1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chandler Parsons Untouchable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketboi, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's almost untouchable.

And No, there aren't many guys that can do what Chandler can. The comparisons to Bobby Jones and Detlef Schrempf are apt ones.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

There are plenty of 6-10 dudes that you can have hold wings? I was not aware of this.

He's not untouchable, but if he can continue to defend like he has been then that is a very rare skill-set (for someone as big and mobile as him).

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Stop overvaluing Rockets' players

The height isn't that important, because the height difference is usually negligible with these kinds of players (i.e. a difference of one or two inches). For example, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is a couple of inches shorter, but has a longer wingspan and he can't even get off the bench for Milwaukee. He was a second round pick too. I'm sure plenty of posters will now respond with righteous indignation at the thought of comparing the "untouchable" Parsons to Mbah a Moute. Then again, most people on Clutchfans don't watch much basketball beyond the Rockets.

4. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is a perfect example of what Chandler Parsons is.. a solid role player nothing more.. If Miami foolishly offers Bosh or Lebron in a package that has Chandler in it. You do it

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Since the all-star break Parsons is averaging 12 pts, 5.5 rebs, 3.1 assists, 52% field goals, 35% 3pts. Great defense.

Those are great numbers for a rookie and among the best of his draft class. Right now I would not trade Parsons for a chance to draft Harrison Barnes.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

In Kevin Durant's rookie season, he shot 43% from the field, 28% from the 3-point line, and 87% from the FT line.

In Lebron's rookie season, he shot 41.7% from the field, 29% from the 3-point line, and 74% from the FT line.

In Melo's rookie season, he shot 42% from the field, 32% from the 3-point line, and 78% from the FT line.

Parsons is currently shooting 46/32/47. He's obviously been woeful from the FT line and I would say his FT shooting woes have caused him to be less aggressive than he can be going to the hoop because he probably wants to avoid going to the line.

I'm not saying Parsons can be Lebron or Durant or Melo. They are the best in the business and at least one and maybe all 3 could go down among the greatest of all time. When you compare Parson's rookie season in light of their rookie seasons, you can see the possibilities. If he can learn to shoot consistently.....if he can learn to shoot FTs at a consistent 75% clip...if he can get more shot repitition and move his percentages a little higher from the field.........and if he can develop his handle just a little bit more, learn to do the through the legs dribble for change of direction and continue to work on his crossover....then he could turn into a very, very special player.

And none of what I just mentioned are out of his reach. He's already got a very good steady handle that he can add to. He's already got good shooting form that just needs to be tweaked a bit. And he's already got the work ethic to spend the time during the summer getting better. And if he gets any better defensively he will be one of the very top defenders in the NBA. He's already way, way above average defensively. He's already in the top 10% of the league defensively.

Parson's game is sitting there waiting to explode if he can simply deal with the mental block and mechanical shooting issues. It's all there. The IQ, the work ethic, the fundamental skills, the floor vision, the size, the diversified skill sets. IT'S ALL THERE WAITING TO BE HONED TO A FINE EDGE!

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yeah and add to the fact that Parsons is becoming an elite defender. Really much more than I ever anticipated from the guy. And he has just gotten better and better as the season has gone on. I don't want to jinx it but I do think the guy has all star potential. We will just have to wait and see if he can take that next step after an off season and a full sophmore season.

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too funny. They both excellent defenders, but Parsons can guard basically 1-4, LRMM can not. This is where the comparison stops. LRMM does not have the handles, court vision, potential mid range or three point shooting capabilities, or even the offensive basketball IQ that Parsons has RIGHT NOW. Oh, Parsons is just a rookie.

9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

If he were asian, then yes.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why would anyone on this team be untouchable? When you show me a guy who can make multiple all star games, then I'll show u untouchable.

11. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Miss me?