1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Only tip people worth tipping (valet,waitresses etc.)

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i9bBXLqmCRs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. likestohypeguy

You just f'd up.

SJW's in three, two, one... ATTACK!

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

I tip:
    20% at restaurants with full service.
    10% at buffets where they get drinks or something for you / take your plates away
    $1 or something at small places like coffee shops or gelato places (i don't do this often).

$1-2 dollars for shuttle bus drivers at airports or hotels
    15% taxi

20% at spa/massage places

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's probably because of the title wording, but I expected a nonreasonable hotballa topic.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I honestly don't understand tipping barbers a lot of money

I mean the idea behind tipping in restaurants is that you are paying for the food and tipping for the service right?

If i'm paying you 20 bucks for a haircut, what am I paying you 10 dollar tip for.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Last week I ordered a pizza for delivery from this place called flakeys pizza which cost $12. The delivery guy shows up, I give him a $20 bill and just takes it without giving me my change.

Don't get me wrong, I was going to let him keep the change as a tip but at least give me the courtesy of offering my change. Don't just assume I'm giving you a 40% tip.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There's your first problem. Don't tip 50%.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

You guys complaining about the tip option on your credit card receipts, you do realize this is not controlled by the restaurant at all right? Almost all credit card terminals print their receipts out like that. Noones asking you for a tip. But if looking at the word "tip" gets you all jot and bothered, you may want to consider therapy

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Have you ever seen a barbers Facebook or instagram? They b**** about how cheap some customers can be and brag on their skills and somehow become some poetic motivational person that knows their worth.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya it really is getting out of control.

I tip 20% for a haircut but I wonder the same thing. What does the cost of the haircut cover?

We don't tip for getting an oil change..? Other than waiters I am not sure why we tip other people who already charge us for their service..

12. sw847

sw847 Member

Personally i don't get the whole tipping culture. growing up in NZ, the only time I would tip is for services outside of 'normal' job descriptions for the person providing the service.

I have waited in restaurants and bars before, delivered pizza and worked in other fast food joints to put myself through university.

I have been to US a lot of times, and personally I hate the tipping culture. I prefer if you just added it into the products/services. It just saves so much trouble for the purchaser.

I hear a lot of people complaining about how waiters don't get paid enough.....well no ****...you are working as an unskilled worker...that is your worth. If you feel you are worth more, go f**ken get a better job.

13. Buck Turgidson

My dad did the same, guess i just grew up around courteous, generous people. He'd be BBQing in the backyard and start handing out ribs and sandwiches to any yard crew or whoever that was around.

As far as tipping goes: tip 15% at least on sit-down meals, tip more if you want, tip less if you want, tip on every bar drink if you want, just be nice and act like a proper human being.

14. jsingles

jsingles Member

It took way too long for someone to bring this very simple sound reasoning to the thread.

15. trustme

trustme Member

Tipping is ridiculous these days. Why don't we tip the cash register at Walmart? If you're gonna tip your barber why won't you tip your lawn mower?

16. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Because the person working the register makes three or four times per hour what your server does, that's why.

I don't get what's so hard about this.

The person that just had to pass on serving drinks and food to his/her patrons (read: "making money") to go back to the kitchen to check on the order you called in, to box it, get all your sides, grab the bag, work the register, TAKE CARE OF YOU at $2.40 an hour on your to-go order deserves to be paid for his or her services.

And people that are still quoting Mr. Pink on message boards in 2016 should denied internet access.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah they're so annoying with the way they need money to live.

18. PeppermintCandy

Except that the customers are not the ones who decided to pay this person $2.40 an hour, no?

I say just give them a decent wage and add the sum to the fixed total price of the product/service. Then, the customer can decide whether the product and all services involved is worth the amount that's being asked for.

Anyway, I never quite understood the tipping culture. I don't get why the customer should be asked to take part in negotiating the value of one specific component of the service.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Never know what to tip on take-out.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So what? You let a barber's b****y rant on Facebook determine your tipping? How many barbers do you follow on Facebook and Instagram?