1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden the laziest player in the NBA when he doesn't have a ball in his hand?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Oct 25, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have seen nobody claiming Haden is perfect I for one knows he has things he can do better physically and mentally.

Standing around at halfcourt is and has not been an issue with him.

Please tell us what he should be doing since nobody else does anything off the ball when they are not in the play.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I feel like I'm being gaslighted when people say that Harden walking around like it's a Sunday stroll when the ball isn't in his hands during a NBA game is planned and is beneficial to the team.

4 on 4 or 5 on 5 it doesn't matter, this team's offense especially in the playoffs is extremely predictable and hence why it goes on massive droughts so many times where opposing teams get a chance to erase large deficits on the regular with this team.

A player that draws attention like Harden is going to free up teammates more when the ball isn't in his hand my running around screens and being involved in the half court offense because that results in defenders expending more energy and making mistakes around screens which helps free up teammates for easy buckets. Standing at the half court line isn't helping his team. It's called being lazy and justifying it with a lame as excuse of "BuT FoUr on FoUr".

He's lazy when the ball isn't in his hand. Stating that he's doing it on purpose to help the team is laughable post hoc rationalization. It's so obvious he does it to conserve energy because he has horrible conditioning issues where he can't run around in a NBA game like the vast majority of NBA players or else he becomes useless.

Obviously no ons on the team, most importantly Dantoni, has the balls to tell Harden to stop being lazy.

3. fchowd0311

Yes it is a damn issue. Stop pretending that it isn't. The last time a player did something similar for just a few possessions in one game in a Rockets uniform was Tracy Mcgrady against the Raptors and people rightfully crucified him and that was just for one game.

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

REMEMBER, ALTHOUGH HARDEN AND WESTBROOK PLAYED TOGETHER BEFORE, THEY NEVER REALLY PLAYED TOGETHER! When they were in PKC, Harden came in off the bench and handled the ball, he played more with the 2nd unit.

I was at the game on Saturday and I'm a fan of Harden but Westbrook does make Harden look LAZY. I don't know if that makes sense to you but if Harden doesn't have the ball, he doesn't bring anything else to the game. He doesn't play well off the ball and this is what I was afraid of. Chris Paul had a good outside shot, so Harden and Paul could play off each other, Westbrook doesn't.

Westbrook is a HELLVA player, especially in the 4th Qtr with the ball in his hands and out of the two players, he gets the other players most involved. However, Harden is a smart player and I think he will adjust.

payaso likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yup. turns out we wrong after all - it took 2 games of Russ as a Rocket to make us see the error of our ways.

All of that highest usage in NBA history stuff was camouflaging the real issue.

topfive likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

His highest usage rate is at the sacrifice of being literally the laziest player in the NBA when the ball isn't in his hands. That isn't a exaggeration. The vast majority of NBA players would be waived with Harden's energy when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

7. Nook

Nook Member

First it was that Harden isn’t a good enough athlete to be a star.

Then it was that he was a gang member.

Then it was his weight.

Then it was his defense.

Then it was his sex life.

Then it was he was too good at going to the line.

Then it was that he was too lazy without the ball.

Now it’s body language.

I’m waiting for this to completely devolve into just coming out and saying: “He is a really dark black man that doesn’t know his place.”

I don’t get it... if he looked like Stockton or Curry everyone would be felating him and telling him to run for Governor.

jordnnnn, don grahamleone and topfive like this.
  8. fchowd0311

He still is overweight. If that is part of why he is literally the laziest player in the NBA when the ball isn't in his hands then he should get leaner. If it's all mental, that's a shame.

The Rockets can survive the regular season with Harden playing like this because of his immense talent when the ball is in his hands but that **** doesn't work against elite teams in 7 game series because the Rockers offense is immensely predictable.

9. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t the “laziest player in the NBA when the ball isn’t in his hands.”

It has also been pointed out numerous times that in the Rockets system he is supposed to remain at the top of the key and have had it pointed out why that is the case and how it benefits the Rockets.

