1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chandler Parsons our guy moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Jan 19, 2013.

1. alethios

alethios Member

Or is he our forward guy moving? Trade deadline hasn't passed us yet...

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Parsons can easily be a top defensive player again once he doesn't have to focus on offense nearly as much. If Dwight were on this team, he will probably focus more on defense.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

You only sell him if you're getting a star in return. Maybe a top 5 pick in the draft.

We win whether we keep him or trade him.

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Boy, the grass is really greener on the other side, hmm?

When you sort the small forwards under age 26 by win shares, the list is:

1) Kevin Durant
    2) Paul George
    3) Danilo Gallinari
    4) Chandler Parsons
    5) Nicolas Batum

For all around game, I'll live with that. For defense? He was in statistically elite company last year among isolation defenders. He's not this year, but the potential is still there.

As the need for upgrades go, small forward is at worst our third weakest position.

5. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think people are maligning him because of where he was picked. I think every team needs a guy like Parson who can do a little of everything but doesn't get too upset if he doesn't get his touches. I actually think his shooting has gotten better since the beginning of the season. I'm definitly on Team Chandler. I think he's Mr. Right.

6. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

When I watched the Rising Stars game I noticed Parsons was one of the most least talented players on the court.

I think Parsons is a decent player but the Rockets could use more out of that postion. In this wide open fast paced offense he should be averaging more than what he does. As of right now he's inconsistent offensively, limited rebounding for a 6-9 guy, and his defense has been just as bad as everyone else's, he's soft in the paint, and he hardly has any explosion.

And this is arguably the 2nd best player on the team...lol..

Parsons is a beneficiary of playing with Harden (and Lin). Mostly all these guys shots are wide open.

Just like Lowry, Parsons may be more valuable as a trade piece than on the team. And if Morey could sucker a GM into trading a player and their 1st round pick for Parsons, I would be kool with that.

7. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Lol you serious? B/c you know, everyone tries his hardest in a game that's suppose to be fun and doesn't matter. Apparently Faried didn't get that memo and went HAM on everyone. He really wanted that trophy.

8. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think we need to keep him. Every contending team has that glue guy that holds it all together. He's a perfect fit.

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

That's ridiculous even if he made more money he would still be here. Parsons is a very good young player and if he can just get his D back to what it was last year that puts him as a top defender at the 3.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well they shouldn't be in a rush to trade him. He's one hell of a value for now.

The bottom line is we need a star upgrade at the 1,3,4, or 5. If that means Parsons has to go, then he has to go. I'm not sure he can get his shot down consistently to move up from his current level.

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I can tell you weren't watching Rocket games last year, he played as an elite perimeter defender then.

12. ashiin

ashiin Member

Unless we're bringing somebody insanely good in Parsons is most definitely our guy moving forward.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree with this in general. I do think he'll get better between this season and next, but don't think he will be an all star. Lin is the most interesting one to me. I think he has a decent chance to be an all star. He just needs to adapt to teams playing off him when he doesn't have the ball.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is definitely our forward who is guy-moving.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Chandler Parsons defense has not been as bad as some have said in this thread. Having said that, I suspect that once Parsons is a 4th or 5th option on the floor his defense will improve greatly. He did it last year, and there is no reason he cannot again.

The correct answer is Parsons is our 3-4 going forward until he isn't. Morey will only deal him if it gets us a better player.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you limited to 26 and under. Obviously that leaves a Lebron and Melo off the list, and both of those guys you'd clearly take over Parsons (well Melo might not be the best fit but you get the idea).

But it's not a really really deep position... like PG is.

Fortunately I don't think DM operates in a "this is our guy we're not trading him" environment. If someone offers to give you something better than Parsons in return then you trade him. Given his age and contract, if you are just getting equal value in return, unless it opens up other trade flexibility, then you don't trade him... pretty simple.

17. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Good guy. Popular with the fans especially the ladies and bi-curious men (surprising number of them on GARM!). But basketball wise he's a below average starting SF in the NBA. That's fine. You don't need to have great players at each position to win a title. Every championship team has had average players getting it done. He doesn't shoot great though he has good range. Doesn't play defense at all despite what it looked like last year. And he can't create his own shot - everything is off Harden and Lin's playmaking. It's not effort...it's a lack of athleticism which you can't fix.
    But I wouldn't keep him around if you can trade him for a star, obviously. He's overrated on GARM.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

No one on this team is untouchable. Parsons is a nice player and deserves a big pay raise, but if he's part of a trade to get us a legitimate star I don't think anyone here would object.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets defense is so disjointed at this time it is a wonder that anyone can determine the performance of any of the wings. Maybe defense requires practice time to get the NBA rotations down? And lets face it, in today's NBA it is almost impossible to consistently tie down athletic wings one on one. Even the greatest wing defenders rely heavily on help defenses and the support they offer. That and denying the offensive player certain shots.

20. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea, if you say so. And if you think Parsons was amongst the most talented players of that group _ keep dreaming...