1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it worth it to pursue a 8 month role coming from a secured job

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dilemma:

I think I'm maybe 70% sure my position is secure with my current company. Problem is I am not happy with my growth here and not excited about the field of engineering I am in. Almost 2 years working here, first job.

Now, there's a job on indeed as a business analyst where there's a skill i want to gain but it's only an 8 month contract. Not sure if it upgrades to a full time. But the skill gained is SAP and it might help me get the jobs I want in the future, because I'm already having a tough time looking for a BA position.

1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Apply and see what happens. Odds are they'll never contact you about your application anyway.*

*Not meant as a slight against you - the odds of getting interviews for any online job application are pretty slim.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

But i mean in general, is it a good or bad idea to do such things as this what I'm thinking of doing?

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

sent you a rep.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It depends on where you are in your life if this is a good idea.

1. Do you have a wife, kids or dependents?
    2. Do you have a decent amount of savings built up? (at least 6+ months would be "decent")
    3. Will the things you learn and do in those 8 months make you a more desirable candidate?
    4. Is your position or field lucrative enough where the job market for said position would be higher, lower or the same after 8 months?

Being in IT, I've made this same decision many times. For me, I'm single with no kids so me being able to say "screw it" and follow the money or experience hasn't been a big deal. Having responsibilities and a lack of long term planning makes it a tougher decision.

I took some jobs I wish I hadn't, and left some I wished I'd stayed with. The only person that can really decide if it is worth the risk, is you.

ASIDE: Remember, that even if you are unemployed you MUST have health insurance now. So take the price of a COBRA plan into consideration if you have to float medical insurance on your own for a few months. It ain't cheap.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you already want out you need to get out of your comfort zone, take the contract gig, network, and spend those 8 months looking for something else and let that 8 month gig shake out on its own. That contract job will reinvigorate you and light a fire to find a job you do like since you have a likely immediate 8 month deadline.

Sorry for the back-to-back run-on sentences. Take the leap.

7. Svpernaut

If he doesn't like the current job, he can look for full time positions elsewhere. To me, this 8 month opportunity would have to be really special. Why? Because if you take it, and it lasts only 8 months. Every single job you apply for in the future will have the same question.

You left a full time job for an 8 month contract? Why is that? You better have a good answer to that question. Not saying that you can't have a good answer, but this short-term contract better give you a crap-ton of OJT or experience in a new, exciting or important field or technology. Even worse, is if you have a "gap" in your resume after those 8 months because you couldn't find a new job for a few months or longer.

I wish I would have thought harder about some of my decisions in the past. I'm glad I am where I am, which is great - but maybe I could be even further along if I actually thought it through.

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

I've gotten the same advice from a lot of coworkers in the IT field. This speaks to me as well since I have no kids, wife, and dont really have anything to tie me down. If I was offered to take a job in another city(contract work for an X amount of time), I'd probably do it.

The advice I've gotten was that since I'm under 30 with no kids/wife, it would be good to be able to travel around and learn how to work in all types of environments. In the end, it depends on the situation you're in.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Forgot to add that I've been doing contract work, not full-time. Plays a huge part.

10. Svpernaut

You make good points. In many fields if you move around every year or two, you generally "move up" faster in the ranks than if you sat at the same company for 10 years getting 3%-7% raises every year. But, doing so risks getting a steady paycheck from time to time - so having a nest egg to fall back on is critical.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It also really depends on the company offering the contract. Some of those companies are just looking for a body and will really do a terrible job of training you and giving you the type of experience and knowledge that you want. For some companies, they've already secured the billable hours and just need a body to fill the role so they can get paid. And it happens a lot more than you think.

I think the better avenue is to find a company that offers growth potential and the possibility of transitioning roles even if it means taking a position that is similar to what you do now.

I'm always very skeptical of contract roles in IT and technolog if you're taking it to get experience. I know SAP is an exciting field but if you want to get into that look into one of the big technology service and consulting companies like Accenture or IBM. They hire people in massive volumes to fill out those types of roles. And they'll actually take the time to train you properly.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't like my current job but i'm paid 6 figures to sit on my a$$, comment on message boards, play on my phone and a bit of work in between

Should I quit my job? And go back to school?

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

So I have an interview for entry level business analyst position this coming Tuesday. Skills i will gain there are: agile for software, scrum, TFS. Is this transition good from engineer to business analyst with this type of skills?

Thanks.

14. sw847

sw847 Member

Like other posters have said, first you need to consider is your personal family situation, do you heavily depend on each paycheck? can you afford any length of time without a job?

From my experience an an employer (I am strictly speaking for myself, not representing any other employers), if I create a position of a short term contract, usually I only need that person for that specific length of time, e.g. a project manager when we were building a new factory. Obviously there will be an offer for opportunity for long term employment, but that usually is only a motivation strategy, rather than a promise, motivated new blood also acts as a stimulus for other employee, unless that person is EXCEPTIONALLY good at the job.

You have to weigh out whether the gained experience is worth it or not, whether it will pay off? In my experience, unless it is a great opportunity, don't switch jobs that often. Many people will follow the money/position etc, but as an employer I would always reward loyalty. Also you have to pay dues where ever you go, you have already worked at your job for 2 years, another couple of years in your position, you will become an 'expert' in the field at your company, the rewards in the future is greater IMO. It is always a put off as an employer if I see a person will A LOT of work experience but not one is for a significant period of time. IMO that is at least 4-5 years.

Personally at this stage of my life, I would not do it. IMO nothing is yours unless it is in your pockets. Guess that has to do with me having kids etc....

Hope this helps.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

I should have made a new thread. My last post is what's on topic now. Sorry man.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is the business analyst position a secure job, or an 8-month contract?

Just take what you can, breh.
    If you don't like it, you can always find something else down the road.

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Contractors get paid way more. OT ftw.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Life is more fun when you take risks

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's a full time job. Career transition is concerning me. From engineer to the less fancy title... Business analyst. Might be a little less pay too. But more happiness for me? Ceiling of engineer is obviously higher than BA.... But not totally confident i can reach that ceiling as engineer vs BA.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This doesn't sound like a good transition to me at all. Why not try getting another engineering job?