1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Gary Kubiak a better coach than Bill O'Brien?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 25, 2016.

?

Is Gary Kubiak a better coach than Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

60.3%
  2. No

39.7%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

A couple of points here: 1) Elway wanted to retain Brock Osweiler; he can conveniently spin it however he wants, after the fact - but the overwhelming evidence suggest otherwise and the media shoveling his modified version of events is pure, unadulterated bullshit; 2) Kubiak's offense is tailor-made for a QB with Brock's skill set; he's a bigger, more athletic version of Schaub. My guess is that Osweiler - and the Broncos - would've been OK with Osweiler as long as they retained Kubiak.

As much as the Texans may have made a mistake, I think Brock made a bigger one...

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think Kubiak is a great coach, but I do think there is such thing a great coach staying in one place too long and becoming stale like Andy Reid with the Eagles. I think that's what happened here. I think Kubiak is a better coach in a vacuum, but BOB is the better coach for the Texans.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Osweiler himself said Denver took forever to contact him about an offer so it doesn't sound like they were too excited to keep him

4. liveguy

liveguy Member

And now you see why.....

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Which coach has a Superbowl championship? There's your answer.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Not saying he's a particularly great coach for the Texans either, I just remember how toxic it got at the end for Kubiak here. They both needed a fresh start.

8. vick

vick Member

Obrien was supposed to be the quarterback whisperer . What happened? Each time Texans play in prime time you can only hope that they do not get embarrassed. As much as i hate Dallas they have owners that do not hesitate to make changes if things are not working.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Per Elway, the Broncos offered "a very competitive and fair long-term contract to Brock." I don't think they ever thought he'd leave.

As for the timeline and how Brock remembers it - keep in mind: this all happened over a matter of days and was greatly influenced by the uncertainty surrounding Peyton Manning's future. The Broncos could not negotiate with Osweiler until they knew what Manning was going to do, which he announced on March 6. The exclusive window for teams to negotiate with their own free agents was March 7-9. At 3 pm on March 9, free agency opened.

During that two-day window, the Broncos offered Osweiler 3 years/$45MM; when the deadline passed, and Brock became a free agent, the Broncos, having learned of Houston's interest, offered $16MM/year and $39MM guaranteed.

So assuming Brock really did say they "took forever" - that's just not consistent with the timeline (unless he means the period between Feb. 16 and March 9 - but, again, the Broncos were handcuffed by Manning's looming decision.) Otherwise, between March 7 and 9, when Osweiler agreed to a deal with the Texans, the Broncos made two confirmed offers.

So, again - any idea the Broncos didn't want Osweiler is Elway retroactively spinning a story to make himself look better.

10. Mr. Clutch

I seriously doubt the $39m guaranteed number. All the early indications were that Denver was offering much less guaranteed money, then there was a single article much later that said the Broncos offered like 30m guaranteed.

Denver never imagined some team would throw some crazy offer out there, which only the Texans did. I think they were willing to go higher than their own projected value of him but nowhere close to $37m guaranteed which is why Brock's agent told him to stop taking their calls (he sure didn't want Brock to be convinced of taking a lower offer)

That said, yes Denver wanted to keep him.

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Common denominator in BoB's and Kubiak's struggles has been Rick Smith. It's a broken record at this point but the truth.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Wade Philips defense masks Kubiak's pansy like play calling. He did it again yesterday at home before the half...If Kubiak is DOWN big early in a game, his system really has a difficult time making up the difference.
    Wade Philips has a collectively fast and talented defensive core. The guys fly around and it really requires offensive execution in order to beat a great defense. The Texans were in it...until the Brock fumble...I am more impressed that Bill OBrien has found a way to win in this league WITHOUT QB play. Take a moment to think about that...Imagine if he actually got a better performance from behind center.

Bill OBrien is a much better coach...Brock's inability to make consistent plays with his arm has stymied this offense.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Depends on how much responsibility you think Smith has. I think that Smith has very little responsibility by himself, he's just McNair's puppet. McNair loves him because he can tell Smith who to sign or who we should draft. If Smith leaves McNair will just find another puppet. We need a GM who won't accept ownership meddling into decisions like that.

14. Malaya

Malaya Member

Which coach did Brock play better under? Who's winning games with a rookie QB vs. A four-year guy? There's your answer.

Makes me think we should just have changed QBs under Kubiak, rather than letting him go.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

You are just wrong.

Kubiak has been successful everywhere he's coached. Just because he's a more conservative play caller than you would like doesn't mean he's a bad coach. He was successful as the Broncos offensive coordinator for many years. He coached the Texans during their best years. He did well as the Ravens offensive coordinator. He won a Super Bowl having to use Osweiler and a worn out Manning at QB. It's really silly to hate on the guy at this point. He's proven himself to be a good coach.

I'm not ready to give up on O'Brien, I think he may turn out to be a good coach. The injuries to the offensive line this year make it harder to judge Osweiler or the job the coaching staff is doing. But, right now Osweiler looks like the worst QB in the league. I never thought we would have a difficult time getting the ball to Hopkins. I wouldn't be disappointed if O'Brien gave Savage a shot, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Everyone is acting as if Trevor Siemian destroyed us...He was a game manager Monday night. And didnt do things to hurt the team. The Broncos destroyed us at the LOS...and ran the ball at will. And Trevor isnt a rookie, he was the 3rd stringer last year in Denver. Look I like what Trevor has done this season...and it really stinks that Brock cant find a way to get the ball to his play makers accurately. But its the unexpected play from the QB position that has set the teams on a different course...Everyone wants to second guess decisions that are made. Brock moved for the money, and Elway wasnt gonna pay him that much. So far, Elway comes out looking like a genius.

But there is a lot of history to be written, hoping Brock can get it done...He has a ton of work to do in the off-season regardless of this season's outcome.

17. Mr. Clutch

I'm sure O'Brien could go to Baltimore and make the offense elite in one year.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don't know.. Let's wait and see what they do with Romo.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

At one point during the 2nd half Monday, Kubiak was running the ball, running the ball and running the ball. The next play was (you guessed it) a play action bootleg that went for a long completion.

I thought to myself "this is the exact playcalling we all used to crucify him for on a weekly basis, and here he is doing it to us and we are falling for it hook line and sinker." Can you say irony?

I'm starting to think this franchise is seriously just cursed. NRG was built too close to the Astrodome and the ghosts of all dead Astros and Oilers took it personally.

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think this is about the personnel decisions questions. Gary had control of the 53 when he was here and he wasn't the coach that he is now. I think Bill can be a better coach if the Texans organization removes that part of the equation from the Head coaching position. I think this comes down to coaches getting to emotionally tied to a player who isn't producing. Now granted I think it would also quickly answer the Rick Smith question. If Rick is the GM let him be the GM and fire him when it all falls down. This we make decisions together model needs to GO!!! If the coach ain't preparing the team to play fire him. If the GM ain't getting enough of talent in here then fire him. Right now the Texans don't have clear fault points and that is the fault of Bob McNair!