1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it impossible to rip Redbox DVDs??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Aug 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LMAO did somebody really say torrents weren't illegal? Hmm I'm sure downloading movies and music without paying for them pretty much counts as illegal. You do know that people have been busted from downloading torrents right? Just because you can hide your IP doesn't make you full proof. If someone really wanted to get your real IP, they could.

2. Landlord Landry

torrent files ARENT ILLEGAL! dude, torrent files are a PROTOCOL! just like HTTP! it's a process for moving files. half of the files downloaded on the internet are torrent files.

people have been busted for downloading torrents? that sucks for those 25-30 people out of ..........IDK 150 billion people who download torrent files every year.

RIAA doesn't have enough man power or funds to bust everyone. they are more interested in the people who are running the sites and if they did go after any members, they would go after the people leaking material before it's release date.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Torrents are not illegal. However, linking to DMCA-covered material is illegal. See Universal v. Reimerdes.

Downloading is not illegal. Copyright infringement, however, is.

4. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Not anymore, Shell found out about my gas pump hack.

:confused:

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you agree that if there is a torrent file of (for example) Batman - The Dark Knight, and you download it that you are breaking the law by violating the copyright?

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

you mean is it possible to "backup" redbox dvd's?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes, it is possible to backup redbox or any other DVD; you will just need the right software to do it. It is a different issue altogether if you do something else with that "backup" as these dudes discussing it are saying. :eek: Nero already answered it.

8. Landlord Landry

by defintion, probably. however my point is, a torrent file is nothing more than a bunch of hashes, i.e.-

ll llll l lll lll l lllll ll l ll lll l l lllllllll l l lll lll l ll ll lllllll.<<<that same sequence of hashes can be used to define an infinite number of files, like the dark knight or say, photoshop cs3, or tone loc's first album. it's literally impossible to copyright that sequence.

of the 180,000 Oink.cd members, ZERO were charged or prosecuted after the siezure of the websites servers and arrest of the owner, in fact, I'm not sure he was even charged with anything, they just shutdown the site. so my point is, I doubt anyone is gonna kick my door in because I downloaded.....errrrr, backed up a few hundred songs, a handful of
    movies, and a couple of software programs.

9. bobrek

I think for the most part you are talking semantics. In the general scheme of things, the torrents that are downloaded are illegal copies of copyrighted materials.

And regardless of whether or not someone will arrest and/or charge a downloader, they are still breaking the law when they download copyrighted material.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That has to be legal right?

11. droxford

droxford Member

There's something wrong with your setup. I recommend using the latest versions of Slysoft's AnyDVD and Slysoft's CloneDVD2. I know for a fact that Redbox DVD's can all be copied on standard home computer hardware with those pieces of software.

American DMCA laws prohibit any anauthorized decryption of a streaming source. That's why all the really good piracy and hacking is performed outside of the USA.

To use your analogy, it's free to look at the moon, and it's free to look at the encrypted signal. It's just illegal to decrypt the signal without authorization.
    American DMCA laws in action. I hate 'em.

Dude - I'm sorry, but you are on crack. The content of the file is copyrighted, regardless of how it is being transmitted, and they can (and do) bust people for it all the time.

The torrent format isn't illegal as long as un-copyrighted (public domain) content is what's being transmitted. So, again... the way in which it's transferred isn't what's illegal. It's the content. If the content is public domain, it can be freely transferred in any method. If the content is copyrighted, it cannot be legally transferred in any method (torrent, ftp, napster-like file sharing, http download, anything) without authorization.

And....if you dowload torrents you MUST use PeerGuardian.

12. Landlord Landry

I'd like to see some numbers on that. US numbers. cause I aint buyin it.

and I'm not talkin about the sleeze bags at the flea market selling ripped off copies. I'm talkin about people like you and me, getting busted at home for downloading torrent files.

how do you think torrent sites like TPB, isohunt and mininova survive? all those downloads from the county jail library? ;)

i'm glad you found peergaurdian, exactly what I was talkin about in my earlier post 'any monkey spending 5 minutes on google!'

13. lpbman

lpbman Member

lol

Well I guess the why part of what I was asking was rhetorical... it's illegal because there is a law. I just don't see any justification for it in a free country.

It's like your neighbor pointing speakers out of his window and it being illegal to figure out what the lyrics are. Absurd!

Also, I'm pretty sure that Uverse is throttling my bittorent downloads which pisses me off. I'm not saying I've never downloaded anything I didn't have a legal right to under DMCA (Like a cd I've purchased 5 times and it's been stolen by room mates and friends an equivalent number of times. But what I'm after is legit and I still get throttled.

14. droxford

droxford Member

sites like isohunt survive because they don't actually facilitate the torrent transfer - they're just a search engine pointing to torrents that are hosted on other sites.

Other sites, like the Pirate Bay are able to operate because they aren't based in America and are thus not as susceptible to American copyright laws.

You want numbers? Google it.

15. TheMountainTop

Landlord Landry Dawg you are on crack.

That **** is illegal. just admit it. Just because half the world is downloading it doesnt make it legal.

Yeah a lot of people get away with it but I bet a lot get caught also.

16. TheMountainTop

Downloading copyrighted material such as music and movies is illegal.

17. droxford

droxford Member

... without authorization (for example: if you logon to itunes and pay for a sung, you are then authorized to legally download the song once).

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( this was not even the question of the OP at all. :( Why it took such an odd turn, I haven't a clue.

Can we get back to LEGALLY backing up our own DVD's, fellas? :D

19. droxford

droxford Member

My first post answered his question.

20. bobrek

Actually, I thought it was ruled a copyright violation to backup even the movie DVD's you own. The company that created DVDxCopy went out of business after that decision came down.