1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chris Paul running out of steam?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 18, 2018.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think he is losing steam, but I do think giving him a week off would do wonders.

I also think he is cruising.

That being said, playoff Chris Paul is a thing, so whilst being worried is natural I think he'll be fine when the post season starts.

#61 flamingdts, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    htownrox1 likes this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

People need to stop saying this, they are not playing heavy minutes now. Harden's are his lowest minutes ever as a Rocket and Paul is playing the same minutes as he has the last few seasons at 31mpg

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really not concerned about this.

The team looks like it is physically and mentally in cruise control right now.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Half the remaining schedule is against sub .500 teams. Just rest him in all those games.

5. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Watching all his iso's it's fairly obvious that he doesn't want to drive nearly as much, especially against slower bigs. He usually wants to take a that side step 3 going to his left like 70% of the time. I'm not sure if he's 100% healthy, just older, or what, but I really do think at least half of it is he's conserving his drives for when he needs them (the playoffs). He's mentioned in interviews that "no one knows how many more [bursts/drives] they have left".

durvasa likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think he may be hitting a wall. Only 2 PGs on the team makes it tricky. Is 32 minutes/game a little high for an older player?

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I have him resting during the stretch of games vs Hawks, Bulls, Suns leading up to 4 of the
    toughest games on the schedule @ Spurs, Wiz, Blazers, Thunder. CP3/Harden can also rest
    the final two games of the season vs Fakers and Kings....they won’t matter.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A “RudyTbag”, If you will. ;)

BigShasta likes this.
  9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. CP3 at times is legit scared to let it fly from 3 and it's frustrating and baffling. He can't be afraid to miss. He's to good of a shooter especially when wide open to be deferring to Tucker in the corner most of the time.

10. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I don't think 32 is to bad -I'm his min are lower than it was last year; but I do think he is cruising. When the Rockets finally secure that 1st seed I think all the main guys will get rest.

11. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Gotta take it easy. No need to stress his body when playoffs are around the corner.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

From shot data on stats.nba.com, by month:

Code:
    Month   <5ft    total FGA
    Oct      0/0     (9)
    Nov      8/10    (56)
    Dec     15/21    (161)
    Jan     12/23    (209)
    Feb     10/13    (157)
    Mar      7/17    (119)

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully he's just coasting. His missed a good amount of games so he shouldn't be tired. He's made some big shots the last couple of games focusing mainly on the mid-range. Which is perfectly fine.

14. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

are you watching the same games as the rest of us?
    Mr. Durvasa, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

nomiz1987 and Aleron like this.
  15. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

in fact, im appalled at this. Chris looks fine. you've probably watched a handful of games this season while the true fans have watched every single one. sorry to call you out, but you guys are f-ing ridiculous with these threads.

"Chris Paul's Fart Smelled like Gouda is he getting too fat?"
    "James Harden needs to stop combing his beard it is bad luck"
    "We are 2 wins away from our best record ever with 12 games left, better complain about something"
    "Gerald Green shouldn't have pushed Dieng because im gay and that was a hate crime"

16. ballgame

ballgame Member

This!

17. durvasa

apollo33 likes this.
  18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

and he's also getting a lot of "sit in corner" plays that never used to exist.

MVP4THREE likes this.
  19. durvasa

Calm down. Discussing the possibility of a veteran player who is a key to our postseason and our ISO-heavy offense losing a step is a legitimate topic of discussion.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is a ridiculously long season; I imagine all players are running on fumes, especially the older ones. The Greedy NBA needs to reduce the schedule and eliminate back to backs. I can't believe the players association hasn't demanded this.