1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jahlil Okafor the most skilful big man in the league?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by andersongo, Mar 2, 2016.

1. hlcc

hlcc Member

That draft still have Towns, Porzingis & Turner. Booker is solid as well and even Russell seems to have turned a corner after escaping La La land.

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. BackdoorHarden

"I truly thinks that Okafor, if he can get his conditioning on point and escape the Sixers hellhole, is the next transcendental offensive talent after Curry is out of his peak."

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nook and RudyTBag like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think I was actually referring to the 2014 draft. I believe that was the one that was hyped for a few years before it happened.

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Actually I think Booker is on same level as Towns and Porzingis. Don't forget he is averaging 22/6/4 with 3P% of 41% and is finally showing some effort on defense at 21y of age. The rest of Suns are either too young or bad, so he is doing all that while being focus of opponents' defenses.

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Embiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jahlil Okafor confirms he asked for buyout.

@JahlilOkafor wants a buyout or to be traded ASAP.

@JahlilOkafor on not having option picked up: "I was fine with that. Honestly, I did not want them to pick up my option."

@JahlilOkafor: "I’ve been going through a lot since I been here.

"The fact that I know that at the end of the season, I would at least have an opportunity to play elsewhere."

"Now, I’m just in a position to where how can I just get on the court. That's not happening here. And I want to play."

@JahlilOkafor: "This is my life. This is my career and I’m not getting an opportunity here, which is fine.

The team looks great and I’m not a part of that. I want the team to do great things, but at the same time I want to play.”

The #Sixers don't want to give @JahlilOkafor a buyout, because that would be giving him away for free.

@JahlilOkafor "Bryan didn't think [a buyout] would be a good idea, because he said 'He would be giving me away to a team for free but that's pretty much where we stand right now.

#67 J.R., Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Vivi, BigMaloe and RudyTBag like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man. He plays absolutely zero defense, but on offense he is a maestro.

I would LOVE to know what Mike D'Antoni thinks, because he was up close and personal with the whole Sixers team.

Also, our team is pretty damn old and sometimes it shows. I would love to inject some more young talent into the roster as a sort of security blanket for the future.

BigMaloe and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Dear lord I hadn't thought of that. He would absolutely make it work.

10. Raz

Raz Member

No, he's not. Even his offense is not on NBA level. Where do people get that idea from? Okafor has exactly one move, he can't pass or shoot and the Sixers' Offensive Rating hits rock bottom when he's on the court. Complete bust and not worth a single dollar or a minute of time for any NBA team.

11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

The Sixers were stupid for drafting him in the first place. I'd take him as a backup if he's bought out. An upgrade from Nene and Black for sure

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If you are going to hold the Hinkie tank years against him, that's your prerogative Bobby Brown. The guy was 18-19-20 years old on some of the worst teams with some of the worst teammates of all time.

Put him in some pick and rolls with James Harden and watch him score baskets against the Warriors that only a handful of guys can score. He has all the tools withing 10 feet of the rim. As a 21 year old, that is a damn good place to start. The rest of his game needs to make strides for sure, but he is a 21 year old C, that is normal. Absolutely a good buy low candidate, especially a team with Veterans that can teach him how to be a Pro.

13. Raz

Raz Member

The numbers are from last year when Hinkie was already dismissed, which was by the way the biggest mistake in the younger Franchise history. And why do you bring up the team quality against his Net Rating? This makes no sense. To get it clear: The Sixers offense gets worse (no matter how good or bad his teammates are), when he's on the court. And not by a few points: The Sixers had an average Offensive Rating of 100.7 last year (worst of the league). With Embiid on the court, for example, it raised to 102.4, so he improved their offense. When Okafor was on court, it dropped to 95.1. Do the math.

Plus, you bring a highlight video against crystal clear numbers? Really? Let me guess, you have never seen him play, other than these highlight videos. Since you brought him up, we could make a video of Bobby Brown shooting lights out and look like Harden on the field. There's a reason why nobody wants to trade for Okafor. He's useless, no NBA level talent.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What, are you kidding? Pop could make it work with a 6'2" 49 year-old white (i.e., not-so-athletic) guy at center. So far the Spurs haven't returned my calls, though.

Codman often alluded to Okafor as a Rockets' target of interest. Whether we have the goods to get him now, or if the interest is still there (let alone if we wouldn't be outbid), who knows?

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Young Footwork?

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was his reference. Cod would be shy talking about this now after OKC swooped in and nabbed Melo.

Anyway, don't know if we'd still have interest. Yes, I imagine, but only for a Morey Jedi mind trick sort of trade.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Because team quality impacts development of youth, structure of situational lineups, where you get the ball, where you are placed on offense and defense, ETC, which all impacts your net rating. People used to say the same about Zach Randolph in Portland, or Rudy Gay on any other team but the Spurs, Chauncey Billups before he got to Detroit, as well as countless other players.
    I think it is pretty obvious who hasn't seen him play. I also think it is obvious who is very young and naive. 21 year old Centers are not finished products until much, much later. If you had been around the game you would know that you can't teach the types of floaters, footwork and finishes that he is capable of, at nearly 7 feet tall. That in itself could be a valuable NBA tool If he finds the right system, especially in the playoffs when teams aren't giving up dunks. If you have a C that can go Bobby Dandridge around the rim, you can maintain an effective interior game whether be it a post up or a pick and roll.

(It is very odd to explain the value of exquisite footwork and dynamic touch around the rim to presumably a Houston Rocket fan)

HUGE NBA skill. Whether he develops his defense and work ethic to go with it is anyone's guess. At 21, he doesn't even know what he doesn't know.

payaso likes this.
  20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Okafor is a poor mans greg monroe/al jefferson, no defense, no rebounding, he could make up for it if he had a jumpshot but he can't shoot from open midrange, let alone the 3.

I knew the 76ers process would fail the moment I heard that ownership forced Hinkie to draft the overhyped Okafor over Porzingis at #3, they then fire him a year later regardless, no honor amongst thieves I guess.