At least you have backed off on the “Harden conditioning” arguments you used to make.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

He absolutely is the laziest player in the NBA when the ball isn't in his hands and it isn't close and any rationalization for it is post hoc justification. No NBA coach plans purposefully for their star player to stand around the half court line because they want "FoUr on FOur". It's the stupidest argument ever. A player that attracts attention like Harden is far more effective when the ball isn't in his hands when he's running around screens and confusing defenses where they make mistakes in switch assignments which frees up teammates.

If Harden needs to take this many plays off so he can be effective with the ball, then he seriously needs to improve conditioning or change his mentality.

11. Nook

Nook Member

He is still over weight? I hear this from you every season. You said the same last year too before he dropped 36/8. He busts his ass in the off season and he gets better every season. I just don’t see any validity to the weight or conditioning argument based on history.

Concerning the offense. The Rockets were winning the title in 2018 before the Paul injury. That was against one of the greatest teams ever.

The issues last year in the playoffs were largely defensive, as a result of lacking length from the loss of Moute and Ariza.

The Rockets have problems but it isn’t Harden’s weight and it isn’t really Harden off ball. It is primarily defense and personnel issues inside.

jordnnnn and topfive like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Fchowtexx back for the 2019-20 season, with his agenda.

"If such and such did this, they would be waived!"

No player has ever had to carry the extraordinary load and usage that Harden has, (not even mentioning the historical offensive ouput that comes with it). Harden is an offensive juggernaut and has transformed the game, consistently producing GOAT level offenses for Houston. **** off already with the nit picking bullshit.

The human body simply cannot tolerate that level of usage without rest, yes even on defense, yes even on certain offensive plays. This is the reason he can play every game, every season, and never gets injured. Harden isn't a genetic freak like Lebron or Westbrook who can just run and jump forever.

Get over it.

jordnnnn and don grahamleone like this.
  14. fchowd0311

I definitely believe he came into this season overweight and it shows. He's regressed even more off the ball and now resorts to taking 18 lazy threes instead of actually running the offense and completely shuts down and starts pouting when the refs don't give him his calls.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll take "Statements that SHOULD be true but sadly aren't" for $1million Alex.

Nook, jiggyfly, jordnnnn and 2 others like this.
  16. fchowd0311

Aren't there NBA metrics that show Harden runs almost the least amount per game amongst all guards tying 7 ft big men?

Players like Rip Hamilton and Steph Curry burn more calories with their style of play than Harden. So no, Harden doesn't lead the league in expending energy per game because his play style doesn't expend as much energy as players who run around all game.

Usage rate doesn't always have a perfect correlation with expending energy. Usage rate doesn't show a player like Rip Hamilton or Klay Thompson being an Energizer bunny running around screens all game on offense AND defense.

The difference in energy expenditure per game is going to be so apparent when Harden is playing next to an actual Energizer bunny in Westbrook game in and game out.

#96 fchowd0311, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    bmelo likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Excellent strategy, seeing as how the one of you not named Nook is dead wrong.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Are there? If you know these metrics exist, post them here or point us toward them. Otherwise, you're just hoping something is out there that will justify your questionable take.

#98 topfive, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Harden hate from fans of other teams is bad enough, but to get it from within... it's horse-****.

The man is all about Houston.
    He played his ass off for us for 8 straight years.
    He's never missed the playoffs.
    MVP.
    Improved defense.
    Added an unstoppable move (unless you change the rules or cheat).
    Convince his friend to come here.
    Helped Morey build compatible players around him.
    Found a good coach for his style.
    Bought a franchise sports team in town.
    Donated a million to hurricane victims.
    Throws a yearly party for the great people of Houston.
    Supports the other teams in town.

But you hate him. I have no clue why. I'm guessing you straight up hate Houston too.

Nook and larsv8 like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm a James Harden stan. I do wish he would do more work off the ball. I don't think it's "lazy" though. I did use to believe that, but I've come to respect Harden's work ethic way too much to boil it down to laziness. I think it's simply a choice he has made.