1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time for JVG to use Yao a little more on the offensive end?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Feb 23, 2005.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I know that this is a sensitive issue. But.......

Last night, the Supersonics announcers were discussing about Yao's creative passes and said that under JVG, those passes that Yao made when he played under Rudy was gone.

I also checked out other team's message boards. The Bulls fans, Sonics fans, Wizards fans, Celtics fans, to name a few, were arguing why we did not try to get Yao more involved on the offensive end.

The Sonics fans were very surprised at the progress Yao made since we played them last time. Called his performance last night "absolute and total dominance".

Yao has been shooting a league leading 64% from the floor for the whole month and has not shot below 50% for any games we played this month. He has dramatically cut down his TOs recently. I feel that getting him more involved on the offensive end will definitely improve our odds of winning.

Now a couple of posts for discussion:

2. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

The sonics coach adjusted in the second half and that's why Yao didn't get as much touches as he should. The first half Yao was getting his way because there was no help out defenders to prevent him from getting the ball and there were none after he starts his move. For the most part he was straight up single teamed and that's why he totally dominated. The second half McMillan adjusted defensively to prevent Yao from even touching it at all. There were at least two help out defenders cheating on their man to prevent the entry pass when we try to stuff it to Yao. They started to front him and even from the side and since we have r****ded shooters like Strickland, Barrett and Forrest Gump playing with Yao we cannot punish them for cheating on Yao defensively with the outside shot. The second half had no ball movement and not very many picks/cutting/slashing away from the ball and our offense was stagnant because we have a couple of point guards who cannot pass or shoot worth a lick. You either swing pass it around, shoot it or take it to the rack strong, just dont frickn fake pass or stare when having the ball and let the cheating defense recover! (I'm getting flashbacks of the Cat/Steve days!!)

With the cheating defensive schemes against Yao, we NEED SHOOTERS who can swing pass in there with him to open it up for him. We had every opportunity to pull away in the 3rd but we didn't because our offense was so stagnant! JVG didn't counter adjust to the defense! With our offense struggling, why wasn't Barry put in the second half earlier but until really really late in the 3rd quarter with about 1 min to go? Since they were collapsing on Yao, we simply didn't adjust to have the right personnel on there.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

dude - he dropped a 30 spot on the Sonics before that chicken-$hit foul (which followed the other CS foul earlier in the 4th)

how much more invovled can he be

4. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

I see what you're saying-- I miss those sick passes by Yao from his rookie year too....;)

5. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

LOL.......yeah what he said!!! :D

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

He made about 10 creative passes that year. 10 in 82 games. And most were done in blowouts at the end of games. But you miss them and now you want them back? JVG and Yao will see what they can do.

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

double post

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The thing about Yao is that he seems much more efficient and effective when he isn't the focus of the offense. At least for right now. Because of the lingering problems with double teams and fronting defenses, Yao is just better when he's playing within the flow of the offense. He gets more easy buckets, open shots and single coverage when he gets "touches of opportunity" instead of being force-fed.

His teammates do seemingly forget about him after strong starts, but this seems to be more of a characteristic of big men than Yao in general (Duncan and Shaq have had many games where the offense goes away from them for some inexplicable reason. Although it seems to happen to Yao more than those two).

Right now, Yao is playing so well (20+ ppg and 60+ fg% in the month of February) that I wouldn't change anything as long as it's working.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

he dropped 30 man...30! 30! 30!

10. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I seriously believe Yao can be dominate without being force-fed.. All of Yao's shots last night were easy (to his standards).. I think him posting up or starting a play being in a set position is not the best way to use Yao UNTIL he gets stronger and able to solidify his position all the time.

Yao is so big, that he could score every single play and beat wilt chamberlains record if we could just get the correct pass at the right time.. Yao can be unstoppable simply by size alone. He will only get better with the offense we run now. Him being used in the middle of the play is beautiful. I do not like starting the play with Yao unless he's being single covered by earl boykins.

I noticed that our PGs were all doing the same thing Sura was bashed for doing.. They intentionally -ignore- Yao at the beginning of some plays.. for what reason.. i don't really know.. maybe it's something mental for the defense. I think the only way Yao gets touches is if he is in the right place at the right time. Our whole team has to make getting the easiest pass as close to the basket as possible for Yao, if we could do that we could score on every play.

11. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I think Barry and T-Mac are incredibly adept at finding Yao when he's in position or has a mismatch.

Having his points come in the flow of the game also keeps Yao from wearing down by pushing and pulling all game.

The Truth though is that McGrady's been in a shooting slump since before the All Star Break, so that has forced Yao to step up more.

What I don't understand is how Yao constantly gets called for fouls under the basket. If he is just standing there with his hands up and his feet on the ground, and someone just jumps into him, HE GETS CALLED FOR THE FOUL!!

I understand the league wants more scoring and less defense, but how the hell do you expect Yao to play if you're calling that crap. Sometimes his footspeed is slow and he can't get there, but most of the time they just jump into him.

12. fa7999

fa7999 Member

TMac & Barry are great at passing the ball to Yao. Most of their passes result in assist for them

After these two, there is a significant drop in the ability of players passing to Yao. JH, Wesley, Padgett and Sura all tried, but they are just not successful.

Strickland does have had highlight passes to Yao but the guy is washed out, and cannot stay on the court for more than 10 min in one stretch.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

Yao should get involved in defense more.

His (lack of )rebounding skill and desire are hurting the team.
    And I think he can do better.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

If Yao can keep what he has been doing, 20+pt on 60%+ shooting, I don't think we need to get him any "more" involved than it is. We are winning EIGHT in a row before lost to the Sonic, so what ever they have been doing is okay with me.

If I have to make a suggestion to the team, I'd like TMac to take less 3pt shooting, going to the basket more. He has to shoot 45%+ for us to be a force in the playoff! Going to the hole more will improve his shooting %.

15. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Yeah he scored 30, but we should have passed it to him for like 5 or 6 more shots AFTER he fouled out!