1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to restore the Supreme Court to legitimacy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 26, 2022.

?

Should the court be expanded given the far right agenda?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Court has gone nuts which radical right-wingers hi-jacking it to put forth their religious beliefs upon all of us in a gross violation in the separation of church and state. We're seeing Thomas now talking about rolling back gay rights and contraception which is again, just incredible ludicrous.

These people think it's more unholy and dangerous to carry a condom than a gun.

I wasn't in favor of this before, but I think to save this democracy, we have to take the step of expanding the court to stop further damage to the Republic from the crazies that got on it. Add four justices not know to be liberals or conservative which should at the very least restore balance to the decision being made. I think this Court has shown the country that it has lost its way.

The threat to undo the history of precedent and completely start over is simply unacceptable.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

geezus Lou, step away from the keyboard. go outside and take a walk. :D

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"The liberals made my life miserable for 43 years," a former clerk remembered Thomas – who was 43 years old when confirmed – saying, according to The New York Times. "And I'm going to make their lives miserable for 43 years."

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Congress has the constitutional power to expand the court. This Court needs to be reformed after 3 recent members of it basically lied to Congress and Americans.

Expand it and reform it (18-year term limit for example). The only way this can be done is Dem win a super majority or a big enough majority that they can do away with the filibuster.

Nook, adoo, Newlin and 2 others like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been leery of refoming of the court but I think recent moves show that the court is clearly out of step with the majority of the country. I would support an 18 year term limit for Justices.

Just to note any changes still need to get over the Senate vote and it's doubtful changes to the court will even get to a 51 Senate majority in the current Senate. I know a lot of people hate hearing this but it still comes down to voting and winning elections.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Wow lol.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Sweet Lou 4 2

= approx 6.5 messages per day

Os Trigonum

= approx 18.5 messages per day

Just FWIW.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The court should be expanded to 13 to match the number of federal circuit courts. Not because Trump got 3 picks, two of which were clearly unjust.

Xopher likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

If you were to expand the court (there really should be more district and appeals courts so things don't take as long), the only non-partisan way to do it would be to pass the law now, but say the 2024 President picks 2 people, and the 2028 President picks 2 people. That leaves it up to the people to decide how the court expands.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

To be fair it's not Lou's first account. I don't know on O's

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Republicans did ruin the Supreme Court by blocking Obama from nominating a replacement about 11 months before the 2016election while rushing a pick for Trump a month before the 2020 election. Neither Gorsuch nor Barrett should be on the court. But they are now for life. No recourse.

Xopher, TheRealist137, Sajan and 4 others like this.
  12. HTM

HTM Member

I don’t think packing a court is how you legitimize it. Pretty much the opposite. If Republicans were talking about this, Democrats would be apoplectic.

13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I think the American experiment is over. At least post-World War II federalism. We are stuck with justices using originalist interpretations from a document from when blacks were considered chattel, Indians were savages to be conquered, and only land owning white men mattered. Slavery took a civil war, the Indians were pushed onto reservations, and the country needed amendments to let blacks and women vote while preserving the felon loophole.

We should get an amendment limiting a justice to 12 years.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I just don't think it's a good look for Democrats to be whiny ass b****es stomping the floors like petulant children every time they don't get their way.

it isn't fair gif.gif

that's what Trump is for :cool:

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Triggered to the point of calling the good American people whiney ass b****es, you hate to see it.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

You're a funny guy. Think game threads. I watch games and participate in game threads. Don't know what that other dude's problem is

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

People are genuinely upset about what is viewed by many as a human right, no longer being federally protected in this country.

I get you are in NYK and if say, your daughter ever needed that option she would have it, but a lot of us live in Texas where the lives of our loved ones can be deeply affected by this. People here are going to be upset, it's interesting that the reactions are what seem to mostly bother you here but to each his own.

I don't know who's the whinier ass b**** personally, the people b****ing or the people b****ing about people b****ing. The second might be worth double mcbitch ass points ;)

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I get that

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nice addition

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Do you lol

I always edit and add to my post btw, a bad habit when replying to quick fingers like yours

Os is really just furious about that no hitter we did against the Yankees yesterday, have some compassion fellas

#20 ThatBoyNick, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022