1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible for the Rockets to acquire another pick in top 13 . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by plutoblue11, May 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

without giving up the 14th pick?

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Uhmmm sure Its possible, T-Wolves got the 5th pick from Washington last year for basically Miller & Foye... So I'm guessing a similar move would have to be made ;)

But why would you want two lottery picks?

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Yes I'm sure someone would give a top 13 pick for Yao Ming........your point is?

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Most definitely they could -- they have plenty of assets that would be attractive to rebuilding teams. The question is why would they? Two rookies on an already young team that is getting their star player back for a likely small window to contend/win it all probably isn't the best course.

But, it's just a matter of how much you like a player available to you in that 7-13 range or so and if you can find a team that wants a player like Hill or Budinger more, or wants out of this draft entirely, in which case, our 2011 pick (which comes with the <a href="http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1552/terms_of_rockets-knicks_draft_picks_swap/">right to flip with the Knicks pick</a>) or the Knicks' 2012 pick would be attractive.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clutch,

Doesn't that depend entirely upon what they expect from Yao?

They might be saying one thing publicly and thinking they need to build a team that may need to move on without him.

DD

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Yea, they have the assets to move up for sure, but you would have to think that the 14th pick would be included in that package.

7. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Personally I think the Rockets are more likely to trade draft picks for established players, than they are to trade players for more draft picks.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I'd agree on this, I would much rather move up in the draft with the 14th pick and assets rather then getting another mid to semi-high 1st. Morey has already said whoever we pick outside of the top guys will not play much this season anyway.

#8 rockets934life, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  9. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

i think we will trade out 14th pick, and buy at least 2 second round pick.....

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I brought this up for two reasons, and you pointed to one of them. Will Yao be ready to go is the biggest one? If he is ready, we still need another center or defensive big body, even in the event of an acquisition of say a Bosh or Amar'e.

B.Miller does become a Free Agent, this summer, but he'll be 35 next season, while Haywood is also good possibility. Though, both players might cost some dough, considering their current salaries and the small market for centers. Maybe more than we (Les Alexander/ Morey) are willing to spend.

Which brings us to next summer, as six players are set to be become Free Agents? Aaron Brooks (restricted), Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries, Luis Scola, and Kyle Lowry.

It's not unreasonable to believe that we are going to lose some of those players. As there are some quality players in this draft, who have alot of potential and a great chance of starting on inferior teams.

I'm mostly pointing to the prospect in which Morey may see a couple of players in this draft that might could help this team immediately or down the road (once certain players are gone), as the asking price for say the 8th - 11th pick may not be requiring (from a perspective team) very much. It's possible for us to get a big man or center in this draft who can be a better player than Jeffries, while also being just as good, if not better on defense.

This would essentially us give us two of the following players: Greg Monroe, Demarcus Cousins (if he isn't drafted in top 6), Cole Aldrich, Hassan Whiteside, Xavier Henry, James Anderson, Gordon Heyward, Larry Sanders, Avery Bradley, and Epke Udoh.

Though given Morey's history, he may a trade player to get multiple picks in the later round. Which also be good (likely) deal as well.

We are probably going to stay put at #14, or move up, though I am not entirely sure, if we are going to move up without given up the 14th pick.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Clutch, for a while now i have been saying that this is a good draft for top tier role players. With that in mind, do you think that it would be feasible to try and get Bosh and the 13th pick from Toronto for Ariza, Jeffries, Brooks, Hill and NY's 2011 pick? That way it would not be so bad having Hedo thrown in. What do you think?

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's certainly possible, especially since the early scare was possible retirement and we've seen how serious this injury was based on how long it has taken... but I think they plan on having him back. I don't think they're going to sacrifice the future completely or anything, but I don't think they're going to use their trade assets for more rookies right now.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Truthfully, we should not expect the rooks to contribute right away. This pick would be mostly for future purposes and it is this draft that they must get a big in. If it were possible to get another pick above 14 without having to give our pick, that would be very helpful. BTW, anything else about Detroit selling the #7 pick?

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a pretty big haul there for Bosh (two starters, a lottery pick big and a potential lottery pick)... I guess it's possible, but the 13th pick would be made by Toronto before anyone is legally able to negotiate with Bosh, so you'd have to hope the Raps/Rockets want the same player there or there was some wink-wink deals between three parties (TOR, HOU and Bosh), which would be unlikely.

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

Clutch, my girlfriend thinks I'm not ready to commit...and really...she's right. Does that make me the bad guy in the relationship or do you think she could be too anxious to tie the knot while she's still young?

1 person likes this.
  16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Do you want the Rockets to throw in the Toyota Center while you're at it?

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Seek buyout and stockpile young, cheap assets.

3 people like this.
  18. jedicro

jedicro Member

Sounds like a plan! I'll go to the local high school and review the upcoming draft.

19. MrJason

MrJason Member

Not a good idea. Isn't that was Lawrence Taylor tried to do? :eek:

20. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

awww this thread made me laugh