1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Durant really that much better than Tmac?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YallMean, May 20, 2011.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We're talking about the better PLAYER here, not PERSON.

Anyone who is that delusional to not say Mcgrady should be slapped really hard from a basketball standpoint. T-Mac in Orlando was the NBA's best scorer, hell of an athlete and one of the all-time great playmakers for a SG.

As long as Durant doesn't step up his passing and court vision, he will never be on the level of a prime T-Mac.
    This is not even close if you think about who's the more complete player, it's like comparing Melo/Durant with Bron.

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

T-Mac was never the NBA's best scorer. point per game is not equal to scoring ability. as far as scoring goes, he's on the same level as Iverson or slightly better than Jerry Stackhouse when he was 2nd in scoring one season. Durant, on the other hand, is on the level of kobe and lebron. the only thing T-Mac has on Durant is the passing game. i'll give you that. but T-Mac is probably better passer than Michael too. the better scoring efficiency of Durant more than makes up for the lack of passing game. So i'll take Durant any day.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Inhis prime tmac put up a PER of 30 the only guys who have done this are Wilt, jordan, shaq, wade, and Robinson. His true shooting TS% that season was 56% which is a little lower than Durant's 60%, but everything else tmac did better.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Durant got out of the 1st,2nd round..... Why not?? I'd say he's better...

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I pleasantly disagree with both notions, Durant lacks the playmaking ability of both Kobe and LeBron. In fact, I think he can almost be fairly useless without his scoring, unlike those two and even Tracy McGrady.

Kevin Durant fits the description perfectly as a player who can be seen as one dimensional, even though he has fantastic scoring ability. Again, even as a superstar player, he lacks the intangibles of a Kobe or LeBron, even more so than McGrady, also not having the same passing ability or running an offense. Though, I would take Durant as a more efficient (not by leaps and bound) scorer, getting to the line, and a better rebounder (but he is 6,10, and still not be a great disparity). If Durant is the better player than T-Mac, it is not by much. Durant has been blessed with a great organization, and somewhat decent collection of players with starters who are actually supposed to be starters (unlike Orlando and his early Houston years). I'm also not sure about a player with good scoring ability being better than one with good to great passing ability.

Having a great passing guard, especially one who can collect assists is really the team's offense. Look at what a player, like Steve Nash; Jason Kidd; Deron Williams; or Chris Paul do for their teams. Or, even great scorers who had the ability to pass, like John Havilcek; Michael Jordan; Clyde Drexler; Larry Bird; and few others. Are greater players than other scorers for the fact, that they can initiate offense, as well as score. I do not think Durant has that capability to be a great passer like that. He lacks the court vision and awareness to be as effective as say LeBron or even T-Mac with ball. He's a scorer and that's pretty much it.

Everything else is up for grabs, Durant is probably a better defender than T-Mac in the second half of his career (when the injuries started to happen), definitely not in McGrady's first half. In McGrady's early days to even his early Houston days, he was a very good defender/ Praised alot in Toronto, and somewhat in Orlando. Even in the 05 playoffs, he was able to guard and slow down a bit, the great Dirk Nowitzki. Durant being a better defender than T-Mac in his early days or even his monster-scoring prime is unfathomable. If anyone says T-Mac was a truly bad or even mediocre defender through his first six to eight seasons, I'd almost take their comments, like a grain of salt.

Comparing T-Mac to Jerry Stackhouse, almost at any point in their prime years is criminal, much less their style of play and scoring ability. I can say that T-Mac was a superior athlete to Stackhouse, as well as a greater and more varied player on offense. Much less than true scoring ability, T-Mac for most of his prime was averaging near or above 25, while Stackhouse only did it once. Moreover, T-Mac was a better shooter and more efficient scorer than Stackhouse who was wildly more inefficient than T-Mac, while also lacking the playmaking abilities. He's mid range was very mediocre for am all-star caliber player, add to that he highest FG% in a season is only 43%. One year, his 3 point percentage almost as much as his FG%, which is never a good sign.

There's no way Stackhouse had the same impact against defenses, even simply scoring wise than McGrady.

This is not direct completely at you Johnty, but alot of posters are not going to give T-Mac his credit. There's too much venom involved to do so.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac fans have this hypocritical circle of statements:

1. Tmac's teammates sucks, he had to do it all himself

2. Tmac is the best scorer ever

so if you fix #1, then will Tmac be the best scorer in statement #2?

