1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Eh, the same people consistently put out most of the crap. Take away 5 or 6 of the posters who clog threads but contribute nothing of value, and Clutch fans all of a sudden looks a hell of a lot more intelligent as a group.

Correlation vs. Causation issue. These posters will draw the same conclusions every time regardless of the evidence. It's why clutch fans is so predictable in a sport that is contains knightian uncertainty.

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I was thinking this the entire game. Im tired of holding back letting everyone talk like Capela is some form of up and coming elite C. Hes ****. Dude has no hands, very little coordination, gets backed down too easy, soft as **** offensively, very awkward, a ******* child can swat the ball out of his "iron grip" on the ball down low, doesnt even pass the eye-test.... He still plays the game like a rookie.

3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Who the hell are we suppose to get who's better and doesn't cost anything?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, that's what these threads always turn into.

Is Capela the long term answer?

[Yes, move along, nothing to see here]
    [No, ... OK, so what are our other options? Oh, DeMarcus is a soon-to-be FA! Let's trade for/sign him!]

Who else do you want? Let me guess, if not Cousins, we want Nerlens Noel?

Quickly browsing here...
    Not that they'll have cap space...

DeMarcus Cousins
    Brook Lopez
    Greg Monroe
    Derrick Favors
    Amir Johnson
    Channing Frye
    Ed Davis
    Brandan Wright
    Alex Len
    Nerlens Noel
    Zaza Pachulia
    Tarik Black
    Joel Anthony
    Emeka Okafor
    Kendrick Perkins
    Kris Humphries
    Andrew Bogut
    Jusuf Nurkic(R)
    Lucas Nogueira(R)
    Mo Speights
    JaVale McGee
    Clint Capela(R)
    Stephen Zimmerman(R)
    Johnny O'Bryant

Are we afraid to pay him? Do we think he's getting the max? Could be wrong but I don't think he is. Cap is only projected to go up $2M next year($101M) and $9M($108M) two years from now (from where we are now at $99M).

I don't know where it came from that he was going to be some star; no, he's not going to be but if he didn't become this star, he needs to go.

Fine, you don't want/like/think he's good enough/don't want to pay Capela. Alternatives then?

Now, I will give you he is one of their 'better' trade chips, although is set to become a RFA.

BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. Progs

Progs Member

The corpse of Tyson Chandler>Clint Capela

He's not strong enough. Try and find someone at the deadline or the offseason.

The ideal center for this team would be someone like Vucevic. Capela won't be stopping no one from the Spurs/Warriors in the playoffs, may as well go back at them with offensive prowess but don't know what Vucevic's contract looks like. Oh well.

6. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

My post from the game thread.....

The people banging on capela don't ever seem to mention that he only looks bad or overmatched when he's going up against 2 bigs..... I mean I think capela is great but wtf do you guys expect? He can't guard both. He can't box out both. He can't contest both. He can't dunk on both. When he gets an offensive rebound both guys are standing over him.... truth is that there isn't too many times where Clint getsoutmatched 1 on 1.

He's not getting any help from Ryno on defense.. and literally none on the glass

pgabriel and ballhandling like this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Capela has been one of the bright spots. Just because you want an elite player at every position, doesn’t mean he should live up to these ridiculous standards. I’ll take the praise of old legends on TV and what I’m seeing over this negative and star expectation filled glasses.

8. anchel

anchel Member

Capela is skilled enough to be the center of this team. Problem is he just doesn't play at 100% of his capacity. You see him and realize he could play harder, be more focused, be hungrier, more aggressive...

I also understand he's had no opposition during this traning camp with Nene and Black injuries (Onuaku, Qi and Tucker?). Then he goes against big veteran fellas and struggles. OK. I'll give him a pass, it's preseason. But he should feel like yesterday it was a wake up call. He definitely has to man up if he wants to be our center. Current level is clearly not enough.

Then Chris Paul. First days are all smiles, OK. But he's going to realize if we're not good enough -and why-by December/January. Harden didn't. I want to see what happens when this moment comes.

D-rock likes this.
  9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I only saw part of the game last night for obvious sports-conflict reasons, but what happened to cause this thread? Box scores don't tell the full story, but Capela shot 50%, led both teams in rebounds, and was a +16 in a game the Rockets lost. And when I was watching I heard all sorts of praise from the announcers, so the eye test can't have been horrible.

He's the last person I would have expected a panic-thread about, especially one not started by our resident Capela-hating know-it-all.

skroodup25 likes this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Capela is poised for a good year IMO.

He struggles at times but hes still a top half center in the nba.

He has a ton of gifts but seems mentally out of it, confused, and lost out there sometimes. Foreign player syndrome.

