1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

I use this formula to tip no matter where i go:

Tip = 10 * A * B

A = number of people in my party
    B = number of hours seated rounded to the next 1/4 hour

So if my wife and I are seated in any restaurant for 35 minutes, I will tip 10 * 2 * .75 = $15

Some places love me, some places hate me.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I can afford a tip on any priced meal I choose. The question is, why is the tip determined on the price of the food? It is a weird system.

If I get queso at a mexican place and that's it, and the staff keeps checking on me, did they not work as hard as the person bringing me a steak?

Why the hate for $30 steaks? Can people not eat at Salt grass without being called poor SOBs?

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't get your point. If I got ****ty ass service at that applebees then yeah, that waiter/waitress is getting a **** tip. It's not hard to comprehend that how much a person tips doesn't depend on their income or where they're dining at.

4. trustme

trustme Member

Good job not understanding the point.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Gotta love those crazy tippers who feel the need to call others poor/cheap when they don't share their ridiculous tipping philosophy.

"Don't order a $30 steak if you can't appropriately tip on it!! Order the $20 pasta and tip on that you cheap b*stard!!"

As if there is a difference in the waiter's job on either dish. Some people..

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe we should conform and allow soccer to be the #1 sport too.

Cancel football and baseball, but keep basketball since it's more global.

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Off topic but why do I constantly get asked if I want my reciept? Nobody asked me that 5 years ago.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So if you and your wife go to say a Noodles and Company, order your $15 combined penne at the counter and go grab a table.

The server then brings your food 5 minutes later. Y'all sit for 50 minutes. You end up tipping $20?

Nice.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He isn't doing it as some sort of favor to you, a delivery person's job is to deliver stuff. Do you tip UPS/FedEx guy every time you get a package? What about the mailman? What about other jobs that aren't delivering stuff to you but you can also write the job description in all caps? A lawyer is literally APPEARING IN COURT ON YOUR BEHALF, ADVOCATING FOR YOU WITH THEIR ADVANTAGE IN EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE. Should you tip lawyers 20%, or are they just doing their job?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Contrary.

I understand your point, you point is stupid.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Their is a difference in how the tips are allocated, who receives a part of them and the tip pool percentage. The closer to fine dining you go, the lower percentage of tip the main waiter gets, the more people dependent on it, and the level of service and knowledge the server has increases.

People that order $300-$400 worth of food and tip the same as Olive Garden are ignorant. Nice things cost more money, it is how it is. Also, working for tips motivates employees to do an even better job.

Ultimately all this crap about "tipping" the same is a way of tipping like **** and not feeling bad about it.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Do lawyers make $2.14 an hour?

As a lawyer, I can say.... Lawyers don't need any tips. Waiters don't get six figure bonuses quarterly or get off Friday and Saturday nights.

It is a system that has done well in the United States. It will probably fade away because people don't appreciate it.... and service will suffer as a consequence.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Follow the thread better and your questions would already be answered. Neither a UPS driver nor mailman is using their own vehicles to serve you. They need not worry about gas, maintenance, or insurance to perform their job.

A lawyer is already getting paid nicely. Now, if you want the company to pay the drivers "nicely", be prepared for $5+ service fees attached to your order. Pizza companies keep majority (65%+) of current delivery fees, if a fee even exists.

To all you cheapskates, be happy there's enough people who aren't like your inconsiderate selves... otherwise delivery wouldn't exist because drivers would just quit.

#153 Houstunna, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

While I am not fond of the tipping etiquette in America, a server does earn 2.xx an hour. If you idle at his table, he's losing money on another customer that could be sitting there. If its obvious the server is trying to get me off the table too quickly (valentines/mothers/fathers day are great examples) then I feel the tip should go down.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

nevermind.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Usually larger parties (at whatever restaurant) get an automatic 15% gratuity added to their bill, so there is a precedence of diminishing rates for higher totals.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

"done well", define "done well"

How are servers getting paid $2.14 a system that is "well" in anyway

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Most places I have seen this add 18%

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It *was* done well. Tipping used to be 10% on the low end and 15% on the high end. Now you're considered a cheap b*stard if you dont tip at least 20%. You can thank the likes of Starbucks baristas for panhandling tips just to pass you a cup of coffee.

You speak as if service is great now. I hate to burst your bubble, but the typical restaurant's service is mediocre at best.

If you expect a 20% tip, then I expect this:
    I am a bit picky and I have food allergies.
    -Acknowledge my existence in a timely manner
    -Have my drink in a timely manner
    -Skip the 5 minute presentation on 'tonights special' unless I asked for it.
    -When I mention a food allergy, "I dont know" is not an acceptable answer if said allergy is in the dish.
    -Enter my order right
    -If the kitchen preps my meal incorrectly, dont wait for me to tell you. You placed the order. You should know. Fix it.
    -I should never have to ask for a refill. Never!

Now honestly, none of that really bothers me except the refill...and even then I wouldn't care if I could get up and get it myself. There is a difference between a server and an errand boy. If Im busy telling you what to do, then you're nothing more than an errand boy.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Servers/managers usually end up giving me free s*** just for being social :cool:

Yes, diminishing return, and great for cheap bastards.