1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible for the Rockets to do a sign and trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Sep 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Basically, what it comes down to is the Rockets just don't have as deep of pockets as the Mavs have. If they did, their wouldn't be a question as to getting Rashard. When some of us say the Rockets don't need Lewis, that's all well and good; meanwhile, a team who won twice as many games as us last season and already has more all-stars than we do is getting ready to sign him. I think it's safe to say we need him a little more than the Mavs, but that doesn't seem to be stopping Cuban from adding depth to his team.

I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that the Rockets don't have as much money to spend as Dallas. But no matter, I'm still happy with the team we've put together. It's just kind of scary that teams who are already better than us are still finding a way to add talent. In any case, hopefully Lewis will make a decision by the end of this week. Please!

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

by including multiple players the combined salaries can get large enough to cover the amount in Base Year. For example, include Cato and taylor and Lewis and Booth and it would work, or start getting close enough.

This is also Bonzi's SnT problems in Portland.

It's doable, but the #s involve get big...

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

True. However, given the $2.9 million spread between Rashard's $7.3 2002 salary and his $4.4 million base year figure, we would have to send nearly $20 million in 2002 salaries to Seattle, and take back Rashard plus $9.7 million in 2002 salaries, to cover the 15% maximum allowable difference.

The less Rashard agrees to take to sign with the Rockets, the smaller the spread and the smaller the salaries that have to be included in the deal. But he is apparently already been offered 7 years $64 million by Seattle, so it is doubtful he would take much less than the $7.3 million starting salary figure quoted (which factors max raises of 12.5% per year from the base year figure).

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

My post wasn't meant as a shot at you, your thread just asked about the possibility of a sign-and-trade, no harm. It's just the constant Rashard rumors that is getting annoying. This reminds me of Mo Taylor and the rumors surrounding him, until suddenly just up and signed with the Rocks.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Can we resign KT at a level that will get close to what Lewis would need to make? Do we add a TMo to make it work?

Other than that, I can't see us wanting to part with anyone else and Seattle isn't going to be interested in MT or Rice after their injuries.

I still think it boils down to Lewis in Dallas. He wants to be on a true title contender - not Seattle, who probably will move Payton.

So the Mavs have the better chance at this time over the Rockets. Their owner has deeper pockets and is willing to go over the luxury tax to pay players down the road. If he wants to come to Houston he still can after his Dallas contract, when Houston should be right up there competing in the playoffs with Dallas. Logic points to Dallas, timing says there is some sort of sign and trade in the works - even with Dallas.

Watch Payton and Lewis end up there, that would be sick. :eek:

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I did not take your post as a shot. If it sounded like I was frustrated it is because I am frustrated at myself for making this into a Rashard thread by placing his name in the title. I realized about a half of a second after I pushed the enter key what this would turn into but it was too late. :(

Anyway after reading Larry Coon's faq several times I think I finally got it.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ok. :)