1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jul 26, 2016.

?

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Disagree. Harden has too many similarities with Carmelo. Looks good at times, but doesn't play defense that often, and doesn't seem to help his team mates play better.

2. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

steven curry isn't even top 50 in the league

3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

This is a joke right... Yes he played with KD and Harden plays with no one close... If he did he wouldn't have as many TOs and his efficiency would be higher amongst other things.

And WRONG.. The year KD missed games... He had one of the highest USG rates in NBA history and he averaged more TOs than Harden... Also more FGA and jackups.
    He's had seasons were he's averaged more FGA than KD and many games where he's done so.... That's unacceptable.

Russ is a great player, but he's very erratic and yes "more selfish" if that's how we're putting it. Look at who he's played with and look at Harden.

Harden was the sole legit ball handler, playmaker, and shot creator on his team.

Lesson over.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This lack of context is amazing

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think KD is overrated, he tries too hard to take over but ends up playing like Harden when he iso's too much and do nothing. KD playing within his role is better than Harden, but they both have IQ issues.

I'd prefer WB over KD based solely on playoff performance.

I can't get a grasp on Harden, I have my doubts, he can entirely take over games, but this is just my opinion, his game is based on exploiting weak teams, but when he goes against good defense that lacks loop holes he doesn't have the athleticism to be efficient. Maybe this will change with a new offensive system, but I have my doubts.

I think all the players on the list other than Lebron can be 2-5 equally. I don't know how good Curry would be out of the GS system, KD and Durant obviously have boneheaded flaws as shown in the playoffs but also shown they can be unstoppable against GS. Lenoard is a different category because his offense isn't there with the rest, he is way more well rounded but he can't takeover games.

1. Lebron

2. WB
    3. Harden, Curry
    4. Durant

Durant just left a bad image in my head with the choke against GS, I can't forgive him.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

If Harden and Melo sat out last year, how many wins do you think NY and Rockets would have won?

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you talk about IQ issues then you rank WB as #2? :eek::rolleyes:

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Westbrook play way way smarter than Durant this entire playoffs, I'm basing it on recent performance only. I remember this sequence in game 6 of GS series when Durant asked to Iso like 4 or 5 times at the end of the game and literally ****ed up every single time and they lost.

I think the whole WB being low IQ is a myth at the point, he was boneheaded for a long time in his career, he has certainly improved on that aspect now or else they wouldn't have beaten the Spurs and went 3-1 on GS.

In fact Westbrook carried them the entire series, every time they needed a basket he got it for them one way or another. Durant just iso's forces up bad shots.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Westbrook is elite:

Rebounder for PG
    Assist
    Score
    Driver
    Finisher
    Freethrows
    Makes his teammates better
    Ball handler
    Mid-range

Leonard:

Scorer
    Defender
    Finisher
    Midrange
    Three point shooting
    Freethrows
    Rebounder for his position
    Basketball IQ

Each one of those players, including Harden have a lot of great aspects to their games. Let's not be bias all the time when it comes to our favorite player.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

after lebron, maybe kawhi has enough defense to outpace harden's offense and maybe westbrook does enough to make up for harden's efficiency. no one else is a guy who is capable of or willing to lead a team to a championship, so 4th is the lowest you can put him.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You forget Curry and CP3

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Thank you.

One of the few posters here that apparently possesses bball IQ

13. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

This is the laziest comparison I've seen spewed by casuals... Harden is nothing like Melo

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i remembered them.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

This is laughable.... Russ is the worst of the bunch.
    There is no way in hell he's better than KD or Harden.

As bad as KD choked in game 6... Guess who choked the last three games of the WCF?

Russell Westbrook.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Harden has has his share of joking in big playoffs games too. The biggest on was the 14 turnovers game against the Warriors.

Again we're being very biased.

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You don't even have to say this... Just look at the Knicks and how they've done with Melo... In the East... He's not a superstar

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Wait... so I take it he was playing with another elite superstar in that game? And wasn't carrying Houston in that series.

19. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Yes it does, if Josh Smith doesn't do that then the Rockets are out of the playoffs and people can't claim that Jim Haren "carried" them to the Western Conference finals.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Doesn't mean he didn't choke in Game 5. Let's not act like he didn't have any help either. Strange you're clamoring about Durant and Westbrook choking but not Harden.

Shoots even LeBron has his share of choking. It happens to the best of them.