1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is It My Imagination, Or.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Apr 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You can thank Garth and Shania for leading country music down this path. This glitter Nashville type of music has no generative potential whatsoever for future growth. It will just have to die its slow ugly relegation into the depths of elevator music, which is already happening but in the middle of a road bump thanks to the zombies that populate our suburbs and have an insatiable appetite for big trucks.

Real country music, the one made by poor rural people with limited prospects and broken hearts, will take some time to overcome this blight upon itself, but sure enough it will recover. Until then you may have to tolerate the hipster / bearded tendencies of some of the musicians and fanbases who still hearken back to people like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, or Townes van Zandt.

People always seem to place a hard divider between country and folk and Americana (which does contain many bands I don't enjoy), but to me if I was a rural person then I would be gravitating back towards folk until country proved to me it could right its own ship. Singers like Bonnie Prince Billy or Patty Griffin or Tift Merritt but maybe not Justin Vernon/Bon Iver or anyone who falls under his umbrella. A RESOUNDING Yes to Gillian Welch and David Rawlings who are essentially musical priests, members of the clan of bards who don't have children and devote their lives instead to the recording of oral tradition, those timeless songs composed by men long dead.

And then if you're like me (and I guarantee you aren't) then you're also a bluegrass fan and a fan in general of the female voice. If Kacey Musgraves is what you thought was your thing, then think again. My endorsement in this category goes to the Railsplitters (them's great people), and then to more popular acts like Crooked Still, Joy Kills Sorrow, Sarah Jarosz, and Anais Mitchell. And as you can imagine popular in bluegrass still ain't that popular.

1 person likes this.
  2. NateNate

NateNate Member

Jamey Johnson is the guy..... Real country music in today's time

3. Buck Turgidson

No doubt it's unlistenable, and I have to spend too much time around other people playing ****ty music. I will say that I don't think that a whole lot of yall know what "country music" is outside of the stereotypical NashVegas crap.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

verse, chorus, verse, chorus, short guitar solo, chorus(soft w/no drums), chorus, ending

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you like country and have SiriusXM, but can't stand the NashVegas crap, check out Outlaw Country on channel 60. Some very good stuff is played there.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Is it my imagination, or have all music award shows in the last 20 years sucked.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Let's turn this into a "do you remember thread" :p

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Top ten country album of all time.

9. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Along those lines, another favorite of mine:

[​IMG]

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Another must listen:

[​IMG]

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Yep, music evolves too...generally to its fans desires.

So what you guys are really hating is the fans taste.

And I do enjoy the older country style myself.

12. BleedsRocketRed

In my opinion, the last of "good country" died sometime around the mid 90's. Early 90's to late 80's still had some gems out there.

One of my favorite station is in Houston is Country Legends 97.1. Sure they play a lot of the songs over and over again, but I can never get tired of the classics.

13. Buck Turgidson

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Pop Country genre started when Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban and Brad Paisley started blowing up. Now you've got guys like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, and Cole Swindell who are basically of the same ilk.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Can someone post a pic for me of Gene Clark's No Other. Not sure it fits, but I just heard this for the first time recently and fell in love.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

There's like over 15-20 cds in there. thing weighs a ton when put all together. Seems like this guy put out a new album every damn month

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I apologize in advance for telling you this, but the only country singer I've listened to more than once are Faith Hill and...Shania Twain (don't hate me)

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

CDs weigh like 1/4 of a pound. It would take 8,000 cds to weigh a ton.

20. body slam

body slam Member

Saw Jamie Johnson open for Kid Rock last year and he was awesome. He did a great job singing some Patsy Cline. Wish I could have seen him again last week at the House of Blues.

The main stream country singers will put out a good song every now and then. Out of the main stream acts I still enjoy Blake and Miranda. When I want a more country sound I like listening to Aaron Watson and Cody Johnson.