1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Increased Flooding in Houston an Effect of Climate Change?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 18, 2016.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stop trying to save the earth.
    Damage is done and quite frankly,
    If im a dog with 8 billion fleas id want to be put out of my misery.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and all four RCP's show an increase in sea level that will have dramatic consequences for many parts of the world. So what are you asking me? What's your point?

Sandy was more intense because of global warming. Yes, the data supports that because SST have risen off the east coast in correlation with the temp increase and higher SST's are directly tied to increased intensity of cyclones.

In addition, global warming predicts the jet stream lowering further down and earlier than normal - which allows for a hurricane and a nor'eastern merger more likely which is what happened. I won't say that is tied to global warming as these storms are so rare that you can't scientifically make that link.

But you do it to SST and intensity.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Good article:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/hou...hp?t=998f746322438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

The fact is when the developers contribute to the County Judges who set the detention requirements, you are going to get less than cautious regulations. It's been that way for 50 years, back when I was a Land Planner in Fort Bend County in the 80's I saw it first hand.

The point is, the small government, no regulation types never look at the big picture over time, in pretty much everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You see this as a small government issue, I see it as a money in politics issue.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also think the lack of zoning in Houston is a problem. It has led to haphazard development and difficulties for guiding development to best address issues like drainage.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The answer is El Nino.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The money buys the politicians who use the "less big government regulation" tact to subvert the public interest that profits the money.

It's the same issue. Flooding due to bad planning for bigger profits to developers, global warming due to the suppression of alternatives by Big Carbon, expensive pharmaceuticals maintained by lobbied patent law, the ACA instead of single payer because of Big insurance.

Greed and profit subverting good science and common sense.