1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chris Paul or Dwight Howard Better Free-Agent Fit for Houston Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you have to chose one, who?

1. CP3

21.7%
  2. DH12

66.1%
  3. WD-40

12.2%
  1. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

BAM!

[​IMG]
    :grin:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ard-better-free-agent-fit-for-houston-rockets

Pardon for posting a BS Report, but we have no new news for a month, and this article poses a good question and points.

2. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Ewww that smells!

[​IMG]

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Perfect timing to find this thread.

I just finished watching Orlando v GS, 2012.

Dwight Howard 45 points and 23 rebounds.

Sure he's only got two post moves.
    1) Back down and go over the top for a dunk
    2) Back down and running hook

But damn, he looked near unstoppable... on both ends.

If Dwight is healthy and can recapture the form of a year and a half ago... watch out. I just can't see anyone scoring on the inside against Howard and Asik. Offensively you got high pick and rolls or just throw the ball down low to Dwight.

I think Howard is the best fit for Houston

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I want both that graphic rules

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Clearly, CP3 is a more significant upgrade to Lin than Dwight is to Asik.

That said, we aren't ever going to be a championship-level team running spread PnR's with no legitimate inside presence. Our opponents know the way to stymie our offense is to slow the game down, force Harden to ISO and take their chances with us bombing away contested long jumpers. Adding Dwight into the mix changes everything.

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Morey loves Chris Paul.

And he'd fit if Harden's willing to take a back seat (took a back seat to Westbrook and Durant before).

But it would make sense to get Dwight as first priority.

If Dwight decides against coming, why would Paul come?

7. basketballholic

Just think about this for a moment. If we sign Dwight outright and we execute a S&T for Paul using Lin and some of the young guys then if everyone remains healthy we would always have at least one of Paul/Harden and one of Dwight/Asik on the floor for all meaningful minutes. Now add in Chandler.

8. dream1222

dream1222 Member

imagine CP3 alley-oop pass to Asik...

9. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Yeah, I can imagine Asik fumbling it out of bounds.

I want the all-nba big man over the point guard.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I just did. The ball slipped out of Asik's hands.

11. izeroi

izeroi Member

Precisely.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I don't think Lin and some of the young guys would add up to enough for a S&T for Chris Paul (max = 18.7m). You can only S&T for Paul using the salaries of Lin AND Asik, so your plan wouldn't work.

Add to this, Sterling (Clipper's owner) is apparently a hard head that will probably refuse a S&T for Chris Paul knowing that we cannot acquire him without one. Very difficult to force a S&T on the Clippers.

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Has Asik actually made an alley-oop?

I know Harden tried many times but he didn't even jump, the ball just floated out of bounds.

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I chose WD40 because I think this is a trick question.

1 person likes this.
  15. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Rockets needed defense and rebounding more than anything last season.

Dwight Howard

16. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I am up for having both. that would be championship calling out name. we would be the new Miami Heat. but just better.

17. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

That picture is awesome!!

Even though i love CP3 and like someone said above, clearly we would be upgrading a lot more going from Lin to CP3, than asik to howard, but in order to beat teams like Miami, Indiana, new york, ect. we're going to need some big men, and some good defensive players.

We should trust morey knows what hes doing. He can pull a rabbit out of a hat so let him work his magic.

18. rocketfaithful

If we sign and trade for cp3 by getting rid of Lin then I have to go with that. Lin sucks, Asik is a beast, and this is really an argument of what position we are worst at. however I doubt the clippers would start Lin over Bledsoe. I also feel that Bledsoe was not traded at the deadline because they feared that Paul would leave. So I am actually a little optimistic about Paul but feel we would be stuck with Lin who would be getting minutes undeservedly over Beverly and taking up all important cap space. Because lets be honest. even LOF's know Lin is not worth his lofty contract

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can you run a PnR with Paul/Harden? That'd be nasty if it was possible.

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Chris Paul is the better fit for the Rockets.

He adds a legit playmaker and leader to the team who it will be easier to integrate with the Harden focus offense since he loves to distribute the ball. The only issue is what to do about Lin, who I actually like, but Lin off the bench improves this team and there is no doubt that Paul is the better point guard.

Howard people are banking on his defensive ability returning to his pre-injury standard and his offense to not suffer like it did when he was playing with another main option like when he was playing with Kobe in LA. Frankly, given Howards emotional swings and the fact aside from smaller minutes on a USA team, he has never played with playmaking guards that demand the ball this much, I can't trust the idea that he is the best option. He adds a big name and some stronger scoring from a big man position but he doesn't add as much as Chris Paul could IMO.

I just don't think Howard adds enough to make this team a legit contender in the Western Conference, he would if we were in the East but the Western conference is a different animal with more then a few younger up and coming centers and power forwards that will limit Howard.