1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is it too soon doc rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by futureman, Nov 4, 2005.

1. futureman

futureman Contributing Member

hey doc, you had some nice infor for us but couldn't tell us until the beginning of the season. game one is in the bag. is it still to soon to talk.
    word.

2. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I forgot. It's not groundbreaking but it's worth noting, I guess.

Last year, during the whole broadcasting debacle at the end of the season, the Rockets were looking to replace Van during some games because of VC's own games. The Rockets contacted Charles and Kenny and get this - HAD A DEAL IN PLACE for Charles to come down here and guest host. I don't remember all the details as to how it was to work out but IT HAD BEEN SIGNED and was in place.....until...

Van Gundy gets wind of it. He storms into Nelson Luis' office and tells them that there's no f'ing way that guy is going to be on the sideline with my team - No way! Someone better change it right now. Charles will NOT be the color guy! All this came from VG's mouth and it got done! They contacted CB and let him know that they were going in another direction. I do not know exactly what they told CB or how it was told to him but CB, and I believe Kenny at some point, had actually signed the deal to do it until JVG brought it to an end.

I know people think that CD and Les and others run that team but it is untrue. CD does not get players for JVG. He gets the players that JVG wants down here....that's it!

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

:mad: :mad: :mad:

You mean we have Clyde Drexler because Van Gundy doesn't like CB4?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

4. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I wonder if Charles and Kenny would actually talk positive about the Rockets. :eek:

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Wonder how much he had to do with Calvin not coming back?

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

damn you JVG!!! we could have had barkley doing color??? that would be worth league pass money alone!

and as far as them speaking positively about the rockets, they would if they deserved it. they give credit where it is do. i like those guys because they call it like they see it.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I think JVG took it personally. CB used to make fun of Knicks all the time and would especially rip on Oakley, who was one of JVG's favourites. And I guess I was right about who controls who comes in and who goes out. CD only does what JVG tells him to do. JVG wants and has full control of the team but he does not want everyone to know and see that he does.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

doc said guest host, im not sure how long of a guest he was meaning....

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe JVG just thought it would be a disctraction of some kind??

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm not down with Barkley doing our color commentary either. He's been hating on the Rockets ever since he retired. I wouldn't have minded Kenny though.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah. Barkley makes it interesting because he can make an ass of himself with his stupid comments. But the constant Rocket hating would be annoying. Someone said he calls it as he sees it. But if someone's blind as a bat I don't want to hear him calling anything. He ragged on Yao before he really knew anything about it. Making sensationlistic comments doesn't make him a good commentator.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Well he's actually called Houston the 2nd best team in the West on TNT this year

13. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I'm glad Barkley didn't come. He would have been a distraction, and in the setting of color commentary, he may not be very good. He's OK at picking his soundbites on TV.

14. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

It would only have been for a few games while Van C. was out, so no big deal. Not like we would have had them this year or anything. It would have been cool though. I can vaguely see Charles being a distraction, but damn JVG, that's picky! It does make you wonder if he felt the same way about Calvin (nothing to go on there of course, just makes you think). Thanks for that, Doc. Little stories like those are always welcome. :)

15. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

JVG is a perfectionist, and perfectionists like to limit the number of variables in their environment. Sure, Charles probably wouldn't be THAT big of a distraction, but why take the chance?

I love Charles but come on, he is not exactly the embodiment of hard work or team play. Do we really want someone like that hanging around our guys?

I'd watch the Rockets without sound if that helps them in any way, even just a little bit, win the championship.

16. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Regardless of whether or not JVG has a personal dislike of Barkley, ultimately what JVG does is for the good of the team. We've already seen how JVG will go to bat for his guys so lets give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. I tend to think that Charles blabbering about stupid sh*t all day long on the sideline would be a distraction to the players. We don't need that kind of nonsense, seeing as how all of our guys are still figuring out how to play with one another.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I really do not see how the color commentator can be a distraction to players in a game. Who on the court pays attention to him during the game?? Especially and ass clown like Charles.

As for Van Gundy selecting the players he wants-I have always believed he is a micro manager - as he should be - the 5 mil per year he gets paid makes him accountable to the owner.

I do not blame Van Gundy for letting CD get credit for aquisitions-Van Gundy can focus on the team on the court.

This is so wierd- I am only luke warm on Van Gundy 's offensive coaching skills, but on this I agree with him and defend him.

Focus on the team play and minimize outside distractions-good strategy.

Demand what you want Mr. Van Gundy - we support you on this.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. I love JVG, but I would love to have had CB as our color commentator.

I can't beliege this. WHy would he not want him around. Damnit.

19. MONON

MONON Member

I can't see CB doing color for more than a week. That's about as long as I could stand his totally off the wall comments.

20. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Not that I don't believe you but your source seem to have a thing against JVG since day 1.