1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Donny Motiejunas really not ready or do we just have something against rookies?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Add Parsons to the list of guys who played early. I think Parsons shows HOU has no antipathy toward playing rookies. If you can help a team win more than the alternative, you get to play. You need to reach that minimal threshold before getting on the court. Meanwhile, you need or learn and improve through individual and team practice whether or not you get minutes.

What make you think it is unlikely that a few mid to late 1st rounders don't beat out established players for minutes right off the bat? And why are you excluding Parsons just because he was a 2nd round pick? Are you saying HOU is only against playing 1st round rookies? Plenty of rookies drafted in mid 1st rd and later are not in the rotation for the first 15, 40, 82 or more games of their career. Nothing unlikely about it. Teams drafting in that range (as opposed to horrible teams with high lotto picks) usually have solid enough players already at the rookies's position and are trying to compete at least for a playoff entry, and the rookie themselves may be less NBA ready than those selected higher.

2. Dei

Dei Member

But Bud was absolutely stinking it up which is why McHale pushed Parsons in. Morris was still transitioning to the 3.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

simple question, whose minutes should be reduced?

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Speaking of Budinger, he is another HOU rookie who got into the rotation early. Patterson also got into the rotation in late December of his rookie season-- first as a result of a Chuck Hayes injury and then by beating out Jordan Hill.

New guys often need an opening to give them that initial opportunity-- an injury, a struggling teammate, a trade, etc. Some opportunities come early, some come later. Happens all the time in this league. HOU's recent pattern with the current and past coaching staffs are totally within league norm.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

douglas'

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He referenced Greg Smith in the OP. But, I don't really think D-Mo is a good option at the 5. I haven't seen the physical strength from him to play average defense as a center and definitely not be a stopper that the perimeter guys can funnel their man to.

Motiejunas will get his opportunity, likely when Patterson and/or Morris have a minor injury that keeps them out of a couple games. If he produces he'll stay in the rotation and force someone else out.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

(Quick unrelated: I do on some level appreciate these Dei threads as they tend to compartmentalize the stupid and keep it out of other places on the message board.)

As far as Donuts goes, he's not better than any of the Rockets' rotation frontcourt players. It's a pretty simple answer, really, but I know in my heart that even the easiest of answers don't subdue threads like these for long.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

It's not about how bad he is in defense, it's about how effective he may be in offense of the bench. Rockets is not that team who have great defensive squad, and in the most games they allowing opponents to score over 90 points per game, in 50% of the games we allow more than 100. So, here is the quastion - do we really need Motiejunas to be really good on defense? I think we much more needed an offensive help of the bench at this point, because we are terrible on that and do not have some bench player averaging double fingers. Sure, Motiejunas not deserved more than 20 minutes per game at this moment, but give him 15 per game and let's how it runs. He averaged 7.9 (#1 Defensive Rebounds and #2 Total Rebounds in Euroleague season) rebounds and 12.5 points (53.1% FG and 30.4% 3PT) in Euroleague last year. He is more ready to play more than other rookies just because he have already playd in Europe with some guys who are worldwide stars.

I just can't understand how coach can't find time for ALL rookies, not just Motiejunas. It's just a joke to keep starters for 35-40 minutes per game. And the biggest joke is Houston drafts, for what the f### you need draft multiple power forwards, and then let them sit on the bench. Wtf, seriuosly

9. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

And then they get traded

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Have you created one good thread ever OP? Seems like every thread you make is a knee-jerk or just stupid.

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If that's what you're arguing, which of the Rockets PFs are stinking it up now? Could it be DMo is transitioning to the NBA game (vs Euroleague), just like Morris was transitioning to the 3 last year (still mostly playing 4 now)?

You gotta think it through before starting a thread.

THINK.
    IT.
    THROUGH.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Well, his supposed like-minded posters have been disassociating themselves from him lately ...

13. Commodore

didn't Morey say earlier this year that Montejunas is our best offensive post player?

14. Grigori

Grigori Member

Watching the Vipers, I think he's not getting playing time right now because he can't guard either the 4 or the 5 in the NBA. The sooner the Rockets figure out that Onotas is a 7' SF, the sooner they can have their poor man's Durant.

;)

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually yes, but he followed that statement up with something like "but its his defense that will probably keep him from contributing early on."

I think D-Mo is viewed as an important player moving forward, but he still needs a year or two to develop physically in order to play in the post where he is suited.

Even though he won't be ready physically yet, I have a feeling we will see alot of D-Mo post trade deadline when Im sure Morey will lighten the PF position. If not, he's going to be a huge focus for the training staff, and player development guys next summer for next season.

16. Arthurprescott2

Someone has to get traded before DMo sees any consistent PT.

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

or injured...we need him...injuries happens see how we were vulnerable without parsons the other night vs OKC...

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Have you ever seen the numbers Mike Harris put up in D-League? I watched the games that D-Mo played in the D-League. He was a combination of good and bad. I'd like to see him get more time in the D-League.

19. Commodore

or if we are getting blown out early (by lets say the Spurs) and Sampson has to try something else

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The Rockets have played 16 games so far. Kenneth faried first 21 games, 18 dnp. Paul George first 29 games, 21 dnp. You should make sure your examples actually support your case. Seems like the Nuggets and Pacers sat the guys who needed to sit, and played the guys who needed to play.

It's not that unusual for rookies to sit, but you don't notice it when someone besides the rockets does it.

1 person likes this.