1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden already the best SG in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LikeMike, Jan 9, 2013.

?

Who is the best SG in the NBA right now?

1. Kobe Bryant

28.5%
  2. James Harden

68.3%
  3. Somebody else

3.2%
  1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We've only played 35 games this season. Kobe Bryant has been the best shooting guard in the NBA for about the last 950 games. Let's wait just a bit before we hand that title to a guy who's biggest accomplishment is 6th man of the year. James looks great, but again, only 35 games. He could cool off.

2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Harden is in the conversation and it is not clear that he is better OR worse than Kobe at this point -- and that in itself is awesome. We have not had a player you could make a reasonable case for being the best at their position since Yao was healthy.

Kobe is having a better season statistically and is still the better defender, but Harden's team is winning more -- and the Lakers are underachieving while the Rockets are overachieving. Plus, Harden is still very new to the team.

Overall I think Harden is better than Kobe or Wade -- but I am clearly bias. My thinking though is that if you replaced Harden with Wade or Kobe, and vice versa, that the Rockets' record would be worse and those of the Lakers/ Heat would be better. But again, I am a bias Rockets fan.

But again, this thread is perfect because it points out that Harden is already at that all-NBA level and, barring injuries (knocking on wood) we have a franchise player. While there is no argument clearly showing Harden to be the best shooting guard in the NBA, there is not one that can show he isn't at this point...and that, again, is freaking awesome.

1 person likes this.
  3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Dwyane Wade has been better than/at the level of Kobe for years now.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I guarantee you once playoffs roll around, Harden will be a much much better defender

5. Mariachi ROCKET

Lets win a ring with J Hard first guys!!! But yea, he is a kick ass SG! Top 3 for sure!

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Right now, there isn't a SG who is playing better than Harden, ie there is no evidence to the contrary of Harden being the best presently.

7. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Just blasphemous!

-Stephen A. Smith

8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

No.

Kobe
    Wade
    Harden

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is a fair point but please remember that it's not just 35 games. Harden was already in the top 3-4 shooting guards last season on limited usage off the bench. It's not like Harden is some rookie, we already have a substantial track record of him being an excellent player. His efficiency last season was record-breaking good, and yes, he may only have scored 17ppg, but he did it on only 31 minutes and just 10 shots.

So we're not looking at Harden from a perspective of just these 35 games, we're looking at the total picture where those 35 games represent a small but important step forward from the player we already knew he was.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know that Harden wasn't very impressive against Miami in the Finals, but didn't he absolutely destroy the Spurs?

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Different when you are the "man" though.

I think it would at least require a McGrady-esque playoff performance, up 3-1 into game 7 loss while putting up monster stats, to put Harden into best-SG territory.

If the Rockets make it to the 2nd round, I don't care against who, then Harden may have cemented himself as at least 1A to Kobe's #1.

12. Williamson

I'm with you. I'm just absolutely thrilled we're having this discussion. When we acquired Harden, there were people arguing he wasn't even a max contract guy. Others were saying he is at best a 2nd option on a championship team.

I feel like he's shut all of those doubters up. Harden is proving he can be the center piece of a championship contending team. These days, we're all talking about finding that "2nd star". And I couldn't be happier about that.

I can't give Morey enough credit. Around this time last year, I literally quit watching Rockets games for the very first time since my childhood. I just couldn't take the mediocrity treadmill any longer. Now, we have the youngest team in the league, there is talk we could even be as high as the 4th seed by the end of the season, and we have a legitimate superstar to build around. AMAZING TURNAROUND!

It's a great time to be a Rockets fan.

13. Williamson

That's fair. But I'm just having trouble imagining how he can even be stopped. The man is just so strong! He bulldozes his way through the lane, and, unlike somebody like Kevin Martin, he isn't just driving to get fouled. He's actually trying to score every time - and it often times results in the and 1's.

Once we get a legitimate second star (and I think Lin could even be that guy if he can just become a reliable spot up 3 point shooter), the league is on notice. Especially if we acquire even a Paul Milsap type player in the offseason or at the trading deadline.

14. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

lin fans voting for kobe trololol

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Let's get real now, Harden is a top 5 shooting guard and WILL be the best shooting guard in the league once he hits his prime. But right now Kobe and Wade are still better. I know Harden is hot right now, but it doesn't mean he's the best. He's a top 5, maybe a top 3, but Kobe still the best.

16. lalala902102001

I'm as big a Harden fan as anyone here, but you can't just crown him the best SG in the NBA when he has yet to show he can lead a team in the playoffs. His performance with OKC in last year's finals was dissapointing and probably one of the reasons he was traded. James still has a lot to prove.

Bryant and Wade have 7 rings and 3 Finals MVPS between them.

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Along with every other nba player

18. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I think he is still second to Kobe, but he is way better than Wade.

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Not really he seems t limited to eurostepping or 3 pt shooting. Kobe still,king until he retires

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

People are really overstating the extent to which Wade has regressed.