1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time for the federal government to increase your tax rate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Is it time for the federal government to increase your tax rate?

1. Yes

33.8%
  2. No

66.2%
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Considering the fiscal gap, retirement of the baby boomers, decrease in labor force growth rate, rising entitlement costs and any other soon-to-come fiscal constraint: is it time the federsal government increase your tax burden?

It should be a straight forward vote for either yes or no. To keep things honest I will make it a public poll.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I feel like I pay enough already. I would prefer that we act more fiscally conservative and end ridiculous corporate loopholes as well as loopholes exploited by millionaires/billionaires.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm in favor of voluntary tax increases for the willing democrats who won't shut up about the country's need for higher taxes

4. Cohete Rojo

I voted no because I feel as a young, single income earner that my entrepreneurial potential is much higher than those of older age and those who are married. I favor an age based progressive tax system. In this sense, the more you make and the older you get, the more income you pay in taxes.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah, because it makes total sense to pay more taxes when you have to support a family as opposed to blowing all your cash at bars!!!:p

6. Cohete Rojo

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh look, a right wing thread to complain about the rich paying too much in taxes.

how cute.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I don't think the country is worried about the taxes of people who frequent this message board.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I enjoy the way people find ever more creative ways to not pay more taxes.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Increase my tax rate? No

Decrease my tax credits? Yes

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who really wants to pay more taxes?

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Raise the capital gains tax and put a small transaction tax on financial transactions. Even Republican demi-god, Ronald Reagan, thought the capital gains tax should always match the highest tax bracket.

13. ILoveTheRockets

It's not the best time. But we as Americans allowed this debt to happen. The only sensible way to get out of this mess is a number of things combined, and that also involves hiking up the tax rate.

Bill Clinton did this in the 1990's and it did help. Not sure if it would apply in these times, but it would be worth a shot IMO.

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Does the US have negative real interest rates for citizen's bank accounts? If so, then the US government has already increased taxes.

15. Cohete Rojo

How are negative real interest rate savings accounts considered an increase in your tax rate?

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Nobody, but that's why the government needs to raise taxes if it wants to raise revenue. Nobody's going to pony up the money voluntarily. It's perfectly fine to not like paying taxes while realizing they still need to be raised. If we as a country really want a balanced budget like we say we do, if we want to pay down our debt, taxes will have to be raised. Despite Republican rhetoric, with where taxes are now, we can't cut our way to a balanced budget. Short term, middle class taxes probably need to be cut until the economy is clicking again. But long term, taxes for most brackets are going to have to be raised.

Personally, I do think my own taxes should be raised. I only owed a few hundred last year and the year before I paid virtually nothing (like $60). I can afford to pay more. There's no point in doing so voluntarily because a handful of individuals doing that won't solve anything. It needs to be widespread and mandatory for it to have any effect at all.

17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I have no problem with reforming the tax code for fairness, equitability, and additional revenue. If that means paying an additional percent or two in taxes, so be it. I consider it part of my civic duty.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Pretty much this. Close corporate loopholes and even start phasing out some individual tax credits like the MID before you begin increasing the tax rates.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Here's the link

Put your money where your mouth is or else shut it

https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454