1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden a Max player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by onreego, May 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

OKC can offer the most money out of all the teams, but other teams can offer Harden the starring role. This is a tough decision for Harden. Regardless of where he goes, he is going to get paid, but he has the opportunity to be THE man as opposed to being third banana/unsung hero.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He will be restricted. He does not get to choose.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We could have extended him. We just didn't want to give him the max.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Morey is strict about his "no extensions" policy. He lets them test free agency and then decides whether or not to match. However, Goran is unrestricted and in this case it came back to bite Morey in the ass.

5. red_alertz

red_alertz Member

any way to sign and trade harden for world peace?

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree,I think Perkins will be moved in order to re-sign Harden. Part of the reason why I gave those numbers was because they are a small market team.

7. Carl Herrera

They cannot because of the rules specified here: https://webfiles.uci.edu:443/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q58

For non rookie scale contract extensions (Dragic is a 2nd round pick, and does not have a rookie scale contract), the new 1st yr salary for the extension is limited to 107.5% of prior yr salary. They can't pay Dragic much under this rule as an extension.

Hope this clears it up.

8. Carl Herrera

Wrong. See my post above. This has nothing to do with policy. Dragic isn't taking no $2 to 2.5 mil/yr extension to be a backup again.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ya I dnt see we're all this money is coming from Westbrook and KD both make the max and perk makes 7.5 mil a yr so I dnt see we're there gonna have the money to keep harden and ibaka. My guess is they pick one, but even at that u still got to give one of them a max or near max deal and hope that team is good enough to win it all cause they will have no room then to make any othe moves for a few yrs and while I like that team a lot what worries me is they have no low post scoring option at all and I think that may be a big Downfall in the playoffs.

The rockets best case scenario is for okc to loose bad against the lakers nxt round and maybe try and swing a deal for ibaka with scola plus other young talent being involved and us taking back a bad contract. This gives okc a low post veteran options down low in scola and possibly clear up cap room for them to sign harden. What do you guys think of this I'm not a cap guy but do think a deal involving ibaka and scola as the center pieces of each team could possibly get done.

10. Ricksmith

Dragic was on a 4 year contract, and your link clearly says contracts 4 years or more can be extended after year 3. :rolleyes:

11. Pete the Cheat

Scola is making the money that OKC will be looking to re-up Ibaka for. Doesn't make sense if the end goal is keep Harden. No money saved

12. Carl Herrera

For what amount?

$2.26 million is the max 1st yr salary on the extension allowed by rule. Dragic could have made more than that in the market even he never became a starter. There is no reason for him to take an extension under the rules.

#112 Carl Herrera, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  13. Ricksmith

I said Morey could have extended his contract, but he didn't due to his no extensions rule. You said it had nothing to do with that and he wouldn't take that extension due to 107.5% salary rule. After year 3, Dragic was still a backup and hadn't had a chance to start yet. At that time, he could've accepted the extension or declined it and decide to test free agency. Do you really think Dragic would've turned down another deal based on the hopes and dreams that someone would offer him more?

14. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Nice reading comprehension skills.

15. Carl Herrera

Will Bynum makes $3.2 mil a year, CJ Watson makes 3.4 mil, Steve Blake makes $4 mil a year. Why would Dragic take roughly $2.38 mil a year instead of exploring the market? Is it a "dream" that someone will pay him more than a measly $2.38 mil a yr for 3 yrs?

16. Ricksmith

Neither one of us are gonna be able to prove a point. My point is, why risk something like an injury, a bad stretch of games that could ruin your interest, etc. when you could take more guaranteed years. Your point is turn down the low extension and become a free agent to get a bigger paycheck.

Since you're here, do you think James Harden is a max player?

17. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Really dude $10m/yr? So deandre Jordan is worth more than the new big game James the most efficient sg in the league?

18. RJoc5onJr.

RJoc5onJr. Member

i don't think he's a max player, but he's pretty close.

19. Carl Herrera

Give me some examples where a player took an extension at $2.4 million or less for the sake of insuring against injury risk for one season they were about to become a free agent and expected to make much more.

20. Ricksmith

I am not about to sit here and do some homework for you. If you think I'm wrong, then fine. That's your opinion. Back to the topic, James harden is worth a max contract. The elite shooting guards are getting old and Harden looks like the future of that position.