1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Daryl Morey signing J-Smoove as a piece for Love in 2014?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Apr 7, 2013.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just see love as fools gold. His stats are there but he had never lead a team anywhere.

That said, he would be he second banana here and he would be a hell of a number 2.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Exactly. Love as a top option is just okay. Love as a #2? That'd be unreal.

Not to mention his game is literally the perfect compliment to Harden. A Harden-Love pick and roll would just be awesome. Guard the roll and Harden pulls up or takes it to the lane. Guard the drive and Love pops. Double Harden and he can make the play to get Love an easy look. Unstoppable.

3. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

That's exactly how I envision it. Defending that would make coaches/players s**t themselves. I thought he could opt out after next year, but I guess its two years from now? So realistically, if we want him, we need a trade. Wizard Morey do your magic

4. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I'm not calling you ridiculous because I agree with your fair market assessment of Josh Smith, but to think anyone could sign Josh Smith for $9 million a year is ridiculous.

He's going to command a max deal and or no less than $15 million a year. But to sign Josh Smith to use as a trade piece for Love is not a great idea. Minnesota has a young forward who looks to have a good future and if they resign Pekovic their frontcourt would still be solid without Love. Minnesota looks to need a backcourt running mate for Ricky Rubio _ a shooting guard and or small forward and I'm sure we have a small forward they would want.

But I don't believe Morey will sign a big name free agent this off season.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You can't compare those old contracts to the new ones. We can only sign Smith to a 4 year deal and not a 6 year deal like Lewis and Areans got. Howard would probably still be playing for the Magic if the Lewis deal had expired in 2011.

6. amak316

amak316 Member

For the love of god don't sign Josh Smith. Its nice that we have a great GM like Morey because I have a lot of faith he won't have his cap space burning a hole in his pocket.

Josh Smith won't be a trading asset, he'll be the next Amare whos contract you wont be able to unload for free. Its a weak free agent class, if you dont get Dwight or CP3 you're going to be getting screwed.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Thing is, you seem to think minny are idiots. If love leaves, why would they spend their capspace on a bloated non efficient player like Josh Smith? And they are not stuck in mediocrity. They have a young up and coming star in Rubio. Another all star in Love. They would be a playoff team if it weren't for injuries

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If Minny decides to trade Love, I seriously doubt they'd want Josh Smith.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Rockets sign Smith its because the Rockets believe he is the missing piece to winning a title, and his contract will lock this teams payroll up for the next 3 to 5 years. No way they sign him thinking his contract will be tradable in any sense.

If a team like Minny with Love, or Portland with LMA are in a position where they MUST trade either guy, they are likely going the youth, cap-flexibility route, rather than aiming for a first round playoff exit strategy. Josh Smith and Ricky Rubio is not a championship core IMO. I dont think Smith is really viewed as a franchise player in the NBA even though he will be paid that from a team desperate to overpay him to get over the top.

With teams like Dallas, Phoenix, etc. having the ability to offer close to if not full max cap space this Summer... someone will overpay Josh Smith. I just hope thats not the Rockets personally because I do not believe he is the missing piece, and I certainly do not think he will be a trade asset on that large of a contract.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

"J-Smoove" is one of the dumbest names eva.

11. formido

formido Member

A lot of ignorance in here. Josh Smith's effect on winning is profound. Morey has been quoted as saying that he uses adjusted +/- to evaluate players. The state of the art in adjusted +/- is (was) RAPM, and Josh Smith was the 6th best player in the NBA last year according to RAPM:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2012.html

Moreover, he's a good fit for this team because the majority of his effect on winning comes on the defensive end, yet he's STILL a net positive on the offensive end.

Dwight Howard would be better, but the best players in the league almost always gravitate toward bigger markets and more money, so odds are quite low we get Dwight. I'm hoping and expecting to get Smith, because he fits this team better and is more of a competitor than Howard. Luckily, most big markets teams have their cap space locked up, Smith is criminally underrated, and for a competitor like him, our roster situations will look very attractive.

At the max contract that Smith qualifies for, he'd be paid much less than he'd deserve if there were no max contracts in the CBA, so people mocking the idea of him getting a max contract are dead wrong. Luckily, Morey uses an objective and proven grading system, adjusted +/-, so we don't have to worry about him being swayed by misguided public opinion. I'm hoping and expecting to get Smith. If we get him, we'll be instant contenders. In fact, we'll be scary.

12. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

Why not try to get both?:

Sign J-Smoove this off season, no max but $10-12yr
    Work a trade for Love centered around Asik, Lin, DMo, TRob, picks, etc(prob needs to be a 3rd team)

AB/Bev
    Harden/Anderson
    Parsons/TBD (draft pick or MLE signing)
    J Smith/T Jones
    Love/G Smith

Pretty sure that team is a legit threat to every team in the league. You're a bit small at 5 but Smith & T Jones could protect the rim & Love gives you what rebounding you lose with Asik. Imagine the scoring potential of that line up. Fun to watch too.

13. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

I'd would also love to see a JLin-Love PnR, with Harden as the perimeter outlet...kind of like the Stockton-Malone-Hornacek trio...

14. verysimplejason

Max only for LMA. Millsap at around 9-10M per year. Smith and Love aren't worth max money. You only give max money for franchise players or at least near-franchise players and they're not. I'd go for Millsap or LMA, otherwise, just sit tight and make a run at FA's on 2014.

15. trowa2

trowa2 Member

i like al horford more than josh smith

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't want anyone with that stupid nickname on my team.

Millsap please.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Also a very good idea.

When it all comes down to it...there really is just no better fit for the Rockets at PF than Kevin Love.

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Yeah, I hate players with dumb nicknames.

What kind of nickname is "The Beard" anyway? Pfft... :p

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Depends on how you look at it. Love wouldn't average the same amount of rebounds next to Asik as he does next to Pekovic. Asik fights for every possible rebound available. And the Rockets are 8th in rebounding so it's not like they're desperate for a rebounding power forward.

Love's defense isn't all that great and he doesn't protect the rim well.

And he's not an efficient scorer. 18 points on 16 shot attempts per game this season. And his 3 point shooting isn't all that great either (35 percent for career).

If the Rockets are going to stick with this system where they want the 4's to step out and shoot 3's _ it would be a cheaper price to play for close to the same production with Ryan Anderson.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

My GF would kill to have a Rockets jersey t-shirt that says "LOVE" on the back.