1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me, or is the report button just a placebo?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by kjhwang, Sep 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

So is it okay for members to post racist, hateful things like HeyPartner just did to me and get away with it? It seems like reporting this did absolutely nothing. And it would do HeyPartner no good to respond to me, as I've already blocked him.

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Link?

3. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I guess the mods look at it and take action if warranted using their best judgement. Not everything you consider racist may be seen as racist by others. Just speaking in general not in relation to any particular incident.

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Maybe if you post more substantial things like HeyP does instead of being one more forum police officer crying racism people would give a care.

It wasn't HeyP's best thread but you took that bait a little too zealously.

Pictures of hawt girls are a step in the right direction.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You're being overly sensitive. It was unnecessary to post, but I wouldn't say him asking if you were oriental is "hateful"

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's certainly ignorant. The term oriental is not a term that refers to a people group except when being used as a way to mock them.

Oriental is a rug not a person.

I don't know if Asians consider it outright offensive or not since I don't know many, but it is certainly ignorant.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

It can definitely be offensive, but less so on an online messaging board. HeyP was rude, but that's about it.

9. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Do you know why he was asking me if I was "oriental?" The question definitely had racist implications behind it. Go to page 2.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It was a play on the "Hispanic?" question/joke that has been done on this board many times. Some people are weird. Deal with it, use the ignore button if you feel you need to, relax.

11. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

That's not funny at all. If another user used poor grammar and spelling, and another asked if he was black, would that be funny? I already ignored him, like I said, and I reported him, but it just seems that the mods get to pick and choose which racist incident is offensive or not. And I'm dealing with it by complaining. This crap is inexcusable and doesn't belong anywhere racism isn't welcome.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, aks Rocket River about this ;).

I don't condone racism. But there is no point in getting so worked up about something.

13. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

I don't get your wink face and what it means.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just a piece of education here for the use of "oriental":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient#American_English

For those of us who's been here for a long time, we know heypartner does that kind of posting every now and then. I am no tinman. But for those who are relatively new, my advice is that you try to get to know the personalities before you launch any tirade. It's what you do when you enter any community, no?

There are some xenophobic posters here. heypartner is not one of them. I am not sure whether he is indeed ignorant about the term "oriental" or if he was intentionally trolling kjhwang. (If I had to bet, I'd bet the latter.)

Anyhow, it is quite clear that ignorance about racism toward Asians is rampant on this board, just like it is in America in general.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

just realized he called you a san francisco **** sucker with porcelain skin.

wth heyp :confused:

16. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Oriental is not offensive. However, in the context that it was used, it became offensive. For that matter, even if the term used was Asian or any specific nationality, it is still offensive.

Because he equate that race group in to a certain profile.

17. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Exactly. Homophobic and racist, all in one sentence. And please know I know what oriental means and the history behind the term, all of you trying to inform me.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Actually, a mod did neg me, within a few hours.

As I said in the post, Deadwood. It's a famous quote, by one of my favorite TV characters of the year.

Wu

[​IMG]

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

sort of in heyp's defense, you do have meowith in your sig...ugh I just admitted that I know what that is. :(

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was wondering what that thing was. It reminded me of those things Asian girls (and guys :eek: ) have hanging on a string from their mobile phones.