1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Gary Kubiak truly on the Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I keep hearing this but . . . .I just don't see it
    I think McNair gives him AT LEAST one more year.
    No matter what

What would the final record have to be for him to be fired?

Rocket River

2. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Anything less than 6 wins gets Kubiak fired (I hope)

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wishful thinking, even from myself.

Not on the hot seat. His seat isn't even warm. He has a nice comfortable seat.

People can say "Well Bob is gonna continue to support Gary until he doesn't (or until he fires him)" but did you see his comments last week?

Yup, count on two things from Bob: "Those kids are still playing hard!" and "injuries".

#3 J.R., Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. mario_v

mario_v Member

I know I'm in the minority here but I think that Kubiak did a really good job with Keenum last game against the chiefs. He really opened the playbook up. We saw things we havent seen before from Schaub.

There were so many explosive plays last week, more than what schaub has the last two years.

I'm starting to think that Kubiak was conservative with his playcalling because of Schaub's limitations as a QB (weak arm, no mobility). I think we also ran some run option plays which will really open up our offense and it will make our running offense consistent and more effective.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I do not believe he is on the hot seat.

6. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I agree. Kubiak as an OC is great, but as a HC, he stinks.

7. Summer Song Giver

Bob Mcnair sucks.

He will keep Kubiak rather than pay Kubiak to go away and then have to also pay another coach to replace him. And ole' Ricker has nestled so close to the old mans bosom that it will be another 5 plus years before we rid ourselves of his horrible cap management and drafts. And Wade likely already has the job when Kubiak is pushed off into the ice.

This organization sucks and it all starts with Scrooge Mcnair.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'd set the key number at 5. 4 wins or less and he's fired. 6 wins or more and he probably stays. 5 wins can go either way.

Of course, we could beat Arizona, Oakland, and Jacksonville twice and reach 6 wins. If we blow half of those games plus all the rest, I don't know how McNair could justify keeping Kubes, even with "injuries" excuse while conveniently ignoring that we were sucking before we had injuries.

9. Summer Song Giver

so why re-up him (Schaub) why then have his only competition on the roster be a fifth rounder and an undrafted guy? It doesn't add up.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The one thing I think was missing from his playcallig was the bootleg. I think with Keenum the bootleg would be even more potent.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nope, Marciano should have been fired 3 years ago and he's still on the team. Kubiak might retire as coach of the Texans, or at least until Uncle Bob is no longer here.

12. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I agree. Kubiak knows his QB limitations. I've been saying it for a while now. It is only so much he can do with Schaub. I just really hope he doesn't go back to Schaub, so we can really see what we have in Case before the draft.

13. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

The PA bootleg is not working anymore. Teams are having their backside DE/LB to always attack the QB instead of the RB. That's why the run game has been great over the last few weeks.

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think that's a combination of a few things that included Schaub. But if I am not mistaken we ran it in the beginning of the game and that was the ball Graham couldn't get to for the TD.

I figure with a Mobile QB there are a bit more things you can do with the bottleg.

15. Major

Major Member

The last thing you want from an owner is questioning his coaches in the middle of the season. Even if he's on the hot seat, or even if it's already been determined he's going to be fired at the end of the year, nothing good comes of saying that now. I don't think you can read anything into McNair's comments right now.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The number of injuries this season guarantees Kubiak survives no matter what the final record is.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kubiak forever! :grin:

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If only there were a way to get rid of an owner....

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Somewhat ironically, given the dual dislike of Kubiak and Schaub - I think the emergence of Case Keenum – ultimately good or bad – is going to probably save Kubiak’s job. It has settled down a very angry, very loud fan base that was teetering on anarchy (no way Kubiak comes back if the level of vitriol, post-St. Louis, had continued unabated all season); it might be the thing that salvages the season, record-wise, which, in turn, will solidify Kubiak’s bona fides (assuming Case plays well); or it provides a ready-made excuse (Schaub was injured) or, if needed, sacrifice (Schaub).

If Schaub doesn’t get hurt, keeps his job and levels out while the team goes… 6-10, 7-9 – I think they’d both be gone. Keenum could very well have bought Kubiak one more year.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think we need to give Schaub more time. Perfect example is David Carr. He blossomed under the Giants leadership and won countless playoff games and an NFL championship ring.