1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Dwight Howard the most overrated Center in NBA history?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DudeWah, Dec 6, 2012.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He can be God and still can't get it done without guards and perimeter players. You are right about that.
    But I am still not 100 percent impressed with his offensive arsenal of running hooks and shortage of traditional post game.
    Centers are dying out so why do I have to bother to mention one?!

We'll see when his athleticism is as good as gone....wait
    What about now with an injured back
    Guys who rely too much on athleticism and explosion and less on fundamentals and skills will have enormous problems

He has the tools but not the drive to be the best of the best

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

People just say he's the best Center in today's game so that is why I said name a Center that would have taken that team to the finals. That question wasn't for you just for the people who call him overrated. Some people seem to think that people think he is an all-time great which isn't true

3. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

The Center position is dead in the NBA.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just wait until his career is finished....

5. dragonz

dragonz Member

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this statment?

$5 for the first right answer.

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He was the real deal until the back injury.

7. likestohypeguy

-There are two periods at the end of his sentence.

-By saying "even Yao had" implies a comparison to someone who otherwise didn't have alot of moves in comparison, which is not true.

-Use of inappropriate language ("hell")?

-Referring to it as "the" hook shot, instead of "a" hook shot, or the type of hook shot (implying it's yao's own)?

IDK if you mean syntax, content, or style, but if I have to choose one answer only, it's the two periods. That IS definitely something wrong with the statement. Final answer. $5?

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He will never be Hakeem Olajuwon, but he "could have" been Patrick Ewing. However, he lacks that competitive firey edge that a big man like Ewing had even though he has the same physical tools.

Yes, the guy is young, and he is coming off back surgery... I get it. However you just cant turn a blind eye to the physical gifts this guy has that he has never been able to turn into the beast that he could be. That's ok.... he's still a top 10 player as is. Its just sad to think of what he could be, or what he "THINKS" he is.

9. QazQay

QazQay Member

He's one of the best defensive and rebounding centers ever. He's not overrated, even if his offense is based solely on put backs and finishing (which he is really, really good at though). A hyper efficient 20per40 minutes from your center isnt exactly terrible.

10. Asian Sensation

This. You don't go from being a top 3 player in the league for the last 5 years to being called "overrated". He's got 3 things going against him this year. Not healthy, wrong fit, playing second fiddle.

I think people forget how good and dominant Dwight was in the past because of the Lakers struggles this year. With that said he doesn't look 100% out there. If I were to guess I'd say he's around 80-85% and you compound that with the Lakers identity crisis and having to play second fiddle to Kobe it's going to be tough.

Even with those 3 things going against Dwight he's still putting up decent numbers. A fully healthy Dwight in place of Omer Asik on a Rockets team would be putting up the usual 20/14/3 blocks and be considered "DOMINANT".

11. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

If Mark Eaton were playing ball right now, he'd be better than dwight. I wish i was 6'10. I'm not scared of wolves so i'd go into the woods :cool:

12. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Sabonis shouldn't even be on that list. By the time he got to the NBA, he was way past his prime.

I can see him like Ewing or Robinson. Except less offense but more Defense.

This year he's been recovering from surgery so that explosiveness or quick reaction time just isn't there.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

David Robinson was massively more overrated. Consider, for example, the phony acclaim he got (MVP honors!) in 1995 when he wasn't even the 5th best player at his position that season. Dream, Shaq, and Ewing were all his superiors, along with (arguably) a ridiculously efficient Alonzo Mourning in his last season as a Charlotte Hornet.

Nothing says fraudulent regular season sensation and unwarranted acclaim like being destroyed in the playoffs by the very center who was snubbed so you could get your empty-ass trophy:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hW4uXlRGAF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to hell, David Robinson.

14. supdudes

supdudes Member

Hakeem, Shaq, Yao.

I bet Yao would've dominated Robinson and Ewing.

As for the guy who said EVEN Yao had a hookshot, it was one HELL of a hook shot

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Yao had every post move not just the hook. He isn't an all time great either cause of injuries but he was the better more talented player than Dwight. Shaqs played against both and he says Yao coulda Been a top 5 center. I know there friends but Shaq doesn't just hand out complements.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Plus Yao held down the top 2 defense for 5 seasons as soon as he leaves with the se personnel what happened? Bottom ranking. That's the biggest misconception about Yao is that he wasn't a good defender it prob makes me more mad than anything ppl say about him.

17. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

I concur this! Yao was a very very good defender!

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol Royal Admiral hate?
    guy had a quadruple double like the Dream

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yeah no, you're right, you really nailed it, "David Robinson was better than Hakeem Olajuwon, because of [irrelevant quadruple double]."

You just saw a video of "The Admiral" getting sonned by the very player you're comparing him to, when the stakes mattered most.

NBA Dish is ***king dumb these days.

1 person likes this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    My point behind saying that was when Yao entered the league his post game was soft. He didn't have the "sand in his pants" to bang down in the post consistently and his offensive arsenal was still raw. He shot his little jumpers more often than not.

But, through extensive hard work and dedication as well as training with some greats, he developed a hell of a post game. Including a very solid hook shot. And it wasn't some lame running baby hook either. It was the closest thing to the sky hook i've seen in modern times, minus the whole one leg take-off thing.

That's the difference between Yao and Dwight. Yao progressed and was a dominant force. Dwight is just meh.