FIBA experience this summer
    Papanikolaou: Euroleague, Greek league, Spanish league championships

We gained this much winning experience over last year. Stack that up against this year's Lin, Parsons, and Asik and their three huge egos.

7. baubo

baubo Member

Yes. That is value. For example, Boston can't just propose a trade to Atlanta and say, "I'll trade you a 1st for Paul Millsap and I'll throw in Gerald Wallace to make the salaries work. I know Gerald Wallace has 2 more years at stupid money, but haven't you heard? Expirings have no value anymore. So this Wallace contract is just as good!"

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

it has to be a really good offer to get rid of terry....he is gonna be clutch for the most part

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Howard in 2-3 years or the younger Brow?

Think about it

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

that is his opinion.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I dont see Daniels playing defense or running the point for a few minutes a game though. Daniels is a catch and shoot one trick pony so far. The last game Terry came to the man and caused that guy to dribble the ball off his leg. I don't see Daniels at this point doing a random play like that. As much as I like Daniel's potential to go off on some 3 point shooting, his use is very limited at this point.

Dorsey shouldn't even be mentioned as a backup. Apparently, he still has that plantar fasciatis that he's had for 6 years or whatever. Dorsey was signed in desperation as a reach player to work out.

12. benchmoochie

Fiba experience doesn't mean jack. Nobody cares about FIBA. Garcia? Come on man. Did you not watch his last game performance? Garcia shouldn't even be playing. If he can't hit shots, then he is pretty much unplayable.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No idea what you're getting at. Do you even know yourself?

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Every year there's some large expiring contract that's shopped hard and heavily promoted in the media. Even when insurance covers those contracts they can't be moved.

Look back at the T-Mac trade. NY's GM agreed to it because he trusted T-Mac had more years left after speaking to him. When the deal was done the Knock's sold that superstar hope to their fans. An expiring on its own has no value.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Respectfully 100% disagree. Actually people do care about FIBA, people like Coach K, James Harden, Kevin Durant, etc. Most NBA teams let their players play in FIBA despite risk of injury, because the experience is valuable.

Did you watch the FIBA World Cup? Can you find any respected basketball minds saying FIBA World Cup is worthless?

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sure, in the right trade every player is expendable except H&H.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

If Lin was expendable, then anyone is fair game.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I care about FIBA but I realize a long time ago NBA is a different game.

Faster, more athletic and more about individuality.

So someone like Garcia who is rather unathletic, old and a streaky shooter had a good run there but once he returned to the NBA facing little playing time he is going to be BAD.

19. benchmoochie

I worded that wrong. FIBA is just another avenue for players to improve their craft in the offseason.

I'm entitled to my own opinion. I don't really appreciate your questioning.

Yea I did watch the FIBA World Cup. And to say that Garcia has improved by playing in FIBA world cup this summer is ludicrous. Garcia is a mature player. There is not much he is going to improve on. Harden on the other hand did improve..his leadership skills and other skills which we are seeing right now..

You should not have included Garcia in your example.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know.

At some point you have to stop chasing the next big move and start building a team with chemistry.

If this team remains a top 3 seed I think you leave it alone. Unless that move is to get a legit 3rd star...otherwise leave it be.