1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Draymond Green worth the max?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all are STILL trying minimize his accomplishments? He's the 2nd best player on the team with the greatest record of all-time. Just give him some credit already, geez.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Very effective because most of them had actual moves, unlike the bigs of today. Tim Duncan is still very effective today when he plays.

Don't confuse bigs today sucking with bigs from the past not being able to dominate today.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

what a false take. you act like every single pass he makes is just a simple pass to either of those coming off a screen and that hes the only one doing it. no that's definitely not true.

if you think hes just that good playing with them look at the games hes played without them. is he some complete scrub without them? nope

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah its pretty ridiculous. I'll give credit to hard working players proving doubters wrong any day.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Draymond Green is a mouthy trash-talking punk who somehow isn't tossed out of every game for getting in the refs' mugs (and staying there; jeez, the guy talks).

And I would love such a talent on the Rockets.

He's probably what Morey was hoping for in Royce White, talent-wise (instead getting a head case with an obvious mental illness; Morey can be so out of tune with the human element and takes dumb risks on players).

Yes, Draymond Green is worth his contract.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Lamar Odom rarely played with heart and was one of the most frustrating players I've ever watched in the NBA. Kobe was (justifiably) ready to kill the guy on countless occasions for gutless, stupid plays, playing soft and for no-showing at crucial times. He also wasn't a leader in any sort of way. LO was the living, breathing definition of mentally soft.

The comparison is an insult to Green. Green maximizes his talents and leaves it all out on the floor. LO did the opposite most of the time.

Is Green a candy addict? Maybe that's one thing they have in common.

Anthony Mason is a great comparison. One advantage for Mason was his intimidation factor.

1 person likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

no curry against our very own rockets. he still manages 16 asst.

no klay twice this year. he still manages 12 and 8 asst.

is it a plus he plays alongside them. of course it is but at the end of the day hes a pretty good playmaker regardless if they're out there or not.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not all of his assists are like that, but the majority are.

I just watched his triple double highlights from last week against Philly. He had 11 assists. 7 of those came from him having the ball and waiting for his teammates to get open.

So because I think he's playing in a system that inflates his stats, he must be a scrub without them?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

so just because you saw that it must be true throughout right.

every single player in the league plays in a system. that argument is just tiresome at this point. you're faulting the 2nd best player on a championship historic team for figuring out how to play in that system? yeah that's not very logical.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I just watched those highlights. 10 of those assists came from him being stationary and his teammates creating open looks for themselves.

11. mig0s

mig0s Member

You know what, i just checked his season averages and yeah he's pretty good. Please forgive me

Still dont think that he's worth the max. But close

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you really have a misunderstanding on what it means to be a playmaker.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

I believe only a handful of players in the league are worth max as well so i'd somewhat agree with you but money aside, this guy has become a great all around player and any team in the league would love to have him.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's actually harder for the passer to be mobile and the receiver of the pass to be stationary.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL, good point. Mason looks mean. Green looks dumb. Not that Green is actually dumb. But his look will never intimidate anybody.

People confuse max player with franchise player or superstar. "Max" is a relative term, created in the CBA system. Green is clearly not a franchise player. But he is worth the max.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Draymond Green is actually the 3rd best player on the team. He's more replaceable than Curry/Thompson.

And what argument is tiresome? The fact that his stats are inflated from playing with 2 of the best catch & shoot guys in the league?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Actually no he's there 2nd best. The only guy on the team that can guard 1-5 at an elite standard and be as versatile as him. yeah find another player in the league that can do everything DG does. good luck with that.

your argument of system is whats tiresome. its actually irrevelant. DG would still be a playmaker regardless if hes playing with the splash bros or not. You keep trying to knock him but everything says otherwise. Whether this is because you just dont like him thats fine. But I won't knock a player like this.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Klay Thompson is the 2nd most important player to the Warriors' success. Green may be an elite defender with great versatility, but if he were to get injured, the Warriors have 2 sufficient replacements (Barnes/Iggy) and would likely remain one of the favorites to win the title.

If Klay Thompson were to get injured, I don't think the Warriors would have a chance.

It's not irrelevant at all. Look at how he gets the majority of his assists. Like I said before, Curry/Thompson are two of the best catch & shoot players in the league, and their ability to make difficult shots is why Green has such impressive assist numbers.

Let's imagine you took the Rockets' roster and replaced DMo with Draymond Green and Harden with Derozan. Do you think Draymond Green would be as productive with a lineup of Beverley/Derozan/Ariza/Draymond Green/Dwight?

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think that's exactly wekko's point. But the point is only half true. Of course it's harder to pass when the passer is moving. But it is also harder to pass to a moving catcher.

High post passing is not as easy as you think. It involves precise timing and awareness of the movement of not just the cutter you pass to but also the defensive players. Or else you become a turnover machine.

You don't ask your big men to dribble penetrate to make plays. They don't have the speed and handle to do that. But in a high post motion offense, a great passing big man is an absolute key to its success. And not all big men can do it.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither of those guys can do what DG does. that's just delusional. I could use the same claim you just did. If klay got injured you could replace him with iggy and they would still be favorites to win. See how that sounds?

It actually is. This is the NBA. players make shots. regardless of who DG is playing he is still a playmaker. he'll get assist regardless.

And yup with that lineup DG is your best passer/playmaker and would rack up assists like he does now. That shouldn't even be questioned really. That example was actually pretty bad. How could you not even see that