3. Tmac never had a Westbrook to play with

Durant has Westbrook and still was the best scorer in the league for two years.

4. Tmac in the Orlando was the best

What was Orlando's record with Tmac? How good was that conference again? is it the same L-Eastern Conference that Cuttino/Steve whipped up on?

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

See you don't even realize what i've said, nothing you stated is a reply to my post.

I didn't mention his teammates, i talked about the question "better PLAYER?".
    Your points 1-3 are a total waste, sorry.

Point 4: Why does their record matter??????

Have to repeat myself, we are talking pure skill/overall package here, you bring stuff up that has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

Did Kobe succeed without Gasol, did he advance in the playoffs? NO.
    Was he a bad player because of this? NO.

You may be right that Mcgrady acted bad as a player and quitted on teams, but Kobe did the same thing too, he also wanted to be traded spoke ill towards teammates.

But why do you never speak bad of Kobe? Cause he never was part of the Rockets and therefore didn't disappoint your hopes of Houston winning a championship.

You always talkin that same old jibberish when somebody speaks high on McGrady, you actually not even replayin to the statements people make.

Where the F... was my previous post hypocritical, where did i say anything about his teams; when did i say he was the best scorer ever?

It really seems you know nothing about basketball as a sport, you only writin emotion-driven bs that doesn't even make sense.
    It's too obvious you only a p.....ed of fan that can't get over the fact we never were a championship team and injuries messed up our hopes.
    And don't act like none of your idols ever quit on their team or demanded a trade.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

you said he was the nba's best scorer when he was in Orlando.

The last season he was the #1 scorer the Magic were 21-61, with no chance to make the playoffs.

When Durant won his scoring titles, the Thunder had over 50 wins each season.

Better players make their teams better.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Kevin Garnett, b****

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah he made the Western Conference finals with the TWolves and won the MVP .
    [​IMG]

Where's Tmac's MVP trophy?

Hell , where's evidence of Tmac even smelling the Western Conference Finals?

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The team was garbage, period.

Durant had Westbrook, Harden, Green, Ibaka....

Better teams make teams better.

Again, no actual point by you.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Cause anyone with a brain knows that Kobe Bryant was always better Tracy McGrady. At least we know Kobe did win championships and any Rocket fan would have loved to have him instead of McGrady.

Kobe > McGrady

always

13. stefanb

stefanb Member

t-mac was better in my opinion. he has a lot more style than durant i think too. he just looks much smoother. the younger nba fans really overlook t-mac and players that came before him. durant is a good player in his own respect but t-mac had better handles, passing, and in my opinion could finish at the rim better. if he hadn't got injured so much he would probably be a hall of famer

14. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

For such moron as you are, I could say about 7 straight first round exits when he was trying his best and playing his best basketball.

When he got his first good lineup with solid partners - he won his MVP title and lost in WCF because of Cassell injury

When T-Mac had a finally good lineup, championship one, he lost Yao in the middle of the season due to injury, won 22 games in a row for our Rox with a role players on the lineup, got the best record for the team after Hakeem era and probably the best Rockets record for last ten and future five years and finished somewhere in the top-10 in MVP race. Not bad for an injury plagued season.

So just shut your freaking mouth and get out of there, preak

15. tinman

Supporting Member

So why did the Rockets actually advance in the playoffs when T-mac wasn't playing with them?

So Tmac is just eternally searching for a team that doesn't suck throughout his NBA career.

We need to talk to David Stern and tell demand to him that he put Tmac on a team that doesn't suck because it's an NBA conspiracy that Kobe, LeBron, Tim Duncan, KG, are on good teams and Tmac isn't.

Tmac fans deserve it!

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What makes him better talent/skill wise? How was he the clearly better player?
    Take away the rings, he had Shaq and Gasol.
    If you think our roster would've won a championship with Kobe instead of T-Mac, that is hilariously stupid.

I want you to bring up real points at least one time, but you always fail to deliver content. None of your posts are logical or fact-based.

17. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Tinman, everyone knows that you are troll

Troll are stupid ones. This is true and this is life

Don't even try to mess with normal people.

Invite jo mama to gay party or gay date and i wish you only best. You would be the nice duo.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Bravo,
    but Tmac would never stay at team for 7 straight years. He wouldn't endure the bad times like Paul Pierce did in order for the good times to start.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

what does this have to do with Durant accomplishing more than Tmac?

As I stated before Tmac is better good at passing..

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

[​IMG]