1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Chandler Parsons Untouchable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketboi, Mar 26, 2012.

1. CmonNow

CmonNow Member

I like Parsons and we definitely got a steal by drafting him but here are the facts:

PPG: 9.0 League Average: 9.0
    RPG: 5.0 League Average: 4.5
    AST: 2.2 League Average: 1.4
    STL: 1.0 League Average: 0.8
    BPG: 0.5 League Average: 0.9
    FG%: .463 League Average: .449

His game is very well rounded but hes barely above average in any of the key stats. He is the "jack of all trades, master of none"

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What Jay Bilas was getting at I think is that Parson's was always leaving you wanting more selfishness in a way that it actually turned off some GM's and scouts that were looking at "high celing talent" for a 1st round pick. Parsons nailed himself into that "glue-guy" role at Florida and never really tried to prove to anyone that he was the man and dominate offensively. In all actuality, he is the better NBA player now for not giving in to that notion and staying true to his all around "team first" mentality.

The "intrigue factor" gets NBA GM's to do crazy things all the time. Like pass up on a very good player in Chandler Parsons because they label him as a glue guy and they dont think he has that "intrigue factor." You hear it all the time. This guy, or that guy is "intriguing" to scouts. That factor even got to Morey himself when he traded a late first round pick for Terrence Williams, and took a flyer on Hasheem Thabeet.

I think all GM's and scouts knew Parsons could do all the things he has done so far, they just didnt think he could it as good as he has. Which speaks volumes to his intelligence and work ethic to improve his skills this quick.

3. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Nobody else was giving up anything for Thabeet. ANd no other team was giving up a 1st rounder for TWill

Morey simply goofed there big time

Whenever a team is trading you a high loterry player after 1 season, chances are they arent a good player.. probably a bust

Dont know why we were expecting anything from these guys

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Parsons has all the tools to be a super star in this league in a few years; granted he stays healthy and has no setbacks. We shouldn't trade him but he would easily be traded in a package for Howard or Lebron or Wade or someone like that.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe no other GM out there was offering anything for Thabeet and Terrence Williams, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't that "intrigue factor." Why else do you think that Williams is the single most polorizing player discussed on Clutchfans? Why is it that so many analysts continue to discuss his freakish athleticism and talent despite poor previous results?

Im not talking about how good those deals where. Im talking about how even the most calculated, and precise GM in the business can give into that "what if" high ceiling talent despite their accomplishments, or lack there of at the previous level.

6. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

agreed

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I still don't see this. In fact I violently disagree with it. He was a 2nd round pick for a reason. He does not have the kind of athleticism of a superstar, nor elite shooting ability to make up for his average athleticism. He is never going to be an elite player on the offensive end. Absolute best case scenario he is a borderline all-star who plays very well on both ends, but not at a superstar level.

8. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Your right. no athleticism whatsoever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NVjioY6m_Y0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zggDyCohEtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_GFsFGlbiBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I didn't say he has no athleticism, I said he has average athleticism. Which is true. His ability to dunk like that is because he has very good length. He actually isn't super-explosive, doesn't jump extremely high, doesn't have an elite first step. His only "plus" physical tool is his height. He mostly depends on skill and effort and basketball IQ. Those make him a very good player, but to be a superstar in today's game you need to be an exceptional athlete, not just a decent one.

10. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

To me theres like 4 untouchable players in the NBA.
    Derrick Rose
    Dwight Howard
    Kevin Durant
    Lebron James
    and maybe Kevin Love
    So no. Chandler Parsons is not untouchable.

11. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

[​IMG]

he begs to differ

12. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

seriously....
    k love?

why not wade or kobe or blake griffin?

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

He ain't untouchable but you better be getting a star/superstar player in return.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Have you ever heard the phrase, "the exception that proves the rule"? There are exceptions to every rule, but 19 out of every 20 superstars in the last couple generations have had elite athleticism.

15. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Kobe is on the downside of his career . . . so trading him for good talent would make sense . . . Blake Griffin has shown me nothing aside from a high scoring average and spectacular dunk plays. There is no reason he shoudln't be one of the best shotblockers in the league. His ceiling is the highest of perhaps anyone in the league, but I think he still has a lot of maturity issues to work out and until I see that I wouldn't deem him as "untouchable".

16. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

Question for everyone on Chandler -

Do the knee-jerks pull a 180 when he hits the rookie wall - and when is that going to happen??

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not enough games left to hit a rookie wall. If he shot 25% the rest of the way it would still be a good rookie season.

18. lalala902102001

Nobody on this medicore team is untouchable, but you have to get fair value.

How many NBA fans outside Houston do you think even heard of Chandler Parsons?

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't care who else has heard of him, i could not care less about name recognition. In fact his lack of name recognition is part of the reason i would be unlikely to trade him.

I don't think we'll get equal value for him, and his extremely friendly contract. So he's borderline untouchable. Last player I would be willing to trade on this roster.

But nobody on this team is nearly good enough to be truly untouchable.

20. bongman

bongman Member

I guess this will be subjective for everybody. Given the advantage of hindsight, where would you have drafted Parsons last year knowing what you now? Personally for me, he would be on the top 10.

I would not risk my top 10 draft pick whom I know can defend, play team ball, has a good awareness on the court and has proven he can do this on the nba level for a 7th pick that has yet to play an NBA game (regardless of what everybody thinks of this person's ceiling is)

Just my 5 cents