1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Hartenstein ready for backing up Clint?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Apr 22, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well lets hope he can surpass that, and become Clint's backup next year. If he can learn to play better and not draw so many fouls, his height at the rim could be a strength. Nene doesn't rebound that well and isn't as good at 3PT shots. Faried is an undersized Center who I would rather see at PF.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's not just a matter of whether Hartenstein himself is ready, or even almost ready. Any error he makes, even something like a momentary hesitation when he's trying to remember a defensive assignment, can cascade and affect what everyone else is doing.

We had the best team in the league after the All-Star break, and we're on the verge of sweeping the Jazz, who were only one seed under us and supposedly much improved from last year. Why on Earth would we want to throw any variables into the mix that could introduce potential problems??

Voltik and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he needs to spend many, many more hours at the trump breakfast buffet . . .

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I give you that, I looked it up, and Jazz seemed to have won 2 games more than last season in which they were also the 5th seed.

Not much has changed for them.

5. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Actually, he can. MDA can give 5 minutes for him.

6. SemisolidSnake

If I wasn't a recklessly self-assured player, I think I'd be crapping my pants on court if my coach sent me from the G-League straight into Playoff Golden State with meaningful minutes. I'm not saying he does or doesn't have the skills, but the game is also extremely mental, and I can't imagine how someone would keep their cool and play at their highest level with few mistakes in that scenario. In fact, I think that's going to be a series that tests and exposes the mental toughness and clarity of every player on the team.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I say no to that one.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I wasn't expecting lots of minutes, just wondering if he could help. Obviously our coach didn't believe he could since he didn't bring him up before now. I didn't think House had tons more experience and didn't dominate the G League himself, or score much more than Hartenstein, but that's a diff position.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Kendrick Perkins looked horrific in the G-League.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Last year... saw Nick Johnson carry his G-League Finals MVP trophy as his carry-on bag in the Austin airport...

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I could see it , but I think there's about 3-4 different options MDA would try first .

Hopefully he gets plenty of time and we
    Keep blowing people out

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. bacliff

bacliff Member

Nene and Faried will see PT before he does. He may see time during garbage time is all.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Maybe we should put him in tonight to get some love from the Utah crowd.

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We need to see much, much better defensive footwork from this guy before putting him on the floor in any situation where he could be forced into a switch and iso'd. At this point, defensively, he would be another Ryno.

Personally, I think he'll be groomed and traded, because he fits better in other systems than in ours.

amaru and D-rock like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How dare you forget dmo .

37% in 14-15 and was trending up before he got hurt .

Hartenstein is skilled but I don't think he's anywhere near where dmo was that season (or in general )

Dmo had good passing , some handling skills , a good shot , and top-notch offensive post skills . Like legit good enough to be our #2 option for a decent part of the season .

But that's to be expected . Hartenstein is way younger right now .

I think Harty will improve and surprise people with his skills , but not until he gets comfortable to the NBA pace .... which will probably take a while and honestly may never happen . He's still a prospect at this point . Dmo was a bonafide rotation player before he got hurt

Edit . And since I'm talking about dmo today check out these passes . Can you inagine what MDA could do with him ?

#35 snowconeman22, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I didn't forget DMO, but he isn't an option. He left us for ore money than we were willing to pay. Where did that get him?

#36 deb4rockets, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

He has some skills, but I don't think this is the right system for him. Maybe I'm wrong.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Siakam is good company, Raptor starter and likely MIP this season.

I hope Harty can produce similar results.

deb4rockets and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

with as bad as clint and farried have been tonight , im ready or hartenstein :)

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

If he finds 1 skill set that would work on our team and perfect that this summer, eg... boxing out, rebounding, setting screens, the offense will come. He just looks lost out there.

seemoreroyals likes this.