1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it safe to say Horry will be a Rocket again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Toast, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Toast

Toast Member

This morning, after a couple of snoozes, my radio-alarm turns on, and even the sports guy for 101KLOL, Jeremy Neuman (or something like that) is saying that Robert Horry's coming back to play for Houston. I just heard him say that, and nothing else on the issue. I haven't opened the Chronicle yet, to see if maybe that's where he's getting this idea (that's probably where he gets ALL his info [​IMG])

Anyway, if even a guy like Jeremy Neuman is saying Bob's coming back, you think it's true? And if so, what are we giving up for him? Walt Williams? Maybe Walt, and the team picks up Rogers' contract & ships him off as well? Maybe just Carlos Rogers? I dunno.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

The Chronicle did not say anything about Horry today.

------------------
    Stevierebel

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope not !!!

This slacker does nothing to improve the club, and could be a cancer with his HORRID work ethic.

Horry is only the letter "S" away from SORRY !

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

or from 'Horsy'.

he's not my dad, he's my pony

5. haven

haven Member

And it's a false cognate of hoary and whorey... which means he's going to sell his services to the highest bidder. Whoops! Wrong PF.

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 22, 2001).]

6. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Don't forget Robber-t.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It wouldn't be easy to get Horry back, since he didn't opt out of his 5 mill+ per year contract...

I don't think the Rockets would offer them anything more than Walt Williams or Kelvin Cato...

While the Lakers could use a 3pt shooter like Walt, and a backup C like Cato, I don't see them parting with Horry... Horry contributes more than Walt and Cato combined...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

KR8, Horry has 5.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.6 apg in 20.1 mpg. Williams matches that production by himself. Sadly, Cato can't. [​IMG]

I don't want Horry back and I can't imagine the Rockets do. If nothing else, his contract is as bad as Williams' except a year longer.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

9. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

He is also an S away from bring Hosrry, Horsry, and a c-h-u-c-k-y-b-r-o-w-n away from being Horchuckybrownry.

Like it or not, Robert Horry is a Rocket. Bring him back. We could use him. On a team like our loaded with scorers (Stevie, Kingston Mobley and MoTaylor) a defender like Horry -- who must be respected, even when he is cold from beyond the arc -- would be a bigger asset than people think. And he is so totally Clutch.

Put on an extra pair of panties, Rocket Power Dancers, Robert Horry may be coming home!

CBFC

------------------
    Join the Chucky Brown Fan Club

10. Toast

Toast Member

Okay, that was funny! [​IMG]

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't know what the fascination is with the guy, other then the fact that he was on the championship teams, but the Lakers can keep Robert Horny. The guy is a slacker, and has a weak work ethic, this after being on FOUR championship teams! You think he would learn to pick it up, because he is capable of so much more, even now. That's why he is so banged up as it is. Nah, The Lakers can keep Horny.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

12. Toast

Toast Member

I'm not saying I want him back, just saying that everyone and their dog thinks he's coming back ... or so it seems to me.

He probably hasn't learned a better work ethic, 'cause he's had so much success by slacking off, why put in an honest day's work?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Stat-wise Horry isn't great... BUT, what doesn't show up in the box score is his great weak-side help defense... The guy is among the best double teaming PF's I have seen... He would be a great addition to a team in need of upgrading team defense, like the Rockets...

Also, Horry is a great entry passer into the low post... If we do get Webber, Horry could be a bigger asset than you would think...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

14. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bring Horry back. He's a Rocket. Any man that hates Danny Ainge is good in my book.

------------------
    Houston Rockets...Unbeatable
    Akeem Olajuwon

15. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I'm glad to see you say that.

When Sprewell choked P.J. Carlesimo, all I could think was "at last, somebody did the right thing."

Who hasn't wanted to choke Carlesimo? Remember what this obnoxious a-hole was like every minute of a game? Would you want a boss who screamed every minute? My respect for Sprewell increased. Same for Horry throwing the towel at crybaby Ainge.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

16. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I like Horry, too. He can be on either end of a great alley oop, he can nail the trey, and he can even make a monster jam now and then. But it is his defense which makes him most valuable. Long and tall, his shot blocking and steals, his defensive skills on mobile 4s, all of which we badly need at 4/3.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

With the lack of illegal defense next year, I think that Horry would be great in a "rover" role on defense... He could be the MLB of the Rockets defense roaming both the perimeter and the interior...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

18. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

Ya, I actually laughed about that. I thought no way GS kept Carlesimo and got rid of Spree. Carlesimo is just a punk. College tactics of yelling do not get you far in the NBA, unless of course, your goal is to get choked.

------------------
    Houston Rockets...Unbeatable
    Akeem Olajuwon

19. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Yeah, that whole deal was a total PC cop out.

Golden State really shot themselves in the foot on that one.

Spree has done great, and they still suck major pond water.

------------------

20. Silk

Silk Member

>"Horry is only the letter "S" away from
    >SORRY !"

...Calvin Murphy would like me to add that he is also only the letter N away from Horny.

------------------
    President of MY fan club.