1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Hartenstein ready for backing up Clint?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Richauln Holmes or Kyle O'Quinn are our guys this summer. If we can get any of them for the minimum, they would be great options. For nights like this where Capela is just not there, we could really use someone. Faried is like Green, once in a while he can have a net positive impact, but generally he's such a hole/disaster in the team defense that it's tough for him to make it up on the boards and offense.

harold bingo likes this.
  2. Zergling

Zergling Member

I would've given him more minutes, especially in the 2nd half of the season when the rest of the team got their groove back.

If he can make that 3 on a regular basis, Morey and the Rockets will have no choice but to play him. He could be our Brook Lopez.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He should have gotten some burn last night.
    Nene and Faried as well

Rocket River

deb4rockets, tinman and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm finally on board. Play him and see if he can bring more energy than the regular bench did last night.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I would agree if this were the regular season, but when he's gotten time with the big guys, he's seemed lost more often than not.

Give him the backup role over the summer and let him ramp up to it properly. Throwing him out there right now is just asking for trouble.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Hartenstein doesn't play with a chip on his shoulder. He looks soft as charmin out there and that may work in the G-League but at this level, centers need to have a certain toughness to dissuade guards from attacking.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not buying that.

Siakam was a G-League stud and he translated his performance to starter on 2nd best East Conference team and candidate for MIP so making that kind of blanket generalization is disingenuous.

deb4rockets and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not saying to make him part of postseason rotation, but if bench is bringing nothing especially behind Clint, then letting him have some minutes could not hurt.

Clint was completely gassed last night and he played way too many minutes. If Nene cannot go then having Harty give Clint a blow is not a disaster.

deb4rockets and beardsanity713 like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the Jazz are going to leave Gobert in the paint, it might be nice to have Hartenstein on the 3pt line to take advantage.

DD

10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

The main fear is that he will bond with KD over their shared past of being finals MVP’s and will then get recruited to golden state to complete their big 5.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't know the stats around this theory to back it up, but I feel like the Jazz are really freaking good at picking up ticky tack fouls. Their scrambling and spazzy way of basketball just seems to catch players off rhythm and collects a ton of fouls.

So I think if you put Hartenstein in this game he would immediately pick up 3 fouls in 30 seconds.

Nene I think should be dusted off to deal with putting some body on Gobert and Favors. Yeah Capela has been deathly ill it sound like but he's been just complete garbage in this series. As bad as he's been though, he's still probably going to be more effective than Hartenstein & I think Nene & Faried are probably more effective with the backup minutes.

Next season I would expect Hartenstein to be the primary backup with Nene on his final year & Faried likely getting paid by someone else in free agency.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

I'd give Hartenstein some PT tomorrow. I still think it'd probably be nerve-wracking for him to debut any serious minutes against the Warriors, so let him have some against the Jazz.

The situation has changed. Hopefully Capela will be well again soon, but not having him out there (and he wasn't out there despite being out there for 27:30 last night) really put us in a big hole. Coach's extreme lack of confidence in Faried and the unexplained absence of Nene have literally pushed it to the point where you have no other big men left except Hartenstein. My confidence that the team is mentally ready to put the Jazz away is not high at this point after these past two really ugly games, so instead, go see what you can learn from your whole team while you still have a 3-1 lead.

D-rock, deb4rockets and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Should have played him up in Utah .

Refs and crowd would think he's white and give him the benefit of the doubt

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd like to see what he does with a few minutes. Some players rise to occasions like these. If he's not up to it that should be apparent pretty quickly.

GS won't give us the same paint problems Utah has. In the meantime I'd play all our centers to see who has it. Feeling bad for Capela but I'd rather he rest if our other guys can go.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few minutes won't kill us. Doing near nothing does kill us. Last night he should have gotten 5 minutes I think, and if it worked, then it was worth giving him a chance to do what nobody else was doing at center.

D-rock likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Put him in
    Let’s see what he’s got

D-rock and deb4rockets like this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If only this squad had an Earl Cureton or Charles Grandpa Jones

tinman likes this.
  18. tinman