1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Derrick Williams falling into that bust category?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MambaJoe, Nov 17, 2012.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm looking at that draft, jeez literally no one except for maybe Kyrie has really stood out. But there's a lot of "potential" raw talent picks waiting to "unbust" themselves. But if we do the draft again I think Parsons definitely goes top 10 maybe even top 5

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Leonard stands out, he is actually doing pretty well.

He is Parsons' only competitor for best SF of that class. Though the difference in draft position is quite significant.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I'd take Kenneth Faried #2 in that draft, in hindsight. Weird draft. Or maybe Valanciunas.

I wouldn't take Parsons top 5, but top 10 probably.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Breh just signed with Bayern (weak German league), talk about a downfall.
    That draft class was seriously weird, guys like Klay, Kawhi and Jimmy B went mid to late 1st while total busts were upfront.

5. BackdoorHarden

DMO was in this draft. Little Isiah was the last pick. Pretty Boy Parson was also in this draft.

All I remember from this draft was seeing Jan Vesley in a suit with his hot girlfriend

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  6. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Haha me too. Well and Derrick Williams shooting 3s like free throws in practice.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I disagree with that theory. Expectations can be, in fact generally are, wildly inflated. Failure to live up to wildly unrealistic expectations shouldn't make one a 'bust'...that criticism should go to those who had the inflated expectations to begin with.

Of course, fans don't see it that way. :) So, maybe there are two categories. Perceptual bust, vs actual bust. Fan vs GM views.

Thabeet is a good example. I could make a good case that he is performing exactly as probably should have been expected. Very slow feet, lacking in strength, and got owned by decent, much shorter, players even in college. Not surprised he didn't magically get more athletic in the NBA. Still a bust...but one that should have been expected.

Conversely, say LBJ was a very successful player, frequent All Star, but NOT considered perhaps the GOAT, which many expected. Would such a career be a 'bust' for failing to live up to expectations?

#47 BigDog63, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Marcus Morris actually turned out pretty decent, just took him a long time, I thought he would be out of the league by now

buffalobills!!!, da_juice and A_3PO like this.
  9. da_juice

da_juice Member

What's funny is that Morey was ahead of his time with some of those small ball forward ideas, playing guys like Chuck Hayes at Center etc. He just missed picking up Draymond who would have brought it all together.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And Kawhi Leonard who had all the intangibles and athleticism, minus the shot.

He was the white Chandler Parsons.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Falling into Oblivion - Category.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

MDA can change that real quick