Wheel see what happens

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I disagree, preseason games are important. When this board was young, Kelvin Cato had a great preseason game once and turned that into 6 years and 42 million.

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

Capela needs to play with more energy for sure
    And harden needs to stop throwing passes to his ankles.

ak99999 likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I remember people b****ing about him looking slow (i was one of them) and soft last summer too, and than he made a good season overall...it was a diffilcult preseason game after all, and i mean, i don't think he was the worst out there, Anderson looked like ****, Harden not much better...

I don't get why people want Noel over Capela at this point, i mean, is possible that Noel might be a little better as today, on defense, but on the other hand he's also a certified idiot, kinda injury prone...and on top of that it looks like a player that already reached his ceiling to me, while Capela has still room to grown so...personally i would never switch them at this point unless we are able to get a good asset in the process. Also, no team has offered him a good contract this summer, not even scrubby teams with a huge need of a center like Atlanta, Phoenix and Brooklyn went after him if not for cheap (Atlanta), that probably means something.

If we talk about Cousins it's a totally different argument obviously, still kinda risky due to his attitude, but he's clearly better as a player overall so, at least he's worth the risk.

#33 Vivi, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    RocketWalta, OTMax and Mathloom like this.
  14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I wonder how Drummond would thrive in this offense...lobs galore from CP3 and Beard though....but I prefer a scoring big man that can pass and initiate offense...Vucevic...but defense is questionable...Faried is another one...can solve our defensive rebounding and can catch lobs..defensive liability too

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I've always felt like Capela was replaceable, and I wouldn't mind if he got traded for an older and better center. Problem is that there aren't much out there.

Offensively, Capela is fine and fits this system well enough. He gets like 9 shots a game, and converts on about 5. He could improve on his free throws, but he's learning more towards 60% than 40% which is OK. Still, he is an extra threat on offense and that will help James and Paul tremendously. He's not a shooter like EG and Ryan are, but the lobs our guards will be throwing up for him to catch will hurt almost just as much as a 26 footer from Ryan. With elite shooters, elite passers, and an almost elite lob threat the Rockets offense will be impossible to defend at times if you don't know what you're doing as a defender.

Defensively, that's where I have my questioning on if Capela should be kept. I believe if we really want to contend with Golden State then we need a clear defensive anchor and with Anderson getting more than 25+ minutes a game that means we need the very best of the best for a defensive anchor. Hey, if we could replace Anderson for a guy who's at least acceptable defensively then MAYBE Capela would be fine. But we can't replace Anderson, and Anderson can only defend one position, and poorly at that so we're stuck with a very bad defender at the 4. Something that Capela nor Nene can hide. Our front court is below average defensively, and that will stop us from being an elite defensive team despite getting guys like Luc, Tucker, and CP3 this summer.

Capela is a long and atheltic guy which is great, but he's not defensive team material and he hasn't show me any reason why I think he would reach that level. The Rockets need a defensive anchor that can really hold things down in the paint. Sure, perimeter guys like CP, Trev, and Tucker help A LOT, but in the end the best defenses are anchored by teams with great rim protection and defensive anchors.

OBVIOUSLY, it's mostly a team effort and it's not one big doing it all by himself, but more often than not that one big contributes a lot more than the guards and forwards.

Top 10 DRTG 2016-2017
    1. San Antonio Spurs (Elite coaching)
    2. Golden State Warriors (Draymond Green)
    3. Utah Jazz (Rudy Gobert)
    4. Atlanta Hawks (front court of Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard)
    5. Miami Heat (Hassan Whiteside)
    6. Chicago Bulls (???)
    7. Detroit Pistons (???)
    8. Memphis Grizzlies (Marc Gasol)
    9. New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis)
    10. OKC Thunder (Athletic and long defenders + Steven Adams)

Little Bit likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah again the best conclusions get drawn from them. very important.

17. fattz

fattz Member

We don’t need much out of the center in our system. IMO Black is our man at the right cost. If we play Capela to much we will just drive down his trade value. By keeping his play limited the hope or value remains. He is so replaceable making his value low for the Rockets but around the league no one really knows his true value because he is like a secret because of playing time. PLUS the Harden & CP3 rub. Who knows his real value?

I don’t want to PAY a lot for the “Mysterious Capela”

18. MystikArkitect

It is concerning that Capela can get punked in the block by centers and forwards. Golden State and OKC are probably licking their chops at the thought of having their offenses run through the post against the Rockets.

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Guarantee you he's gonna want it.

SIL

20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Capela and 2 1sts for Gobert

Make it happen Murray

SIL