1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is It My Imagination, Or.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Apr 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

....is there a country music award show on about once a month?

Oh, and just for discussion's sake....today's country music BLOWS CHIMPS. It's basically formulated pop music and every song on the radio for the last 10 years sounds like it was written by the same person.

1 person likes this.
  2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

"commercial---evil"

;):p:grin:

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Things just haven't been the same since Achy Breaky Heart. The last great country song.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

coincides with the fact that most county music singers release a new album every month

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think most country music nowadays fits into two categories. Safe, adult contemporary or campy, faux-edgy. In either case it doesn't sound authentic or genuine.

I'm sure there's a lot of good country music being made that I never hear about. Every once in a while a good country album will get enough recognition from the mainstream that I'll hear about it and give it a listen and end up liking. A few examples are Jamey Johnson, Jason Isbell, Kacey Musgraves. Even though the last one probably falls under the faux-edgy a little. Then again, most of the albums I end up liking are more alt-country than traditional country.

Not sure if there is a country pitchfork for discovering less-formulaic country music? :eek:

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

ALL country music sucks. Except if it's the Eagles.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

BAD Thread Title, ima. :p

:grin: Pablo Francisco: Country Music (starts @ :39) (some NSFW language)
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/kHA6Qc2q7MQ?hl=en_US&start=39"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/kHA6Qc2q7MQ?hl=en_US&start=39" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://www.pandora.com/pablo-francisco/knee-to-groin/country-music-mexican-cowboy-tough-cowboy play a sample from "Knee To The Groin"...

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I like Twangville, but it's not that Pitchforky.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Want Good Country? Try these

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ky2874tImDs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qyCvb6njdmI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OQw3NUkHK_c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Ewww "country" music blows now. Everyone should listen to Hank III's Straight to Hell album as penance.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

You can try http://radiofreetexas.com/ it's not perfect but a lot less pop-country.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's exactly what it's missing.

And ironically, that's what I find most appealing about real country music - it's authentic and genuine. Today's popular country music is neither.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So, I remember that that pop/rock chick won the Voice two or three ago on Blake Shelton's team. I guess they're trying to turn her into a country star. I heard her single and it sounded like a pop/rock song that they just threw some banjo on so that they could call it country.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

incredible... how do they do it...? It's not as if there were some... traditional formula to it....

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

boo this man... or drop an LA hotel on his head...

Either is fine...

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There are some exceptions:

Sturgill Simpson has an old school sound.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tNV16tz1NK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kacey Musgraves is hot and from Texas. Her sound leans towards pop, but her lyrics are realistic looks at small town life.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JEsEUpk5rU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, here's a brilliant mashup of all the worst stuff about country music today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WySgNm8qH-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Every song sounds exactly the same to me. My friend's got a complete Garth Brooks cd collection and I swear that thing would kill a high school boy if it fell on him

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think it's fine; the '70s and early '80s will never come back; so it will either seem too traditional or too much like soft rock. I think the post-Travis/Brooks era ushered in a lot of younger musicians who brought more diverse influences, which overall allows for more variety. Being black and in the suburbs in the '80s and very early '90s I could never imagine rap or country attracting anyone outside their audiences, especially as narrowly as they were promoted. Depending upon what room you were in it was almost like having weird religious beliefs or something.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Am I the only one that has no clue wtf hotballa is trying to say here :confused:

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think Hotballa is from NYC which has lots of tall buildings. So imagine the body switching scene in All of Me.