1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it acceptable for a true Rockets fan to root for Dallas?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ShutURBiG!, Jun 9, 2011.

?

As a Rockets fan, which team are you rooting for?

1. The Dallas Mavericks: Dirk and Kidd deserve a ring and Houston still has one more championship.

164 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. The Miami Heat: as a Rockets fan it is NEVER okay to root for a rival, ESPECIALLY a division rival.

60 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Neither: not a fan of either team. Rockets all the way.

48 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

I'm just going to keep it to the point to see what people think. Who are you rooting for to win the Finals?

Is it against Rockets creed to go for your division rival when you're out of it all?

Dallas
    True, we had a disputable series back in 2005 that was supposedly rigged, but this Dallas team is almost completely retooled. Terry still waves his arms like a buffoon after what it seems every three, but Nowitzki has come a long way and persevered. He is Dallas's Yao. Not to mention, Jason Kidd finally deserves his ring - he's indisputably a Hall of Fame player.
    When we played them this season most of the games were basically blowouts even though we came back and lost by a little. The last home game had everyone on their feet and it was a respectable match. Dallas won in the end, but no hard feelings.

Reasons for picking Dallas: the Texas Team, no big issues between Rockets recently, Nowitzki/Kidd deserve a ring, earned their way to the finals, Miami will have the same number of Championships as Houston, etc.

Heat
    AKA the super friends. Haven't even been together for a year and have the biggest bandwagon. Played against the Rockets twice this season and they were pretty close most of the time. Dwyane Wade had a "flagrant" foul on him in both games that changed the outcome because it put them ahead by two possessions. In the last game, they made sure to miss a free throw just so Chris Bosh could receive a double-double with LeBron and Wade. That moment made me hate the Heat even more than I hated them before. Most championship teams in the past are satisfied with the W. This is the most egotistical team I've witnessed since I started watching basketball in 2005. On a separate note, it seemed as if they won the championship when they were celebrating after defeating the Celtics, and more recently LeBron and Wade acting like they were sick and coughing like Nowitzki while walking into the arena.

Reasons for picking Miami: NOT a Texas Team/Rival, LeBron/Bosh deserve a ring, Miami doesn't have a bigmouth owner, etc.

I'm a Rockets fan to the end. I will support this team whether we are lottery or championship bound. I dream of the day the Rockets win their 3rd championship, and hopefully more. In this situation however, I would take Dallas.

What are your thoughts?

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

It absolutely is. It's working for me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shaud

Shaud Member

My thoughts are people should stop trying to tell other people what a true Rockets fan is in terms of rooting for whoever they want to in these finals or the playoffs period.

3 people like this.
  4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Completely agreed.

The only people that should be prohibited to root for is Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This. It's a free country, FFS...

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you mean this is the internet

1 person likes this.
  7. ShutURBiG!

True.

However, it will always remain a fact that Dallas is our division rival as long as we are in the same division.

8. ShutURBiG!

The internet is a whole different country.. ;)

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Rooting for the Mavs, but neither option fit for me. I am anti-Super Friends.

2 people like this.
  10. SacTown

SacTown Member

I voted for neither. I don't care either way, but I do like to engage Lebron haters who live for him having a bad game.

11. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

Im a Rockets fan at heart, but keep the championship in TX.
    P.S. Lebron, Wade, Bosh doesnt deserve a championship on their first year together!

12. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

This is absolutely NOT about the Mavs. It is about stopping the 1 team that could make the NBA UNINTERESTING for the next 5 years.

2 people like this.
  13. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

the poll is messed up because of course everyone is going to choose the last option but if I have to root against any team it's Dallas.

14. Chris Jent MVP

i'm not rooting FOR dallas ... i'm rooting AGAINST the heat.

i don't care if dallas wins ... i enjoy watching the heat LOSE.

:cool:

15. ShutURBiG!

Describes me perfectly. Sadly, unless there is something that prevents it in the new CBA, this may not be the last "super friends" team this decade.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

personally i feel it's acceptable. I dont see what's wrong with rooting for another team when you're a neutral (i.e. team is not playing). it's not like i'd still root for dallas if it was the rockets playing them in the conference finals.

i'm a rockets fan first, and basketball fan second. i still like watching playoffs basketball when the rockets are out of it.

17. MD_in_Training

And yet everyone is tuning in. Even if they lose, next year's motif will be the Super Team seeking redemption.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

19. what

what Member

20. Chris Jent MVP

tracy mcgrady, matt barnes, andrei kirilenko are some more i would add to that list.