1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Dwight Howard even a top 10 center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL this was a fun thread, wait, what it was serious?!

2. Swishh

Swishh Member

LOL @ some of the homerism. It's just blatant and sad.

Really...trying to argue that Dwight's better than Cousins just because he outplayed him in their recent game? Cousins is much better. Dwight isn't top 5 anymore. Gasol, Cousins, Drummond, Whiteside, Horford are better, and there may be more.

I actually think KAT will be better than Dwight (if not already) as soon as he starts to get more playing time / more comfortable. Better offensive player and his defense is great.

3. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Experience >>>>>

4. CallMeTheDream

I'm taking Howard over all those guys except Cousins and MAYBE I'll think about Drummond.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You forgot Kevin Seraphin. He owns Dwight.

6. CertifiedTroll

No, Dwight is #12.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The center position is about defense and not one of those players is as good as Dwight at defense. Jordan and Whiteside are close, but not quite there. Dwight is still number one, especially considering his ability to score when given the ball. I'm sorry if you don't like traditional skills, but his skills still dominate the defense.

8. dream2franchise

Thing is, people want to say he's not top 10 and this and that...

Yet the playoffs come around and he's matched up against Chandler, or Deandre, or Bogut and he outplays them.

Then during the season he'll have a game like this against Boogie, or he'll frustrate another big into a poor shooting performance, or dunk on a young rookies head.

Sure, he can get played out of a game with the right defensive scheme, combined with our players inability to find him in good position but I am comfortable having Dwight go against any big in the league, especially when they use single coverage.

Plenty of centers are more offensively skilled than Dwight, but to be better than him they need to...ya know...score on him and he makes that VERY difficult.

Except for Yao. Yao owned him :grin:

9. dream2franchise

Also, there's something to be said for skills vs impact.

Hakeem was more skilled than Shaq, but Shaq's impact was felt just as much. It's all about maximising what you have.

10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Although there is 5 centers better, ob certain days Dwight can sneak in into the list like he did against sac and. His talent is still there, he can still jump ect, for gods sake couple of games ago they threw him a lob he caught way behind his head and dunked it! It's all about consistency with him as well as a system to use him off the ball instead of posting

11. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Drummond: yes
    Cousins: yes
    Okafor: lol
    Gasol: not a center
    Towns: lol again
    Monroe: not a center...again
    Horford: nope
    Jefferson: never
    Whiteside: hype
    Jordan: I'd call it a tie

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Nah, Dwight's got a better touch.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Of all time, of course not but maybe. But right now of course he still is. He's a hurt just a bit but his awesome physical prowess is unheard of even at half strength.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO at this thread, Dwight might not be a top 10 of all time but he certainly is a top 10 center currently playing, he's arguably top 1, definitely top 3.

Putting guys like Horford, Jahlil Okafor and Al Jefferson as better than Dwight the OP obv has no idea what he's talking about.

15. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Dwight is still a top 10 center but only because there aren't a lot of great ones. Here are 5 I'd take at each facet of the game before Dwight right now.

Defense.

1. Gobert
    2. Whiteside
    3. Duncan
    4. Bogut
    5. DeAndre jordan
    6. Dwight howard

Scoring + passing

1. Cousins
    2. Marc gasol
    3. DeAndre Jordan
    4. Horford
    5. Anthony-towns
    6. Pau gasol
    7. Brook lopez
    8. Whiteside
    9. Duncan
    10. Monroe

Rebounding

1. Drummond
    2. Whiteside
    3. Jordan
    4. Dwight
    5. Cousins

The centers I'd take outright overall for Dwight right now given our team?

Jordan, Whiteside - both basically faster more athletic versions of Dwight.

Marc gasol - high post pnr with harden would be sick, plus he's capable of dpoy level defense. Great Passer.

Cousins - defense isn't as good as Dwight, but he has both a pop and dive game.

Probably 5th best center if Marc gasol ever returns to form and if you don't count guys like anthony Davis and draymond green who play center sometimes.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Seemed like Cousins had turned the corner on defense first half of last year. Kings Blues just got him down??? If you put him in a good situation, I wonder how he'd do defensively. Is he playing mostly at center still? I know they have Koustos logging some minutes.

17. fattz

fattz Member

He is the top paid center in the league on a hard capped .500 team. Plays his "Role" but still paid like LBJ. I think IF put on the trade block there would not much value in him. Cost > Production

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I think if you put cousins in a situation right now where he didn't have to lead a team and there was another leader he respects, he would excel in all facets of the game. Would easily be the most desirable center.

Imagine cousins being mentored by Duncan or garnett. Imagine LeBron keeping him in line.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

KAT FTW. People don't realize, neither did I at first but KAT may be the closest thing to Duncan since Duncan. Blake Griffin had similar numbers, but a different game. KAT might be the best 4 in the league in a year or two and that includes AD. Look at a AD's rookie year, not as good as what KAT has posted in 25 games. Also, KAT has an AMAZING jumper. He hit's 3's, mid-range and free throws like a guard.

I would trade Dwight and anything but James for KAT, just saying. Even James becomes tempting on nights like these where he just gives up.

I'm ranting now but I don't know what is more disappointing about this season.....how bad the Rockets are or how good the Warriors are. The only way anybody but GSW wins the ring is if Curry, Green or Thompson go down. Even if they do, there is about 8 teams I'd pick over the Rockets right now.

20. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Morey would trade Dwight for Cousins or Drummond IN A HEARTBEAT. 'Nuff said.