1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it fair to judge Morey on wether he hits the "Home Run" or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jae713, Jun 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

This pretty much sums it up.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think he has done a pretty good job based on what we had and what we needed to do. You can't blame him for injuries and things like that. With what we had he has put out some winners but they just never could stay healthy.

He has shown he will fight and try to go after any player he possibly can that will advance the team.

As far as the draft goes he has made us all go WTF, why him. But in the end they have all turned out to be well worth it and we have gotten value for all of them.

3. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

To be honest, DM has done a decent job as the Rockets GM. His biggest problem is that he cannot close any big deals. He's been making safe deals throughout his tenure as the Rockets GM.

But right now, DM should feel a huge burden because this team has been on neutral for the past 3 years. I just never understand why didn't the Rockets tried to rebuild this team when they lost Ron Artest and Yao was still out with the injury. Even after when he went down with that season ending injury when he played like 10 games that one year. The Rockets should know that once Yao went down after that last injury, they should know its time to rebuild again but instead they try to make the playoffs with Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin.

I really thought that the Rockets would try to rebuild this season since it was a shorten season but they tried to make the playoffs again. My point is, even if they make the playoffs, its no way they can make it past the first round. I hope they start thinking about not only just making it to the playoffs but instead rebuilding the team that can make the playoffs and compete in the West. I really hope Morey realized that and in the process of rebuilding this team right now because if he tries to acquire more older veterans so this team can try to make the playoffs again, it will set this team back way worst.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No because OKC actually had a plan 4 years ago to rebuild through the draft instead of trying to win and rebuild at the same time. They didn't put that team together overnight like the Rockets try to do every season. :rolleyes:

Yes...which is why I said "like everyone in the organization"...

FWIW, I don't think Morey has done a bad job considering the limitations that have been placed on him. I don't blame him for our current situation. I blame Les for not having the vision to think ahead for more than 1 season at a time.

Rebuilding (not tanking....) should have started 3 years ago.

5. southtexan

southtexan Member

This is posted on the NBA.com:

Houston Rockets

Rockets have a history of picking up talent no matter their draft position.

6. AverageAgain

AverageAgain Member

He could.be Jesus, bu you have to have someone willing to trade with you, and Free agents willing to sign here...its not all on one guy. Htown is not sexy nor will it ever be. It has dirty beaches, too spread out of a city, and is a middle sized media market

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Ugh. Reality check. I'll admit I'm guilty of buying into the hype each year. I thought Shandon Anderson was going to be a savior......

But I think he's well ahead in the count. Lets see where this leads....

8. mic

mic Contributing Member

Morey has done a decent job, but I hate how everyone keeps acting like he's some evil genius/wizard/silent assassin. I'll give credit where credit is due, but until he pulls off a big move, he doesn't deserve to be called any of those things.

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

I actually like what Morey is doing. I sometimes thinks he treats his job with the Rockets the same way my little punk nephew plays franchise mode on NBA video games, but we would be complaining a whole lot more around here if he were doing nothing at all. I think Morey is in the "Get Superstar or Die Tryin'" mode and once he gets his superstar then he'll slow down a bit.

To think you can win in Today's NBA without a superstar is just ignorance. Anybody can see how important it is to have one. Morey knows that and he's willing to give up everything including his job to land one. I like that approach. He could easily be content and just sit around and collect a fat paycheck and draft decent guys and sign decent free agents but that isn't good enough for him. He will get that superstar or die tryin'

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While I too have been critical of what they call rebuild and how they were going about it, what he's done so far has pleased me. We aren't done yet but he's doing a good job of getting better pieces or bundling up.

I can see a Option D of continuing to bundle picks up until you get 1 top 5 or 2 top 10 picks using the players and picks we have and beginning the rebuild from there. I wouldn't mind that way. Pure and simple.

Option C would meh to me because we've come this far, I'd like to see what we can continue to accomplish.

Option B would be awesome. I would love it, eat crow, buy jerseys, hats, shorts, etc, etc.

This risk of B is very high compared to option A which is what I would HATE to see. That would set us back on rebuilding at least 2 years and turn us into a circus this year and total clowns next year. But the light of that 2 year tunnel would be total rebuild. I just would hate to go through that, stall our process and get punked in the process.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed.

I don't know why people here think that if you don't worship the ground he walks on that automatically makes you a hater who wants him fired yesterday. His supporters are so defensive...

This is the one I'd prefer, actually. Assuming we can't get Howard, of course.

12. smr6

smr6 Member

In my mind, if Morey gets fired, then whoever replaces him will be nowhere near as good. The fact of the matter is that no matter who is the GM Les will still be the owner. Les' refusal to lose will still be in place, and the new GM would still be under the same restrictions as far as tanking and rebuilding goes that Morey is currently under.

13. disguyman

disguyman Member

In Morey we Trust!

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Me too.

15. Apps

Apps Member

Amen. I think that there will always be people who dislike somebody and others that will idolize him, but one thing you can say about Morey... the results, good or bad, are not from a lack of effort.

I also believe that we are taking Morey for granted. He might make bad moves here and there, but he also makes some pretty great moves as well, and despite not landing a superstar I have no doubt in my mind that anyone else at the helm would've fared much, much worse given the climate that the Rockets are trying to operate in.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Depends on who's the pitcher.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True. All along I think Morey's strategy is to stockpiling "assets" and wait for the opportunity of a home run to jump on. One can argue that it is the only strategy he has given the assumption that (1) he's not allowed to tank, and (2) Houston is not an attractive destination for big name FAs.

He could have done it in another way, namely, making aggressive move to get immediate fixes without regards of positioning himself to "hit a home run." Maybe he should just concentrate on making incremental improvements and just let luck take its place rather than worry too much about positioning assets.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Depends on what he drafts if he keeps his picks. He can hit a homerun with his picks too. Not sure how but it is possible.

19. caneks

caneks Rookie

I'd be glad if he could be as good as an averaged GM. Booo.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Do you think the rockets do a good job of player development?

We routinely watch the spurs find the late picks that are very good.
    Is that scouting and the GM
    or
    Is it that they develope their players better?

Rocket River