1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chandler Parsons Untouchable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketboi, Mar 26, 2012.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Chandler parsons is not an average athlete, he's 6 freakin 10 and guards Kobe Bryant and all the top wings we play. Plus he's a high riser and runs the floor very fast and constantly burns other small forwards with his quick first step. If you want to tell me he's not going to be a superstar that's fine but you absolutely cannot call him an average athlete. All the skills are there with the size and athletism to be a very good Allstar type player but his mentality has to be a certain way in order for him to be a superstar. I see a lot of the early years Lamar odom when he played mainly at the sf spot both good size and athletism mixed with the ball handling and court vision of a 2 guard but parsons is a better defender and 3 point shooter at this stage and to me has a higher ceiling than odom but if he could turn out to be a player like him were in good shape with cp slammer.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Size has nothing to do with athleticism or vice versa, bro. Size is size. Athleticism is athleticism. They are two different things. I'm not denying Parsons has excellent height for the position, he does. That's his one great physical attribute... but you need more than 1 to be a superstar.

And no, he's not a very high riser. Watch the highlights where he dunks, the top of his head rarely gets to the bottom of the rim. He has a two foot and change vertical, not bad but nothing spectacular. Not particularly explosive either.

He burns guys with his first step sometimes because he usually has the worst defender on the opposing team guarding him, and that defender is often paying more attention to his rotations than to Parsons. These are just facts. I don't think he's going to be burning Andre Iguodala with his first step, for instance.

I like Parsons a lot but I just don't see the raw physical tools or the shooting ability to be a star player. There is nothing wrong with that, he can be an excellent roleplayer and still be great to have on the team.

1 person likes this.
  3. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

I think you underestimate the Bieber Effect :cool:

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Lets just pray he continues to play the way he has and doesn't hit "The Sophmore Wall", aka the wall both Budinger and Patterson have hit.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Luckily, he has a very balanced game and doesn't need his shot to be falling to produce value on the court. He helps out in a lot of ways.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Besides Lowry, Dragon, Scola he is already the most valuable player asset we have.
    He is only going to get better.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Larry Bird wasn't an athletic freak that played above the rim, but what an amazing player he was. Kyle Lowry was a horrible three point shooter, but this year his percentage is almost 39%. Chuck Hayes was maybe the worst free throw shooter in the league, now his FT percentage is approaching 70%. Some players, with a lot of hard work can turn a weakness into a strength, and some players without great athletic ability become great players because they just know haw to play the game..

There is just something about Parsons that makes me think he could become something really special. He just has great basketball instincts and if he works on his three point shooting and free throw percentage then lookout, sky is the limit. I would say he should be untouchable unless we get a big time young star in return.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Larry Bird was one of the best jump shooters in the history of basketball. If Parsons was an elite shooter maybe I would think he could be a star.

Lowry is not a superstar. Chuck is not a superstar.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course.... otherwise everyone would have one.
    There are only arguably 6 bullet-proof superstars....plus those on the shortlist... 8 semi-superstars

Hard to find one or to make one.

10. aggie87

aggie87 Member

omg, not this again....

nobody is untouchable until we land a durant, lebron, rose, howard caliber player.....

and once he shows up on the scouting report, his offensive production will tone down...

its like Landry and Brooks all over again.... even Luther Head had a stretch of game where he was scoring 15-20 points and we all thought he was something special

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The point I was trying to make was that although Parsons is not an elite shooter at this point in his career, he could show dramatic improvement over the next couple of years. I used Lowry and Hayes as examples of players that had glaring weaknesses in their games, but had worked hard to dramatically improve those weaknesses. I never said, nor was I trying to imply that either Lowry or Hayes are supertars.

12. Ashes

Ashes Member

Come on now.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Like it, or not, if we are going to get a franchise player in a trade, Parsons will be the first to go. I do not think Morey will have any players that is untouchable unless he becomes a franchise (superstar) player which the Rockets do not have. I believe Parsons in the long run will be an All-Star sooner than later, once he gets the FT shooting going, he is going to be 20 and 10 player, or triple double threat every night.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Was his defense why Nowitzki went 5-17 tonight? Or was Dirk just off his game?

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He didn't guard Dirk most of the time I saw. I didn't watch the 2nd half though.

16. jocar

jocar Member

+10, Les is a stubborn dick. It would up viewers, and ease Worrell's recent pessimism. New energy, tempo, feel... ok maybe I just can't stand listening to Clyde anymore, but some of these are legit reasons.

17. jocar

jocar Member

Clyde is a never ending Suit Mart/Big and Tall commercial, and this is my first time as a Rox fan that I have to stream games and mute the tv

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

He is a value given that he was a 2nd rd draft pick and is locked into a low level salary contract. But he's not untouchable. There are plenty of players like Parsons in this league.

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

When someone joins the rockets they become assets.

20. nemac

nemac Member

Chandler is a consummate professional. I hope he retires an asset.