1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is college basketball going to be like football this year?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by leroy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Last week, Michigan St. lost to Grand Valley St. (yes, I know it was an "exhibition", but that doesn't make it any less of an upset). I just wonder if this year's college basketball season is going to turn out like college football...no one is safe.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Sorry, Hayesfan! :eek:

I hope the underdogs level the field this year, because my Florida Gators are finally on that side again.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Findlay beat Ohio State the other day too.

I can't imagine how bad UK, MSU and OSU's practices are this week.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

no because UCLA is gonna be great unlike our football team which ...not even going to go into about our football team.

going to the game tomorrow night vs portland state! went to the two exhibition games and they looked really good (of course against weak competition though)

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Two factors I think contribute to the new egalitarianism in colege football were:

1. When the NCAA started limiting the number of scholarships to 85 though it actually began in 1991 I think. No longer could the the majors stock 110 or 120 players, even giving scholarships to players they knew wouldn't start but that they didn't want to be playing against them.

2. The democrtization of information via the internet. Every player has a highlight reel to send coaches. A kid in Amarillo can send his film to 100 coaches nationwide where they used to only be known to the local West Texas scouts. Every team can send a recruiting presentation to 100's of recruits showing their campus facilities and girls, um organizations. It spreads the wealth.

College basketball probably still depends on it's old boy network more with the AAU leagues and the scholarship quotas never really mattered anyway. The difference between a good college team and a great one is usually no more than one maybe two superior players, or at Florida recently 3.

#5 Dubious, Nov 8, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My boy Billy Clyde is gonna right the ship. Tubby left him with nothing, but its still no excuse. I blame it on something other than Gillispie though. He can do wrong.

Have fun with UCLA yoyo. They are gonna be a blast to follow this year.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Not really. A lot of the hooplah about the college football season is created by the media. Michigan loses to Appalachian State, it's talked about for a solid week, since it was on national TV on a Saturday afternoon. Kentucky loses to Gardner-Webb on a Wednesday night, and it gets 30 seconds on Sportscenter at 11:00 pm. College football upsets are discussed a lot more, since there are so much fewer football games than basketball games. Plus, college football regular season games are a lot more important than basketball regular season games, so an upset in college basketball isn't that big of a deal

1 loss in college football = millions of dollars of potential lost bowl money
    1 loss in college basketball = ehh, we're still going to the tourney

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

*giggle*

9. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Can I give Billy Gillespie a big HA HA F*CK YOU from A&M?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya. Bash the man that put our program on the map. Bash the only reason anyone has even heard of A&M basketball. That makes us look knowledgeable sports fans...